• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 roadrunner GTX oddity.

Where did they usually hide the buid sheet in these vehicles ? I know that most of my old Chevys had them under the back seats excepts for a 1980 Z28 that had it in the driver's seat back under the cover.

The most common places to find build sheets are:

In the seat springs of the rear seat back cushion
In the seat springs of the rear seat bottom cushion
In the seat springs of the front bucket seat backs, behind the plastic or metal seat back cover
In the seat springs of the front seat bottom cushion
Under the carpet, commonly on the driver's side in front of the front seat, but I've found them on the passenger side (common with Hamtramck cars) and under the rear compartment carpet (commonly on the driver's side with St. Louis cars and later M-body and F-body cars, though I've seen them on the passenger's side as well)
Taped to the top or the back of the glove box liner
Taped to the heater core under the dash

The most uncommon places to find them are:

Stuffed in the headliner above the driver's seat (found in a St. Louis car)
In between the gas tank and the rubber gas tank mat (Los Angeles car)

Source: http://maxwedge.com/articles/broadcast.php

Still workin on this old bird. Here's an old pic a friend had. 198212_10150435072735434_876070433_17946524_4898280_n.jpg

72RRGTX cool ride!
I read through this post as I previously owned a '72 RR and I felt it was a hell of head turner. Bought it used as a one owner vehicle in '76. It was black with the white quarter panel strobes. 440-4 bbl, air grabber, hood pins, auto, slapstick, 8.75" lsd. White interior, with hi back buckets, and counsel. Ralleys, and rubber bumper guards front and rear. Sure looked great when clean!
This car did not have any GTX badging on it at all inside or out. If you have '72 with it good for you! :hello2:
The 440 did have the big beam rods in it. I picked up a '70 six pack intake and carb set in '78 and threw it on for a while. (It's on my Barracuda now.) I have found only two pictures this car when the tri-power went on, then too, back then I really didn't care about photography (or fender tags for that matter, lol, build sheet? Ha, we didn't need no stinking build sheet). If I knew then what I know now!
An idiot shortened the trunk up to the axle as it was parked in front of the house one night. Still have the air cleaner and quarter emblems off it.
sixpack2.gif
sixpack1.jpg
72RR440AirGrab3.jpg
72RREmbs1.gif

There were only 286 roadrunner with the GTX option produced in 1972. the car would have come with a 440ci,an air grabber hood, automatic transmission wt slap stick or pistol grip 4spd, never seen a real one wt a vinyl top.GTX badge would have been on r/s of dash prior to the road runner badge wt bird. bucket seats only and never seen one wt a/c option. I happen to own one and what I have found out through many different channels of research, I have surmised that if you have all original parts and #s matching they start out at a value of bottom end 45,000$ and up to abt. 110ish at the very top... take a picture of the fender tag and I can decode it for u. MARC

There is more actuate information provided in the earlier posts to this old thread in regards to production numbers for the ’72 Road Runner GTX model. 672 is the accepted total number for the 440 engine option that year (inaccurately referred to by some as the unofficial name “GTX option”). N96 was not mandatory and A/C was an available option, but not with both. No GTX badging on the dash.

Really sad to hear that someone bought it out from under you the day after the funeral. I hope it was at least a close friend that the prior owner knew well, and not just someone who wanted to make a few bucks off of it. Obviously you knew the car and have something in your gut for it. Since he apparently has it sitting in a corner somewhere its sounds like another reminder to me that life sure isnt fair.

I also have a 72 RR GTX. 440-4, 4 speed. Lemon twist. Originally sold in grand falls, Newfoundland. Built in the Windsor, Ont plant. Power windows, power front disk brakes, rear window defogger,

Auto Transport Service
Back