• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Road Runner resto

Ohhha .... i wish, i have the black bumper horns.
i``m also just have the Chrome one.
Nice, nice , ride!!!

The "what did you pay" thread got me thinking. What is your car going to be worth when you are done? I'm not trying to pry and not asking for the actual number. Instead, I am curious because (in my limited experience) I don't believe I've ever seen anyone do such a thorough and high quality job as you and idrivemopar are doing on a 73/74 RR.

Right now the official estimated value of these 73/74 RRs is quite low compared to some earlier models. I know you said you are going to keep yours, but hypothetically if you were selling it, I wonder what it might bring? And when you get done you are going to need to get it insured, and there is going to have to be an agreed value. What will that be? I think your cars could potentially "raise the bar" on the market and insured value of these cars.

Good job and keep up the good work ha ha ha!!!!!

Not to steal the thunder here, but I am glad I am not the only one going to town on a 73 Roadrunner. You are correct, and a fully restored 73 will not be worth what was put into it, but what car is, and with the overall muscle car market still down, and recent Mecham auctions, I saw some amazing cars go for silly prices. Highest price I have seen on a 73 is around 20K and that's pushing it. I am not restoring to sell either, but I would lose my *** if I did. Its a labor of love for me since I have had the car for 30 years. I just want her to be cherry as possible!!!! Now when it come to insurance, I expect to carry at least 40K insurance, and most classic car insurance companies allow you to do 30K without an appraisal, but if you want more you have to get a professional appraisal done. I personally am glad to see others taking these cars to the next level, who knows, as KB73rr says, it may help lift the price point higher if there are more properly restored ones around to bring more attention to this era of cars!!!!

Keep up the good work!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pair of front bumper guards for a 73/74 on ebay... NOS!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-1...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3384a804dd&vxp=mtr

Interesting that Chet has those, same guy I got my NOS shock plates from.

Not to steal the thunder here, but I am glad I am not the only one going to town on a 73 Roadrunner. You are correct, and a fully restored 73 will not be worth what was put into it, but what car is, and with the overall muscle car market still down, and recent Mecham auctions, I saw some amazing cars go for silly prices. Highest price I have seen on a 73 is around 20K and that's pushing it. I am not restoring to sell either, but I would lose my *** if I did. Its a labor of love for me since I have had the car for 30 years. I just want her to be cherry as possible!!!! Now when it come to insurance, I expect to carry at least 40K insurance, and most classic car insurance companies allow you to do 30K without an appraisal, but if you want more you have to get a professional appraisal done. I personally am glad to see others taking these cars to the next level, who knows, as KB73rr says, it may help lift the price point higher if there are more properly restored ones around to bring more attention to this era of cars!!!!

Keep up the good work!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting that Chet has those, same guy I got my NOS shock plates from.

Niether of you are prying at all and im glad to share my thoughts on the subject.

I will insure mine for the $30k value that mekum and hagerty will easily allow. I know I will have at least that much in it after finishing and sorting the car out..... If I were to do it for money I would have done a Cuda. 1970 or 71. I had a lemon twist 70 AAR that got away from me that is still calling me. all the parts are very readily available. Especially these days.

Interestingly, I was at Barrett Jackson in 2008 or 2009 when a plain Jane light green '73 with a 318 and light tan bench seats went across the blocks and sold for $19,000. It was a survivor but a little rough. I figure that they will break $20k in the near future the way mine is optioned out...maybe...

This car is being built as a driver so although I'm trying to be stock in the build, it has a more than stock cam in it and the suspension is a bit upgraded with poly isolators, bushings etc.... Also the radio is going to be an upgraded unit with true four channel stereo and hidden small amp. Radio will also hook up with my iPod trough a lead I'm putting in the ashtray. You already know about the non stock power seat and remote passenger side mirror and the trunk release... All mopar... But definitely not original.

As for selling it: I wouldn't take a dime less than $35 for it. Assuming I had a willing buyer at that price, I would probably let it go.

It bums me out that nice examples of these 73/74 cars usually always seem to go for less than $20K. But then every so often you hear about one like that purple Satarunner the guy from Counts Kustoms sold for $35K. I guess it's just a matter of finding the right buyer.

