• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Dodge Charger SE bring it back to life

Sort of too bad but on the upside you'll do it right and you'll know it's good.

Thought I should start a thread here on my 1972 Charger SE. The car has an interesting story that I thought some folks might appreciate. The car was a barn find car I guess, although it was stored inside for most of its life. The story starts a few months back when my cousin gets a call out of the blue from the son of an old boss he worked for many years ago. The son asked my cousin if he could store a few cars over at his place as his dads girl friend had someone push the cars outside and was starting to sell parts off of the cars. A few days go by and the cars arrived. A Testarossa, Pantera, ZR1 Vette, 32 Ford Vicki, and the Charger. I had flown out to my cousins place to take in a few car events including the Mecum auction. This was back in August. I took one look at the car and bought it.
So the car had been through a few things back when it was driven a bit, about 1 month after he bought it new, the car was keyed. So the car has one re-paint. About three months after he got the car it was gone from his driveway after a night of partying with a coupla gals. After the police report was filed and a few days passed, the gals returned with the car none the worst for wear.
At some point he bought a wrecked 71 Rally with a 440 6 pack in it and swapped the hood along with all the 6 pack parts. That is how I received the car. The odometer shows about 4.5 miles on it, but as several members have pointed out it is doubtful that is is actual miles due to a few items related to the odo as not being original. #1 is the bezel in the car which I guess wasn't available in 72.

Anyway, that is the background of the car, it is in nice shape for sure, but it did sit outside for about two years and it shows. The very first thing I will be doing is an engine soak as seeing how it sat for well over twenty years, the engine is stuck! The other day I did manage to get the plugs out, and then last night I filled each cylinder with Knock'er loose (s). We'll see how it goes! I pulled the radiator out as I'll have it pressure tested before re-install.

The car has a few neat options on it. The car has the 440 HiPo along with the automatic. Front and rear sway bars, factory sun roof, AC, tinted glass, power windows, black vinyl top, dual racing mirrors, and concealed headlamps. A few other items that I don't understand how to decode the trim tag.

Also, enclosed are two pics that show a Gear Vendors Over/Under drive box and what seems to be a factory cassette deck with a mic option?!?! I don't have the Mic though.

So I had also thought the tires were original to the car, but if I am decoding them correctly, it seems the date is 13th week of 1979.

Anyway, the plan is to get the engine to rotate, then throw some new plugs/wires at it. get it to fire and then drop the oil and check the trans fluid etc. I think the rear trans seal is shot, I'll need to replace it. The biggest issue right now is the wiring. Not sure what they were trying to accomplish as the steering column was just hanging there and a bunch of wires are disconnected. I now have a FSM on order so I can start tracing things out. I know for whatever reason the cruise connector is not hooked up and I can't find the other end that goes through the fire wall. misc other connectors under the dash are hanging there. I haven't even looked at the brakes yet, but it does have some brake as I used them to get it off the trailer.

I appreciate the help so far on a few questions I've asked on this forum. I haven't owned a Mopar since I was very young!!

View attachment 1541485

View attachment 1541486

View attachment 1541487

View attachment 1541488

View attachment 1541491

View attachment 1541492

Thought I should start a thread here on my 1972 Charger SE. The car has an interesting story that I thought some folks might appreciate. The car was a barn find car I guess, although it was stored inside for most of its life. The story starts a few months back when my cousin gets a call out of the blue from the son of an old boss he worked for many years ago. The son asked my cousin if he could store a few cars over at his place as his dads girl friend had someone push the cars outside and was starting to sell parts off of the cars. A few days go by and the cars arrived. A Testarossa, Pantera, ZR1 Vette, 32 Ford Vicki, and the Charger. I had flown out to my cousins place to take in a few car events including the Mecum auction. This was back in August. I took one look at the car and bought it.
So the car had been through a few things back when it was driven a bit, about 1 month after he bought it new, the car was keyed. So the car has one re-paint. About three months after he got the car it was gone from his driveway after a night of partying with a coupla gals. After the police report was filed and a few days passed, the gals returned with the car none the worst for wear.
At some point he bought a wrecked 71 Rally with a 440 6 pack in it and swapped the hood along with all the 6 pack parts. That is how I received the car. The odometer shows about 4.5 miles on it, but as several members have pointed out it is doubtful that is is actual miles due to a few items related to the odo as not being original. #1 is the bezel in the car which I guess wasn't available in 72.

