• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Roadrunner 360 Sunroof KB5 Blue

Root2812

Local time
11:31 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I just got myself a new toy and I am hoping to find help along the way of bringing it back. Let me give you some back story quick. My first car was a 1965 dart and I got a real interest in Mopars then. Unfortunately, as my teen years came to an end and I enlisted I lost interest in cars for a while and now the Dart is long gone. I'm in my 30's now and recently had my first child. When you be come a parent nostalgia really sets in and you remember your childhood. I began to have vivid memories of my moms old 74 Roadrunner and that restored my interest in old Mopars. I decided I wanted one again but it had to be a driver. A few years ago I started a custom hotrod 1950 Chevy truck with an LS1 and its a ton of work. I just wanted a car I could tinker with and drive.

I ended up buying a 1968 Charger. I bit off way more than I could chew and the car would have had to be a full restoration. I always liked those cars but everything was expensive and it literally needed everything. The floors and frame rails were gone. The same week I realized it was too much of a project my 1 year old daughter had a seizure and ended up in the hospital. I sold the car to cover the medical bills. Fortunately I got a good enough deal I got out of it and made a whopping $200. My daughter is ok though. It was scary but she is going to be 100% ok.

Fast forward 4 months and I got another chance. This time its a 1974 Roadrunner. Nearly identical to the one from my child hood. My moms old car was also a 360 car but it was black and not a sunroof car. Like many Minnesota Mopars it fell victim to rust and met a crushing end in the late 80's.

Anyhow, I got my car now and I am mostly happy. It came from California and doesn't have the rust of a typical Minnesota car. That's a huge plus. It has a little bit in the quarters behind the rear wheels. Its not without its fair share of dents. Its definitely a body man special but its mostly solid. Its a 360 4 barrel car with 245 hp and it has the rare factory sunroof. I don't know if the sunroof is a blessing or a curse yet. I still need to confirm but its supposed to be numbers matching.

She doesn't appear to have had much work before but someone did repaint it the wrong color and they added a tape player under the dash. Car runs great and I drove it home (Not from CA, just from where I met the shipper). It might need some carb work because it hesitates and stumbles under acceleration but idles and cruises really nice.

Anyway wall of text needs to end here. My plan is to get it to be a reliable driver for fun. Later I will fix it nice but that will be after I finish my truck project. I intend to keep it as original as possible but may add a few factory options that I would have ordered.

As you can see its not a bad car. Floors and frame rails are solid.

The interior is trashed. All the plastics have turned to chalk and the seats and carpet are roached. I'd rather replace interior than body panels so I am ok with it. You will see that the headliner is gone but all the sunroof parts seem to be there. It must leak because the seats are destroyed. The steering wheel is one thing I am going to change. I want the one with the roadrunner on the horn button.

I am concerned about the sunroof. Even though all the parts look to be there I think its leaking so I will need seals plus I will have to find the headliner to fit. The biggest worry is that it won't open. I turned the crank and could feel the gears slipping. I will have to take it apart and see... Gulp.....

Here is a question for you guys. This is a California car so I don't know if it makes a difference but my air cleaner is black. All the pics I see online its orange. Is it wrong?

Well thanks for reading though my LONG post. I sure hope you guys will share wisdom and experience with me as I go to bringing this car back to being a reliable cruiser and someday a nice restored car.

Oh and I know someone will ask so here is the fender tag.

I like it. Don't underestimate the fun of a reliable beater. I have a 73 charger that is ROUGH, but runs, drives, all the lights work and it is a ton of fun to take out on the backroads with buddies. Just a tip, make sure the cigarette lighter works, and don't forget the dome light. Just a couple things that can prevent you from having to walk for no reason.

You have a cool ride with a very rare sun roof option. I have two sun roof models. A 74 charger manual and a 78 Magnum with a motor drive. If you have problems with your sun roof or need seals send me a PM.
Robert

Nice car and enjoy . Looks like if you get it back to the original blue it will look sweet . As far the the steering wheel goes , I know you would like the wheel with the Bird center but that is a Tuff Wheel on that and you might want to keep it . If not , I may be interested in that Tuff wheel if the price is reasonable . :) As far as the Interior , buckets on Mopars never lasted long anyway . They got torn up pretty quick plus the Cali sun does nasty things to plastic so it might not be your sunroof leaking . If the Sunroof was leaking I would thing the floors would be rusty . Good Luck !

