• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well here goes nothing, 73 SE Project.

Cosmoe73SE

Local time
1:45 AM
Reaction score
How you guys doing? I've been acquiring parts and pieces to do the headset throughout the week. So today I get to dig in! Just waiting for it to warm up a bit more before I head out there. After I get it running right, I plan to tackle the brakes, because lets be honest....there aren't any. After I'm sure it will stop, well go down the road and test her out.

73Left.jpg

73Front.jpg

Welcome aboard Sir. To finish a project you have to start somewhere! Hope all goes well.

Brakes are over rated. Just use the vehicle/tree/ditch/rock ahead of you to stop. HA!

How you guys doing? I've been acquiring parts and pieces to do the headset throughout the week. So today I get to dig in! Just waiting for it to warm up a bit more before I head out there. After I get it running right, I plan to tackle the brakes, because lets be honest....there aren't any. After I'm sure it will stop, well go down the road and test her out.

View attachment 1563983

View attachment 1563984
Welcome to the sandbox and a ton of great and knowledgeable people here ✌️

Well heads off...found a swimming pool in the cylinders. Looks like the wrong head gaskets were installed about 12 years ago. I got the right ones this round.

IMG_20231126_112010150_HDR.jpg

Well heads off...found a swimming pool in the cylinders. Looks like the wrong head gaskets were installed about 12 years ago. I got the right ones this round.

View attachment 1564261

That happens when you remove the heads with some coolant still in them.

Good luck on getting her up and running!

It looks like they had that car running on Mountain Dew! I bet she was hyper in her day!

Well I pulled the heads apart and found 1 valve stem seal that was intact. No wonder she was blowing smoke like a freight train. Unfortunately all that smoke landed in the exhaust system. So I installed new valve stem seals and all new gaskets. I am lucky enough to take another stab at the intake manifold gaskets...since it's leaking at the front and rear. I'll do that tomorrow. All in all, she woke from her slumber...uncapped headers of coarse. I used to love that...part of me still does but even just that SB360 sounds impressive. It was fun for about 15 minutes. Blew a little smoke out of the right side header due to caked on oil. Bolted the exhaust back up to it, and the freight train rolled back into town. So i have quite a bit of oil downstream too.

Any tips on cleaning that out or is it a lost cause?

She woke from her slumber...nice! With open headers, I bet the neighbors did too!

View attachment 1563983

View attachment 1563984
The little guy is going to love helping Dad! Welcome and enjoy!

Auto Transport Service
Back