• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Roadrunner/Satellite Front/Back Glass Install Question

oxytousc

Local time
7:31 PM
Reaction score
Anyone know what gasket or tape is needed for the front and back windshield installation on a 73 Roadrunner? I'm trying to gather everything to finish my car and can't find any listed standard.

I "believe" it is butyl tape that was used back in the day. Today they use urethane glue/caulking. If you have a glass guy do it they will want to use urethane. Generally I use butyl tape on my class cars but many times I come back in with urethane around the glass to help seal the channel. Google butyl tape and windshield install and I am sure you find some videos.

Used urethane on my 71 without any problems. 73 should be the same.

They stopped using butyl because it leaks and in accidents, many times, the glass would come loose and fly out... Leaving a hole that people could most easily be ejected from. Or even worse, the glass would come loose and come inside the car.

Use urethane. It'll seal better, leak less, and you can rest assured you and your friends/family will not be brutalized by your windshield if you ever have a wreck. Installed properly, there will be no difference in appearance.

The only downside is urethane can be difficult to use unless you warm the tube very well, it's very thick. The pros use tube warmers and electric caulking guns to apply it quickly and smoothly. They typically apply it so that the bead lays out in a triangular pattern, giving height to the bead. Then the windshield or back glass is lightly set in place, taped from the top so as to not allow the glass to slide down, and light pressure is applied to the glass around the perimeter to get the correct height of the glass for the trim to fit. You can set your trim before the glass to determine this height/depth, then remove the trim, lay down the urethane, and set the glass. Allow it to dry fully before installing the trim. Don't forget to use the tape from the roof of the car to the glass to hold the weight of the glass up.

Install your new trim clips before you lay the urethane. There will be little room to do so after.

I did auto glass for several years and flat glass for almost 20. They used butyl in homes and suffered some of the same issues. Leaks mostly. Rattling glass. It was very inefficient and hasn't been used in home windows since the 80's that I know of nor cars since the 70's.

Even though I have experience I do not have the tube warmer or the electric caulking gun, plus I'm older and probably couldn't set the windshield by myself anyway so I always have a tech come out to lay the bead and set the glass. I install the trim the next day.

Just my $.02

Thanks. Yea. This is definitely a pay for someone to do it right situation for me.

Side note, make sure everything is painted (below the dash and the A pillars) as the moldings (interior and exterior) do not cover as much as one would think. Especially the bottom chrome piece. Painted the car, installed the glass, and then had to go back and paint black over the body color that showed from under the trim. PITA

Good note on the paint. Fortunately, everything is sprayed except for the part behind the door cards (not sure why they didn’t shoot them, but also didn’t care that much.)
Side note, make sure everything is painted (below the dash and the A pillars) as the moldings (interior and exterior) do not cover as much as one would think. Especially the bottom chrome piece. Painted the car, installed the glass, and then had to go back and paint black over the body color that showed from under the trim. PITA

Auto Transport Service
Back