Anyway, that is the background of the car, it is in nice shape for sure, but it did sit outside for about two years and it shows. The very first thing I will be doing is an engine soak as seeing how it sat for well over twenty years, the engine is stuck! The other day I did manage to get the plugs out, and then last night I filled each cylinder with Knock'er loose (s). We'll see how it goes! I pulled the radiator out as I'll have it pressure tested before re-install.

The car has a few neat options on it. The car has the 440 HiPo along with the automatic. Front and rear sway bars, factory sun roof, AC, tinted glass, power windows, black vinyl top, dual racing mirrors, and concealed headlamps. A few other items that I don't understand how to decode the trim tag.

Also, enclosed are two pics that show a Gear Vendors Over/Under drive box and what seems to be a factory cassette deck with a mic option?!?! I don't have the Mic though.

So I had also thought the tires were original to the car, but if I am decoding them correctly, it seems the date is 13th week of 1979.

Anyway, the plan is to get the engine to rotate, then throw some new plugs/wires at it. get it to fire and then drop the oil and check the trans fluid etc. I think the rear trans seal is shot, I'll need to replace it. The biggest issue right now is the wiring. Not sure what they were trying to accomplish as the steering column was just hanging there and a bunch of wires are disconnected. I now have a FSM on order so I can start tracing things out. I know for whatever reason the cruise connector is not hooked up and I can't find the other end that goes through the fire wall. misc other connectors under the dash are hanging there. I haven't even looked at the brakes yet, but it does have some brake as I used them to get it off the trailer.

I appreciate the help so far on a few questions I've asked on this forum. I haven't owned a Mopar since I was very young!!

View attachment 1541485

View attachment 1541486

View attachment 1541487

View attachment 1541488

View attachment 1541491

View attachment 1541492
Another update to operation SE get er goin! So I am still trying to get the motor to turn over or I guess break loose. I need this to happen so I can get to the flywheel bolts. Unless I can move the motor ahead far enough to bring the flywheel along with the torque converter out. Or I guess the motor and transmission. I did get the oil pan dropped and thankfully the crank and rods etc look fantastic. Even the cylinders look great. The first pic enclosed shows my setup for filling the cylinders full of Vinegar. I let the stuff boil for about 4 days. After that, I removed the plate and bingo, no more rust. Pretty neat deal. I had forgotten how well Vinegar works as a rust remover. Second picture is where I'm at right now. Need ideas on what to do to break this thing loose!

Also, I've decided I'm going to bring this thing back to its original setup, ie the 4 barrel manifold and carburetor. Makes more sense than trying to figure out the 6 pack setup that was put on it. I'll shelf that for now. I'll need to research what carb and manifold will be most authentic to for the 72 440.

Attachments

• 20231206_125643[1].jpg
    20231206_125643[1].jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20231220_085102[1].jpg
    20231220_085102[1].jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 34
Time for another quick update. I created a template of sorts so I could soak the cylinders in vinegar, **** works great! 1st pic is before, the 2nd during, and the 3rd pic after. I also had a chance to drop the oil pan and the bottom end looks very clean. This is great news. Right now, even after the soak, the motor is still stuck. I'm not real sure how hard to try as I'm afraid I might just twist the crank bolt right off.

Also I've made the decision to put the top of the engine back to OEM. I've sourced a manifold and block, but I am really confused on the correct air Cleaner? Even when looking at a web site that had all of the air cleaners from back in the late 50's up and through the 70's I'm still confused. Should it be a dual snorkel cleaner? Anyway, still need the engine loose to get at all the flywheel bolts to pull the thing.

20231127_120211[1].jpg

20231206_125643[1].jpg

20240103_102637[1].jpg

Orange, dual snorkle air cleaner with rectangular snorkles. Time will loosen it up, keep trying it.

Just pull the engine with the torque converter attached. Once it’s out you can remove the converter and flex plate. Once it’s on a stand you can unbolt and beat whatever it takes to get the pistons out.
Travis..

Instead of vinegar, try auto trans fluid, or even WD-40.

View attachment 1541485

View attachment 1541486

View attachment 1541487

View attachment 1541488

View attachment 1541491

View attachment 1541492
I was not really getting anywhere on the engine tonight, so I decided I should have a look around for the build sheet. I had looked under the back seat and behind the glove box a while back. Just for the heck of it I grabbed a light and stuck it under the driver's side seat. Bingo! Now I just need to figure out what it all means...

