• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Dodge Charger S/E Project Car

ToastyJay

Local time
6:11 PM
Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread up so I can keep myself motivated with your guys help. Just wanted to point out a couple of things. 1) I'm a almost broke college student so I won't be able to build everything perfect. Prepare yourself for some Jerry Rigging. 2) Try not to get upset with me since I am not building this car to factory original, because I am a young guy and so I like modern toys. Don't get me wrong classics are awesome just not my thing.

I'll start out with some simple pictures since I just got the car and I will post more as I go. I would love to hear your guys comments and ill try to answer questions if possible. Thanks and I hope you enjoy my process.

This is my car on the way home from the man I bought it from. I have a lot of the body parts that you don't see they are just off at the moment because the man I bought it from was working on it before me. He just didn't have the time. Poor guy :(
View attachment 172536

Main Parts I Don't Have
-Engine
-Automatic Transmission(might have one coming in)
-fuel tank
-entire exhaust
-radiator
-Center console(please recommend one/place to buy)
-Floor pans are the only piece of exterior frame I will have to replace. Some rusts spots will need to be repaired but I don't have to replace whole parts.
-a lot of small interior pieces like rugging, dashboard cover, etc.

Those are all the main things that I can think of at the moment. I will be taking out any leftover trim, the cloth roofing, and anything else that goes on the inside that isn't already out today, so I will post pics later hopefully. I am gonna get it ready so I can remove the old rusted floor pans/put in new ones. When that's done I wont be putting any pieces on the inside till I get the car sanded down and paint it. That way I can get everything painted without having to tape a lot of pieces off. Thanks guys and remember I would love to hear your comments, concerns, and questions.

Welcome to the site.. And Great project car.. I'm pretty sure that was a fellow FBBO member car that you have there...

Good luck with your build! Welcome from Maine.
Do your car car the way you want to. It is yours. Have fun with it along the way. Take your time if you can, lol. Save the little coins you can for good quality parts! You'll be much happier in the end. Back in my college days, my 73 left me stranded on my way to pickup a girl for a night out thanks to a cheap aftermarket fuel pump. I wasn't happy, it went from a night to remember to a night to forget, and obviously I haven't. :rolling:

Looks like someone was building a Marty Robbins tribute.

My 70 Super Bee could tell if I had a female passenger...and...if the relationship was platonic or not :)

keep us posted on your progress and keep the pics coming! cheers!

Well, radiator would depend on engine and tranny.
Consoles you can find all day at Mopar swap meets. Particularly Carlisle this summer.
I see Williamsport ... PA? Then you're not far.
Recycle yards will be your friend.
One other thing, if it is the car in the picture, that is not an SE. An SE vin will start with WP29.
Good luck!

Well, radiator would depend on engine and tranny.
Consoles you can find all day at Mopar swap meets. Particularly Carlisle this summer.
I see Williamsport ... PA? Then you're not far.
Recycle yards will be your friend.
One other thing, if it is the car in the picture, that is not an SE. An SE vin will start with WP29.
Good luck!

I want to thank you bud because the previous owner had told me it was a SE when he searched the Vin. :) it was actually a standard V8. Which I am completely fine with it is just good to know. Thanks again bud.

Glad to help Jay.
Post the fender tag and I can tell you what is came with.
Cover the last 6 digits if you feel unconfortable with just posting it.

Glad to help Jay.
Post the fender tag and I can tell you what is came with.
Cover the last 6 digits if you feel unconfortable with just posting it.

Sadly the fender tag is uh MIA. Looks like a guy a couple owners before me got rid of it for some reason. All I have is the VIN number but ive already looked up all that that tells me. Thanks though.

Are you gonna keep it purple?

It won't be the shade of purple that is on the car now but it will be purple most likely in the end. I'm thinking Plum crazy.

It looks like a great project! Take your time and enjoy it, The Chargers are a great car with a sleek stance and interior to match it.. enjoy the build it can be as rewarding as the first cruise in it! Good luck.. :)

Nice ride, Good luck with your project.

Welcome. looking forward to see what you will do with this. That car has a lot of potential.

Sorry about how long it took me to get some update pictures up, but the weather has been a little to chilly for this young blood. Had a couple of nice days though so i began to just take parts off the car. Once i take all the parts off that i want then i will get to work on rust spots. Once they are all fixed I'm going to base paint the whole car so everything matches.

Old Floor Pans.jpg
As you can see the floor pans are in bad condition and will have to be replaced. I have the back floor pans but i still need to buy the front ones. If you guys could advise me on which ones to get it would be greatly appreciated. I need to know if i should get the whole front floor pan or just each side individually also.

Trunk Lid.jpg
Just a picture of the trunk lid which i will have to take off when i paint.

Old Trunk Floor.jpg
The trunk itself is in good shape except for that little whole which i can just patch up.

Hood.jpg
A picture of the hood which just needs to be painted at this point.

Redone mirror backside.jpgredone mirror frontside.jpg
The first part i actually got all finished on my own :) just the mirror but its the first thing done none the less.

Parts 3.jpgParts 2.jpgParts 1.jpg
Just the parts that have been taken off the car so far. Either by me or the previous owner.

My Mustang and Charger.jpg
And last but not least where my baby rests and shall stay for a little while at least. And of course my mustang which shows that my love does not belong to just one car company.....even though dodges are my favorite lol

Progress is always good. As far as advising on the floor pans. Is there a hole in the right side as well? If only the left side is bad, then just use 1 half. Using the 2 halves can make it seem easy, but you have to line up everything front, sides, and rear, also with the center hump. For what it's worth, I put in my floor using the 2 halves. If I was to put another one in, I am planning to use a 1 piece floor. Talk to Jeff at 521 restorations, he can steer you in the right direction with your parts that you will need.

Great find and progress!

If you were closer to Knoxville, TN I'd offer to sell you my extra 727 and torque converter. Then again, scanning Craigslist, you can get them pretty often for less than I paid for mine.

Hey man got a new project haha!! wish I had that trunk lid right now.... This car I'm in for $250.00 went half with my Dad he had to "save" this car its a long time in the making (you know the feeling)...... But good thing full interior bad new damaged K-member damaged front frame rail and both rear quarters are a loss....

Auto Transport Service
Back