I am right now having an experience with insurance value. This past weekend I was at the Woodward Dream Cruise. I was parked back off the road a ways and wasn't actually showing my car at all. It looked OK but wasn't detailed and the hood wasn't even open. Some guy came up asking who owned it, then a zillion questions, then looked at everything, then the story of the 73 GTX he owned when he was a kid, blah, blah, blah and then he offered an attention getting amount - $1K cash downpayment within an hour and the rest in cash on Monday. I told him the car wasn't for sale, so he started going up in $1k increments. He actually got up to probably about what I have into the car in total out-of-pocket expenses. He wasn't drunk or weird or anything and seemed to know what he was talking about. I believe he really wanted the car and could afford it - a.k.a the right buyer.

That all got me thinking. My own insurance agreed value was established about 8 years ago and I've done a lot since then so now the agreed value is considerably less than I have in the car. It is also considerably less than what the guy at the Dream Cruise went up to. So I called my insurance company (one of the mentioned ones) to ask about raising the agreed value to at least what I have in it. They gave me to an underwriter and I told him about the offer and my significant upgrades since the agreed value was agreed. The underwriter made me send pics and/or receipts before they would do it - and I wasn't even asking for $30K. Maybe he suspects my car is actually a POS in disguise ha ha ha. I just got all that stuff emailed to them yesterday. I haven't heard anything back yet.

It's a good thing you guys are documenting your own projects so well in your threads. If the underwriter asks for documentation you've already got it - in great detail. Just send him a link.

Well boys (and girls if your out there).... Finally some pictures of progress. In between moving out for termites and the girls starting school, its been a little hectic. But I did manage some progress.

You all saw the headliner in..... Looks great. Had debated between the white and the off white sample but it turned out that the off white was perfect and actually read more white than the white when I held it uo to the roof in the shade. The white had a darker backing that wooed through and made it look grey brown....

Ivan changed out the drivers side window motor ( luckily had a new spare that really came in handy... All those weekend at the u-pick junkyards are now paying off. If they have the balls to charge me 1 or 2 bucks to just look I can fill my pockets with screws and clips.....

Now for the picture... Still have a million little details but it came together ( or should I say "it's coming together") nicely.

image.jpg
Here's the drivers side view... Thanks again to my friends at All In Leather for their outstanding job on the upper door panels and seats.

image.jpg
View of the back seat. I wonder how long I can keep them white......

image.jpg

next Saturday....

Final glue in of window seals
repair the passenger side wiper... Came loose.
set the upper seat belts
stripes,
name plates,
sanding and buffing...
And so on , and so on..... Certainly more than one days worth..

thanks a again for the nice words of encouragement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 329
Update for tonight....

Moved back in to the house after work and then went to the shop.

Got a little done on my Saturday list by glueing in the window seals. The go straight and quietly into position without binding or biting into the seals. They had been biting into the seals but I suspected that they needed the upper door panels in for final alignment. I had used the old ones when I set the windows way back when.... Now, with the new upper door panels in, the windows seal up tight and go up and down very smoothly. Hurray........... Finally!!!!

Also drove the car and began to tune in the engine a little.

Timing was set at 8 degrees of advance (stock spec for a '73 340 with air) but the engine pinged under moderate load. Then, after full warm up, it would ping on even light load.

The cam is a little bit more aggressive than stock....about the same as a mild Purple shaft spec so it might be the cam. Will try to retard it to 6 degrees to see if it helps.

Thermoquad is set to spec for stock so it might be a little lean as well.

I'll start with the timing first. If it gets better with a little less advance then I'll start with the mix to get at the ping.

the TRANS was a little low on fluid.... About a two pints. Added the fluid and car ran out better. But still shifts a little short. Shifts are firm and positive so tranny appears ok after all these years of sitting except for shop moves. Will need to set the kick-down a little further back to see if it helps.

I pulled the number one plug and soot was very light brown so it might be a little lean as suspected.

But I'll start with the timing first.

One thing I learned a long time ago, change only one thing then test. Otherwise you'll never figure it out......

Any suggestions????

Adjusted timing to 6 degrees advance this evening..... Pings only slightly at throttle opening.

Next stop.... Check the secondary throttle plate is not opening too soon. then begin the mystery of the main jets.

This I the only part I hate about thermoquads... Adjusting the jets....

but first some really good gas to se if its the gas. Running 9.1 compression.... No big deal but its all related.

Last edited:
In today for alignment.

image.jpg

Its in.....

image.jpg

......And up

I had to wait after I got the tires til now because my friends a Sabal Chase had just pulled their rack to install the latest Hawkeye rack you see here. I'm one of the first on it....

And here it is from the front on the rack.

image.jpg

Your car is looking very good. Are you planning on putting the stripes on? If so, what color?

Yes.... It definitely needs the stripes.