20240104_190550.jpg

20240104_190545.jpg

20240104_190538.jpg

20240104_190529.jpg

20240104_185333.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on finding the build sheet! When I have to unbolt the exhaust manifolds,that last bolt on the drivers side manifold back near the firewall can be tough to get broken loose. I usually put a deep 9/16 socket on the bolt first,then slide the ratchet carefully in between the brake booster and steering column shaft and get it onto the socket. You have to position the square part of the ratchet so it will line up with the socket and push it onto the socket, then you will be able to break the nut loose.

Here is the breakdown of the Broadcast sheet:

1972 Dodge Broadcast Sheet

E86 440-4 HD/hp/police
D34 SD 727 TorqueFlite Trans
D56 3.55:1 69-74 DB-Size = 3 D91 S/G = 1
U86 g60x15 rwl polyglass
Trim Code = V3 & X9 NEED TO DECODE
UDF Color = TX9
Paint Style = V01 mono tone paint
Body Paint = TX9
Roof PNT/Style Top = V1X
Stripe K = V1X WHAT IS THIS?
Stripe V = V7W WHAT IS THIS?
Steering Column = 451X97005
Steering Wheel = 12X9
Horn Pad = 13X9
Radiator = 11
Radiator Inlet Hose = 57
??? Can't read it next to the inlet hose = 11
Fan = 16
Fan SPA = 60
Bat = 69
Vac Fit = 11
Engine = 774
Carb = 71
Trans = 848
Pin = 35
P/Shaft = 101
Axle = 046
Wheels Color:
Road = 71
Color = TX8
Spare = 70
Wheel Cover = 22
Frame = 79
FT Sway bar = 61
Shock:
Front = 03
Rear = 05
Y = 3- = 7
Torsion Bar = LT = 779, RT = 778
Rear Spring = LT = 212, RT = 212
Clutch/Brake Pedal = 6701
Labels = Vec = 29, Tire = 22
Exhaust = LT(?) = 993, RT = 976
Tail Pipe = LT=03, RT = 02
Car Height = BP3
Mas Cyl = 45
Time = 0871
Carpet Mat = FT = 36, Color = X8, RR = 92
Wiring = Eng FT = 67, Eng RR = 66, H/LP = 58
Pully = Drive = 82, Fan = 85
Drive Belt = Fan = 00(kind of blurred), P/STG = 48, A/C = 14, A/INJ = 56
CONSOLE-SEATS-BELTS-FLOORING:
Seat Belts = 12
Rear Arm Rests 23 = 3
Seats 5 = 4
Foam Seats 6 = 5
Carpet or Matts 9 = 3
Acc Floor Matts 10 = 2
BRAKES:
Rear Size 2 = 8
Disc 4 = 1
Power 51 = 1

COMBINATION GROUPS A:76

HEATER - AC H:
FT Heater A/Con = 51
RR Heater or Defroster = 31

GLASS - MIRRORS:
GLASS = 11
Mirror LT/RT = 7
Mirror inside = 1

HEAVY DUTY FLEET:
Alter 1 = 1
Battery 2 = 5

MISC:
Glove Lock = 1
Cigar Lighter = 5
Elec Clock = 1
Wipers 3 sp/var = 5
Horns = 1
I/P MTD Hood Release = 2
Under Coat = 5
Instr Panel = 7
Glove Box Light = 1
Ash Tray Light = 5
Cargo / Trunk Light = 5
Fnd/Hood Turn Ind = 1
Conc HD/LP = 7

MOLDINGS-EXTERIOR TRIM:
Drip Trough = 1
Wheel Lip = 6
FT. Bumper Periphery = 8
Belt = 1
Deck Lid Finish Panel = 6
Sun Roof = 1
Ing. Switch Time delay = 5
H/Lamp DN Signal = 2

ENGINE ACCESSORIES:
Elec Ing System = 3
Dual Exhaust = 1
Exhaust Tips = 2
Cooling Less ?? = 51
Emis. Control = 5
Cali Lab = 8

POWER ITEMS:
Windows = 1

RADIO - ANT - SPKERS:
Radio = 36
Speaker = 1

SUSPENSION - STEERING:
Susp = 3
Shocks = 5
Rear Sway Bar = 1
Front Sway Bar = ?? Can't read it
Power Steering = 1?? Can't read it

WH/COVER:
Road Wheels = 2

Here is the breakdown of the Broadcast sheet:

1972 Dodge Broadcast Sheet

E86 440-4 HD/hp/police
D34 SD 727 TorqueFlite Trans
D56 3.55:1 69-74 DB-Size = 3 D91 S/G = 1
U86 g60x15 rwl polyglass
Trim Code = V3 & X9 NEED TO DECODE
UDF Color = TX9
Paint Style = V01 mono tone paint
Body Paint = TX9
Roof PNT/Style Top = V1X
Stripe K = V1X WHAT IS THIS?
Stripe V = V7W WHAT IS THIS?
Steering Column = 451X97005
Steering Wheel = 12X9
Horn Pad = 13X9
Radiator = 11
Radiator Inlet Hose = 57
??? Can't read it next to the inlet hose = 11
Fan = 16
Fan SPA = 60
Bat = 69
Vac Fit = 11
Engine = 774
Carb = 71
Trans = 848
Pin = 35
P/Shaft = 101
Axle = 046
Wheels Color:
Road = 71
Color = TX8
Spare = 70
Wheel Cover = 22
Frame = 79
FT Sway bar = 61
Shock:
Front = 03
Rear = 05
Y = 3- = 7
Torsion Bar = LT = 779, RT = 778
Rear Spring = LT = 212, RT = 212
Clutch/Brake Pedal = 6701
Labels = Vec = 29, Tire = 22
Exhaust = LT(?) = 993, RT = 976
Tail Pipe = LT=03, RT = 02
Car Height = BP3
Mas Cyl = 45
Time = 0871
Carpet Mat = FT = 36, Color = X8, RR = 92
Wiring = Eng FT = 67, Eng RR = 66, H/LP = 58
Pully = Drive = 82, Fan = 85
Drive Belt = Fan = 00(kind of blurred), P/STG = 48, A/C = 14, A/INJ = 56
CONSOLE-SEATS-BELTS-FLOORING:
Seat Belts = 12
Rear Arm Rests 23 = 3
Seats 5 = 4
Foam Seats 6 = 5
Carpet or Matts 9 = 3
Acc Floor Matts 10 = 2
BRAKES:
Rear Size 2 = 8
Disc 4 = 1
Power 51 = 1

COMBINATION GROUPS A:76

HEATER - AC H:
FT Heater A/Con = 51
RR Heater or Defroster = 31

GLASS - MIRRORS:
GLASS = 11
Mirror LT/RT = 7
Mirror inside = 1

HEAVY DUTY FLEET:
Alter 1 = 1
Battery 2 = 5

MISC:
Glove Lock = 1
Cigar Lighter = 5
Elec Clock = 1
Wipers 3 sp/var = 5
Horns = 1
I/P MTD Hood Release = 2
Under Coat = 5
Instr Panel = 7
Glove Box Light = 1
Ash Tray Light = 5
Cargo / Trunk Light = 5
Fnd/Hood Turn Ind = 1
Conc HD/LP = 7

MOLDINGS-EXTERIOR TRIM:
Drip Trough = 1
Wheel Lip = 6
FT. Bumper Periphery = 8
Belt = 1
Deck Lid Finish Panel = 6
Sun Roof = 1
Ing. Switch Time delay = 5
H/Lamp DN Signal = 2

ENGINE ACCESSORIES:
Elec Ing System = 3
Dual Exhaust = 1
Exhaust Tips = 2
Cooling Less ?? = 51
Emis. Control = 5
Cali Lab = 8

POWER ITEMS:
Windows = 1

RADIO - ANT - SPKERS:
Radio = 36
Speaker = 1

SUSPENSION - STEERING:
Susp = 3
Shocks = 5
Rear Sway Bar = 1
Front Sway Bar = ?? Can't read it
Power Steering = 1?? Can't read it

WH/COVER:
Road Wheels = 2
Very cool that you have a broadcast sheet for this car! There is a lot more info here than what is on the fender tag. The first couple of rows are some of the main appearance info for the car along with the VIN - paint colors, etc. Lines 3-6 are specific parts that are supposed to be installed on the car - the digits are the last 2 or 3 numbers in the part number of that item. Example - Fan 16 - the part number for the fan mounted to the engine ends in 16. Steering wheel 12X9 - part number ends in 12, and X9 means that the color of the steering wheel is Black. Then lines 7 onward are all the option codes for the options installed on the car. That should get you through most of the sheet - there are a few boxes on these sheets that I am still sorting out. If you have any questions - just let me know. Have fun!

