• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 plymouth wiring harness detail help

matt72

Local time
3:33 PM
Reaction score
Kind of an odd question but what color tape would be more correct for the engine bay and headlight wire harness? I have seen concourse cars at Chrysler nationals done with black tape but I have tan tape on my harness and have seen NOS ones with tan tape. My problem is I cannot find tan tape to use when I go through my harness so what would be more correct, wait to find tan tape or use black? thanks for looking at my kind of stupid question lol.

Kind of an odd question but what color tape would be more correct for the engine bay and headlight wire harness? I have seen concourse cars at Chrysler nationals done with black tape but I have tan tape on my harness and have seen NOS ones with tan tape. My problem is I cannot find tan tape to use when I go through my harness so what would be more correct, wait to find tan tape or use black? thanks for looking at my kind of stupid question lol.
It is black for the underhood harnesses it is lighter, thinner, than regular electrical tape.

It is black for the underhood harnesses it is lighter, thinner, than regular electrical tape.
ok thank you I have been pondering this question for a while now.

California car by chance? My May ’72 built, California, RR/GTX originally came with engine, forward lighting and supplemental under-hood harnesses relating to added emissions equipment, all wrapped in tan harness wrap.
A previous discussion on the subject from a while back,
Need a little help with where this wire goes

Last edited:
California car by chance? My May ’72 built, California, RR/GTX originally came with engine, forward lighting and supplemental under-hood harnesses relating to added emissions equipment, all wrapped in tan harness wrap.
A previous discussion on the subject from a while back,
Need a little help with where this wire goes
yes indeed its a California car built in july of 72. thats good to know because I want to keep the factory look I just cant find the correct wrap to replace my old brittle stuff thats on the harness now.

Try calling Tommy White at Parts Hound. He refurbishes harnesses and should know if that tape/wrap is available.

Auto Transport Service
Back