• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 roadrunner GTX oddity.

What is V code?
This is a 72' v-code;
WH23V2G100006g.jpg

Last edited:
I don't remember the OP ever suggesting the car in question has a six pack, why is 1/2 this thread about six packs?

I don't remember the OP ever suggesting the car in question has a six pack, why is 1/2 this thread about six packs?
Someone made the comment about thinking there were 2 6 pack cars and it went from there. There are some people that don't know they existed. Sorry if we went off topic. I will stop if it bothers you.

I noticed that as well, what do think Larry, left over 71’ parts? The 72’ HP manifold casting changes to accommodate the 72’ and up pre-heat stove redesign wouldn’t be in play on the six barrel. Parts cat is not listing a different number from the u-code manifold in that six-barrel application

I noticed that as well, what do think Larry, left over 71’ parts? The 72’ HP manifold casting changes to accommodate the 72’ and up pre-heat stove redesign wouldn’t be in play on the six barrel. Parts cat is not listing a different number from the u-code manifold in that six-barrel application
I will have to look at the one I have on the car and check the date.

What is V code?

Most of the follow-up posts relating to v-code RR/GTXs in this thread are direct responses to a question posted in this thread by the original author of this thread, that’s why. I'm done.

Someone made the comment about thinking there were 2 6 pack cars and it went from there. There are some people that don't know they existed. Sorry if we went off topic. I will stop if it bothers you.

I think I asked if it was because it said it had a ramcharger hood. I just knew that one of the 72 Road Runners/GTX was a six pack car with a Ramcharger hood. I was just wondering if it was another one built.

Back on topic, can't wait to see the fender tag on this car.

Not trying to be rude...but it's interesting enough to see if it's a factory fresh air car in 72, which the OP has suggested.

Not trying to be rude...but it's interesting enough to see if it's a factory fresh air car in 72, which the OP has suggested.

It would be indeed very intersted because that in it self would be very very rare for 72. I do have a question and I think the answer to it is yes, but could you get the Air grabber hood on a U code car in 71? I think you could but I'm not a hundred percent sure.

Also the code is N96 correct? <---This is just for me to clear up my mind with the code.

Did the OP say weather or not it was a Dana 60 car? How rare would that be in 72? That is also an option I have no clue as to weather it was even offered after 71.

It would be indeed very intersted because that in it self would be very very rare for 72. I do have a question and I think the answer to it is yes, but could you get the Air grabber hood on a U code car in 71? I think you could but I'm not a hundred percent sure.

Also the code is N96 correct? <---This is just for me to clear up my mind with the code.

Did the OP say weather or not it was a Dana 60 car? How rare would that be in 72? That is also an option I have no clue as to weather it was even offered after 71.

They were available, N96 is correct. I have seen multiple cars with them including mine. You could only get a Dana in 72 with a 440 4 speed,and only in a 3.54 gear ratio.

Larry

They were available, N96 is correct. I have seen multiple cars with them including mine. You could only get a Dana in 72 with a 440 4 speed,and only in a 3.54 gear ratio.

Larry

Thanks Larry, good info. I wasn't sure when the cut off point was for the Dana 60. Now to only see the tag on this car and wouldnt it be interesting if it was coded for a Dana.

I have a '71 U-code R/T that's got N96 on the build sheet and a hood with a pop up door in the center to go with it.
I ran into a guy at a car show here in the Detroit that claimed to have a '72 V-code Chargerand says it was one of 6 or 7 known to be built in '72. His dad bought it new and I later confirmed it to be fact by talking about it with some others.
I also have a close friend with a '72 Rallye Charger 440 4spd Dana 60 car.
Would love to see the op's car in question, sounds very kool.

Wouldn't mind the engine in one of my cars.

I'm curious why you guys think the air grabber is so rare on a 72? It was an option on all 72 road runners including 440+4 and 440+6. The only runner it was not available on was the 440 4bbl destined for California sale.
Of the 140 completely documented (fender tag and/or broadcast sheet not just VIN number) 72 runners I have in my database, 41 of them were optioned N96....about 30%. That's not at all rare, even on a 440 car.....
IF that 30% is representative of the acutal option number on all 72s, it's actually more common than on 71s (71 rr - 11.2%, 71 GTX - 15.8%)

- - - Updated - - -

Cool. This one is a single four barrell. As I said in a previous post the car IS all original. I know that people say that all the time but I have literally known the car my whole life. It was purchased around the same time that I was born. The car sat in a garage that was about 500' from my front door. If the rear window louver and decklid spoiler weren't a factory option the had to have been dealer installed because they were always on the car. I'm eager to get the vin tag info so that we can figure out how rare this old bird is.

Hopefully the dealer paperwork is still with the car supporting the idea that the louvers and wing were dealer installed, otherwise there's no way to substantiate when they were added. Definitely not factory on a 72.

Last edited:
Rare or not that air grabber on my '72 is super cool and I have been around a long time and haven't noticed a bunch of them.

You can check out my fender tag in my photo gallery '72 RR/GTX. May not be a rare car, but it sure is hard to locate parts for it.

Hey that is a great bunch of information although I didn't see any facts for the '72's. Could be I was in a hurry and just over looked it. I will look again later today. Thanks for the input.

Hey that is a great bunch of information although I didn't see any facts for the '72's. Could be I was in a hurry and just over looked it. I will look again later today. Thanks for the input.

Nope. unfortunately we only have information up for the 71 model year.

Just an update. I spoke with the owner this morning and he is going to send me the info from the tags and a copy of the original window sticker. The car is in the back of his shop surrounded by crap so he said he couldn't get me pics for the time being. I'll get pictures if I have to clean his shop myself. I asked if he had gotten the original paperwork from when the car was purchased in 72 but he didn't. I bet the original owners mother still has it if she can remember where it is. the old girl is in her 80's now. Where did they usually hide the buid sheet in these vehicles ? I know that most of my old Chevys had them under the back seats excepts for a 1980 Z28 that had it in the driver's seat back under the cover.

Auto Transport Service
Back