Very cool that you have a broadcast sheet for this car! There is a lot more info here than what is on the fender tag. The first couple of rows are some of the main appearance info for the car along with the VIN - paint colors, etc. Lines 3-6 are specific parts that are supposed to be installed on the car - the digits are the last 2 or 3 numbers in the part number of that item. Example - Fan 16 - the part number for the fan mounted to the engine ends in 16. Steering wheel 12X9 - part number ends in 12, and X9 means that the color of the steering wheel is Black. Then lines 7 onward are all the option codes for the options installed on the car. That should get you through most of the sheet - there are a few boxes on these sheets that I am still sorting out. If you have any questions - just let me know. Have fun!
Yeah, I'm pretty lost on a lot of it. Thankfully some of it is self explained, but one thing that is confusing is the section that has STRIPE as the header, 1st = V1X and 2nd = V7W? The car has no stripes?

Yeah, I'm pretty lost on a lot of it. Thankfully some of it is self explained, but one thing that is confusing is the section that has STRIPE as the header, 1st = V1X and 2nd = V7W? The car has no stripes?
I see V5X in the Stripe box - which is actually the chrome and black protective side moulding, and not an actual stripe. The V7W is for a painted white pin stripe that runs along the body lines on the side of the car somewhere - I am looking for a pic on the web, but not finding anything yet.

I see V5X in the Stripe box - which is actually the chrome and black protective side moulding, and not an actual stripe. The V7W is for a painted white pin stripe that runs along the body lines on the side of the car somewhere - I am looking for a pic on the web, but not finding anything yet.
Yes, I see that now. The car currently has neither the side molding or Pin Stripe.

I thought we might go on a little tangent today and talk 6 pack. As you know if you have been following along, the 72 came with a 6 pack setup on it. We also know there were only about 3 72's that somehow snuck out of the factree with 6 packs and they have a V in the VIN. Anyway, I've sourced an original manifold and Carb for the car, but I thought I should at least try and understand what I have as far as the 6 Pack setup. I've read on the forum information on date codes etc. So, lets first talk about the manifold. The #'s I see are first a sideways 6, then 2946276. If I understand what I've read this tells me it is a later version that has less of an issue with being porous?

Now lets talk carbs

Back Carb first: I see #'s H14 on one side, then 2489 and under that it is List-4672
Front Carb next: I see #'s H-14 on one side, then 3389 (I think) and under that it is List - 4672
From the little bit I've read the first three #'s are days and the last # is year? So they would be 72 carbs?
Middle Carb: List-4670 and date code of 0480

Last edited:
I thought we might go on a little tangent today and talk 6 pack. As you know if you have been following along, the 72 came with a 6 pack setup on it. We also know there were only about 3 72's that somehow snuck out of the factree with 6 packs and they have a V in the VIN. Anyway, I've sourced an original manifold and Carb for the car, but I thought I should at least try and understand what I have as far as the 6 Pack setup. I've read on the forum information on date codes etc. So, lets first talk about the manifold. The #'s I see are first a sideways 6, then 2946276. If I understand what I've read this tells me it is a later version that has less of an issue with being porous?

Now lets talk carbs

Back Carb first: I see #'s H14 on one side, then 2489 and under that it is List-4672
Front Carb next: I see #'s H-14 on one side, then 3389 (I think) and under that it is List - 4672
From the little bit I've read the first three #'s are days and the last # is year? So they would be 72 carbs?

Now the interesting one, the middle Carb

So I do see the H-13 at the same location as the front and back carbs, but I see nothing on the other side of the Carb. I see a few #'s on the top of the carb:

1605, then I can only make out L46-- and then 6020, strange? Is there somewhere else I should be looking for the middle carb date code?
Adding pics

Now lets talk carbs

So I do see the H-13 at the same location as the front and back carbs, but I see nothing on the other side of the Carb. I see a few #'s on the top of the carb:

1605, then I can only make out L46-- and then 6020, strange? Is there somewhere else I should be looking for the middle carb date code?

20240106_114449.jpg

20240106_114457.jpg

20240106_114544.jpg

20240106_115647.jpg

20240106_115658.jpg

20240106_115706.jpg

20240106_115714.jpg

Orange, dual snorkle air cleaner with rectangular snorkles. Time will loosen it up, keep trying it.
I appreciate this info! I think I read somewhere that 72's have a curved line up next to the pan vs a straight linenit sure though.

Now lets talk carbs

Well then, found a chart that shows 4672 = rear carb, so I guess the setup I have has two rear carbs on it..........no front. I'm still trying to figure out the middle Carb #'s

Auto Transport Service
Back