• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Satellite Instrument Cluster restoration

r0yce

Local time
11:17 AM
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm currently restoring my instrument cluster of my 73 Satellite.
Electrically I'm almost done but I wanted to refresh the plastic part aswell.
I though about sanding / scuffing the paint down, apply new primer and black matte paint. The trim could be done with a chrome marker.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to properly redo the "wooden" part of the plastic. Is there any proper process on how to do the wooden structure?
The wood grain is molded into the plastic but I fear that it wont be very visible anymore if I just paint it brown.

Speaking of it, is there a specific brown / RAL color code for that?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_7211.jpeg

:popcorn:

There was a thread a few years ago, but not sure there was a definitive answer.

I'm in the middle of changing out a standard black and silver RL cluster face and vent panel to a RH woodgrain setup.
I've got four vent panels to choose from but all of them need some kind of help on the actual woodgrain face.

There was also a thread about chrome spray paint and which ones look more like chrome.
Easily available VHT was second place.
You might have a look at that versus chrome tape strips.
Might not be a shiny, but there wouldn't be seams.

Back to the wood color- I think the surface of the vent panel is too narrow to get a color match camera on it.
That would be the dead nuts way to do it.

That's cool. Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back