I bought white ones ( to match the interior) but no hood bulge stripe. Just the numbers for the hood in white.

Worked today on a new radio I bought from Antique Automobile Radio here in Florida at a show on an impulse...

Here it is installed...

image.jpg

No power and a lot of distortion if I turn it up... Think it needs an amp... Am calling them now...... More later.

Last edited:
beautiful car! miss my '73.
there was one the same color as yours with a red stripe in a local boneyard years ago.

Radio just needed a better ground. Sounds fantastic! Those guys put together a mean radio!!!!

By the way... Thanks for all the positive feedback.

I really need it now....

Went to Walgreens to pick a prescription for one of the girls.

Took advantage of the need to drive and went the long way...just to listen to my new radio...car really hates to idle in drive starts to drop rpm until it either dies when it gets below 450 or I give it a bit of gas.

Got the script. It was waiting for me so I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.

Starter solenoid is jammed.... F#ck!!!! This comes after a day of sorting and debugging the car.....

Thought it might be the relay but I jumped it with my pocket knife and no go. I here the starter solenoid click but no engagement of the starter...I'm going to wait an hour and see if it starts after cooling down a bit..

definitely getting a new starter tomorrow... Regardless.

Well it started.... Battery looks like its bad..... Would explain a lot of the electrical issues and the inability to idle.... More tomorrow

Battery was bad.. Car runs good and charges full...

and now for something pretty cool... Got these walnut grips on fleEbay. Then adapted them to the automatic shifter yesterday.

image.jpg

More fun with dremmel tonight.

Drove down to Homestead in the Roadrunner.... New problem. Makes metallic rattling sound under slight power. I guess the knocking under load i took care of yesterday masked the beginning of the noise.

It only makes the noise (which sounds like a bad lifter or bent pushrod) under slight load regardless of speed. If I hold the brake while giving it a little gas...no more knock and no noise. If I release the brake just a little and the car moves it makes the rattle....

I'm thinking its the transmission... Possibly blew a clutch plate or bearing... I wonder how??????

I'll know more tomorrow.

If you've been following this thread over the last few days, you can understand when I say that I'm bushed!

Went over to me friend Ivan's shop this afternoon, he was in finishing up some little things and getting ready for tomorrow's work so he appreciated the company.....and I appreciated his lift. (note to self : next house I'm putting in a lift). So I drove it over and it still had the damned noise.

Also, I had just put in a new battery and the ammeter shows very positive at anything over 1200 rpm.... Odd......checked the draw with engine off to see if there was a short or hidden draw... Only the switch for the electric seat, which I then disconnected, then... Zero amp draw... Ok that problem checked, but started the car and there it was again... Odd....

Now for the noise.

Put it on the lift and ...... Nothing! ... No noise. Loaded the tranny with the brakes on and released it slowly to get the wheels turning... So we broth it down and there it was again... Under any sort of load and only while moving.......

We put it back on the lift and checked again... And again no noise.

So,.... Only under load when the car is moving.... Acceleration... Funny short... Noise sounds like its in the tranny area on the drivers side....

Then. it hit us both at the same time.... In fact we both said it at the same time...

STARTER!... Had to be.....but it was too late to have one delivered and we were both exhausted... I'm betting now its the solenoid for the starter shorting out and dragging the starter gear on the converter gear. That's got to be it.... Will also get the starter relay just to be certain...

Changed out the shift linkage bushings.... While I was there. So it wasn't a total loss of effort.

This afternoon, after some rest, I'm going to install the seatbelt hangers into my headliner for today. Then... that's it for today.

image.jpg
Post script....

Finished mounting the seat belts into the headliner ( its now dark so picture tomorrow) and got the instrument light for the a/c controls working. Also found a working timer for the ignition light that actually shuts off after 20 seconds. Good thing I had a bunch from the u-pick!

Goals for today complete..... And a little more.

More tomorrow. The noise saga continues......

Last edited:
It was the starter... The gear return spring failed... Never had that happen to me before.

image.jpg

Here's the guilty gear.. All you had to do was tilt it slightly and the gear would slide down the shaft....

here it is in comparison to the new one.... Well actually, they were both "new".

image.jpg

As long as I had the car up on the lift and waiting to be cool enough to pull the starter.

I got a chance to remove some of the overspray from the exhaust tips.

image.jpg

And polish them a little......

The best part is .... The noise, and the ping are gone as is the intermittent short that drove the new radio crazy.

Next stop..... Final wet sanding, polishing and stripes. Tonight, I work on the "road runner" script for the trunk lid.

Auto Transport Service
Back