• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Charger 440 BOTR (Back on the road) Project

I had a black 74 SE charger, it was a factory 400 auto that I helped one of my best friends put a 440 in back in the early 80s, I ended up with it years later and unfortunately had to sell it. It was black with a black interior but no sunroof like yours. That is incredibly rare. I really like your car. Brings back lots of good memories.

Thank you. I love it also.

That is a very hot cam. Hopefully you're putting a converter in as well? Way cool this is an original 440 car. And I see cruise control as well. Man, this was optioned out. Glad you found it and are saving it.

No converter for now, but I haven't looked at the trans yet. That's on the list. 4.10's and posi in the 8 3/4...

No converter for now, but I haven't looked at the trans yet. That's on the list. 4.10's and posi in the 8 3/4...
May be difficult to keep running in gear and brakes will be very stiff due to lack of vacuum. Hope it works out for you tho.

Well the Charger is back on the road!

The Thermoquad was dumping fuel and I replaced with Holley 750 vac sec. The TQ was in pretty rough shape with lots of orange sealant on it.

Had a number of trans leaks to fix also, but no leaks now. I did install a new master cylinder and just bled the existing brakes - believe it or not everything is holding fluid! I had thought I'd need replace wheel cylinders etc, but all are holding fluid just fine.

The new fuel tank and sender work great and I do get a gas gauge reading!

I used one of the aluminum radiators from Champion - had no idea that was a Chinese part. It had to be modified to fit (that's what I'm seeing on nearly all of the "restoration" stuff also).

I think it's on to wheels and tires next. Looking at the Rev Wheels that are listed on the Holley website - the look similar to the magnum 500. Will need to tune the carb for the secondaries to open earlier.

More to follow!

Well the Charger is back on the road!

The Thermoquad was dumping fuel and I replaced with Holley 750 vac sec. The TQ was in pretty rough shape with lots of orange sealant on it.

Had a number of trans leaks to fix also, but no leaks now. I did install a new master cylinder and just bled the existing brakes - believe it or not everything is holding fluid! I had thought I'd need replace wheel cylinders etc, but all are holding fluid just fine.

The new fuel tank and sender work great and I do get a gas gauge reading!

I used one of the aluminum radiators from Champion - had no idea that was a Chinese part. It had to be modified to fit (that's what I'm seeing on nearly all of the "restoration" stuff also).

I think it's on to wheels and tires next. Looking at the Rev Wheels that are listed on the Holley website - the look similar to the magnum 500. Will need to tune the carb for the secondaries to open earlier.

More to follow!
Keep at it! You'll be running and driving in no time.

Auto Transport Service
Back