• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 ChAARger

74chAARger

Local time
3:29 PM
Reaction score
I'm modifying this decent Charger SE I found. It belonged to a Granny, who kept the interior nice, and when she passed on, her son wanted it to go to a good home. Mine.:)

043.jpg

046.jpg

The 318 ran very well, I drove it home, but very little power and highway gears. I found an old SP-2P 318 intake, and a 500 CFM Edelbrock carb, and that helped a bit. Next up was a Comp XE 250 H cam.
That woke up the little 318, now it will spin one wheel of the open 8.25 rear end.

I've had the car for 2 years now, and I drive it regularly, but I would like some more power.
Well I had this Idea, how about putting a 340 6-pack in the car, maybe the good one from 1970.
I don't have a Challenger or Cuda, ( or the money for one), but I could put the powertrain in my Charger!

I was looking for a 340 6-pack, when I found the complete 6-pack only, with all the lincages, on a 4-sale site. The owner said he had it for 7 years, and it came from a local auto wrecker. He said they took it off a 1970 car that was smashed up.
I know that these are available as repo's, but I think this is original. The air cleaner has a few small chips, and the filter was dirty from a lot of use.
I asked at my local parts store, and they said they will get a filter for
$160 and 2 weeks delivery. I ordered one from the US for half that price, and it came in the mail in 5 days. They say it is the original Fram filter, but there is no name on the box or the filter. Nice original look.

001.jpg

002.jpg

I didn't find any 340 engines in my area (or price range), so I figured I would keep the 318, and try to give it some more oomph.
I got a set of 302 heads from a core supply, and had a shop shave them 30
thou, and do a valve job. I installed them with the thin Mopar gasket.
It must have done something because the pushrods were very tight and compressed the hydraulic lifters more than usual.
I put shims under the rocker shafts, making sure to elongate the hole in the shim where the oil feeds the rocker arms
I bolted it all together and gave it a try out, still with the 500 CFM AFB carb.
This worked Ok, with plenty of wheelspin on the passenger side of the 8 1/4 open diff. The carb had to be retuned with the new combo, it was too rich.
I have 2 kits for these carbs, and tried some metering rod changes.
These carbs are easy to work on, but the 6-pack could be more of a challenge.

You could buy a 360. They could be just as good as a 360. Thats what ive been told. I'll find out if I cant find a 340 charger.

Hey, with those #302 heads on the older Flat-tappet block you'll need shorter rods. Those heads are off 318ci roller lifter engine's and have a different shaft height, this change's from almost from head to head lol but i would measure and get the correct pushrod length then to shim the rocker shaft(Just IMO). The best thing you can do to wake that 318 up even more is swap out the ECU and buy a FBO ignition kit, it bolts on and plugs it, looks factory and performs great. I put it on my 74 Charger and it wake it up.

Great car BTW hope to see some more pictures soon.

if you really want to wake it up over the winter, swap to some nice pistons(bring the compression up), Hughe's whiplash cam or something more, pick up Engine Quest cylinder heads, cross wind intake and loose the Edlebrock carb for a Holley or better a Demon. Just when ordering the pistons get them either the same or really close tot he same weight of your factory slugs, then you won't need to balance your engine. You'll have a solid 400hp 318ci and it won't be a big difference in gas mileage either.

I swapped out my Edelbrock 600cfm on my 360ci because i got maybe 6mpg went to a 750 Holley that's jetted for a 500hp+ SB lol ran better and i got more then double the gas mileage. Mind you i play'd around with that carb so it would drown my lil engine with fuel but i get about 16mpg.

You could buy a 360. They could be just as good as a 360. Thats what ive been told. I'll find out if I cant find a 340 charger.

A friend of mine put a 360 in his 73 SE. He paid A&A in Indianapolis like $4000 (1996 dollars) to build it but when he got it back it had 450hp. So a 360 is nothing to look down your nose at.

A friend of mine put a 360 in his 73 SE. He paid A&A in Indianapolis like $4000 (1996 dollars) to build it but when he got it back it had 450hp. So a 360 is nothing to look down your nose at.

Oh I know it isnt! Ive seen some of them run in the 1/4 and smoke the crap out of people. Ive wanted a 73 charger 340 for 6 months thats all. But if I find a good looking 318 73/74 charger or even a 360 I'll take it! I didnt mean it in a bad way. I was just stating a dream...

Thanks for the info, 19Charger74, I might need to get custom pushrods. I noticed that they were very tight , but the shims are working so far, just not the best set-up.
I do want better ignition, so I have ordered the "orange box" as well as the ballast resistor and new plug wires.
Th whiplash cam might be good, Hughes makes one for the 318; but if I was going to the expense of changing pistons and heads, I might just build a 360.

When I bought the 6-pack set-up, it came with carbs, but I didn't take pictures until it was on the car. Here it is, a sixpack from a AAR, on a Charger.

Six pack 004.jpg

Six pack 002.jpg

I wanted to replace those small rusty old 318 exhaust manifolds.
I got a hold of a guy who has the 1970 exhaust manifolds for the 340 reproduced (Ben Snobar 360-943-6633 ). I ordered a set, he says they are a good seller.
They should be, they fit any small block B-body or E-body, look great, and have less restriction.

I will get some pictures when I install them. I am going to go to 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe all the way back. These manifolds have the 2 1/2 outlet, and are a very nice casting.

About the pushrods. The roller lifters are taller, so they use shorter pushrods in that application, but the heads are the same height, and will use the 7.500 pushrod in a flat tappet application. In my case, I shaved the head .030 for more compression. I put a .020 shim under the rocker shaft, and no problems.
I gave it a good workout with the 6-pack, and it really revs.

004-2.jpg

Well, I got the exhaust manifolds and put them on. The passenger side needs to have a oil filter adapter to turn the filter 90 degrees.
003-1.jpg

The driver's side manifold curves up and around. It has a different outlet angle than the old one.
002-2.jpg

I took the car to an exhaust shop to do the final hook-ups of the exhaust.
It is now 2 1/2 inch pipe all the way . I painted the manifolds with NAPA high heat header paint, and it is staying on.
005-1.jpg

Very cool man, I just love multi-carbed Mopars. Cool project sounds like you are having a good time with it. Welcome.

looks like granny had good taste when she bought the charger,now you're taking it up to the next level,Keep up the good work.

I am taking it to the next level. Since I don't drive it in the winter on our icy roads, I plan to do some work on it this winter.

So today I brought home a 408 stroker short block (360 based), and I am going to change out the 318 , for the 408 . I will keep the 6 pack intake and carbs, and the exhaust maniflds, and transfer them. I am going to use some J heads with 2.02 intake valves, as the 318 heads are likely too small for the stroker.
Some people suggest aluminum heads, but I am going for the sleeper look, with cast iron heads. The 408 stroker is supposed to make 450 HP, that should be a change from the 318.
I have a 727 transmission, and I plan on running the 8 1/4 rear till it breaks. I will post some pictures, but it won't look much different.

That's not a light car so the 408 will come in handy. Looks like it's coming along well.

The Charger has such a long hood ! I had to drill another hole in the tubing of my engine hoist, to get it to reach the engine.
But the good thing is, you can pull an engine with the hood on, there is lots of room.
I used the CHP stroker kit with dished pistons, and had it assembled by Les and Larry at BEL engines, who do excellent work ( and are very busy ).

Auto Transport Service
Back