Here is a question for you guys. This is a California car so I don't know if it makes a difference but my air cleaner is black. All the pics I see online its orange. Is it wrong?

I believe that may be the correct air cleaner for a 74 Road Runner, although it looks a little large. Perhaps a perspective thing?
The 73 Road Runner and Charger shared an orange air cleaner with other body styles - PN 3614908 for the 340 engine in VLBJRW bodies. PN 3769046 for those manufactured after Dec 72.

The 74 B bodies RW, Road Runner and Charger, with the 360 and 318 4bbl engines got PN 3769004 while the VLBJ, Duster, Dart, Challenger, and Barracuda with the 360 engine got PN 4006500. I have several of these VLBJ air cleaners and they are orange with a short snorkel.

I have seen black air cleaners on 74 Runners and Chargers a few times, but as you say most of the time you see an orange one. There is probably a smaller black air cleaner on the 2bbl models. I think the black air cleaners were one of those things that got changed out for an aftermarket performance open element air cleaner soon after the car was purchased. Very often it was one of the first changes made along with aluminum wheels. I bought my 74 Road Runner in 1977 and it had an open element cleaner on it when I brought it home from the used car dealer.
There is a Web site, "Nicks Garage - Air Cleaners" that has pictures of the air cleaners offered by Ma Mopar during the performance years. This site shows the 74 B-bodies having an orange air cleaner with a long snorkel and a flap in the bottom. I have seen one of those on ebay listed as a 4 speed air cleaner. Not convinced that there is a difference since the parts book only lists one air cleaner for the 4bbl engines and color is not specified. Personally I have never seen this air cleaner and would very much like to. I'm not saying it didn't happen because lots of things happened with Ma Mopar, just that I've not seen one. The site also shows the short snorkel cleaner used on the VLBJ bodies. It also shows a black long snorkel air cleaner for the 75 A and B bodies.
I think the 74 B body 360 and 318 4bbl. cars did come with a black long snorkel air cleaner for the most part. Evidence from untouched low mileage cars is out there (again typically 2bbl cars). Perhaps early models may have gotten an orange air cleaner like the one in the photo at the Nick Garage Web site. In any case I've not seen a whole lot of documentation for air cleaners on the 74's likely because (as we all know) this model year is a bit of a stepchild when it comes to Mopars from the muscle era and they tend to get ignored.

Last edited:
Looks like a cool project!!!!

Thanks. I am excited about it.

I like it. Don't underestimate the fun of a reliable beater. I have a 73 charger that is ROUGH, but runs, drives, all the lights work and it is a ton of fun to take out on the backroads with buddies. Just a tip, make sure the cigarette lighter works, and don't forget the dome light. Just a couple things that can prevent you from having to walk for no reason.

I know the dome light works. Are you saying those will drain the battery? I haven't checked the lighter yet.

You have a cool ride with a very rare sun roof option. I have two sun roof models. A 74 charger manual and a 78 Magnum with a motor drive. If you have problems with your sun roof or need seals send me a PM.
Robert

Thank you. I will definitely be contacting you. When it warms up I am going to have to pull the sunroof assembly out to try and see whats wrong. I turned the crank and I felt it try and move but then felt a gear slip. I also found some crap stuck in it to prop the sunroof up level with the roof. I just decided I need to get it where I can see it good before I screw with it too much. I don't want to break anything. When I have it out it will go back in with new seals for sure.

Nice car and enjoy . Looks like if you get it back to the original blue it will look sweet . As far the the steering wheel goes , I know you would like the wheel with the Bird center but that is a Tuff Wheel on that and you might want to keep it . If not , I may be interested in that Tuff wheel if the price is reasonable . :) As far as the Interior , buckets on Mopars never lasted long anyway . They got torn up pretty quick plus the Cali sun does nasty things to plastic so it might not be your sunroof leaking . If the Sunroof was leaking I would thing the floors would be rusty . Good Luck !

I didn't know this steering wheel was desirable. It has a chunk out of it on the top. I don't know if that can be fixed or not. You might be right about the leak. I haven't gotten it up in the air to really look at the floors but they seem really good. Thanks for the luck!

I believe that may be the correct air cleaner for a 74 Road Runner, although it looks a little large. Perhaps a perspective thing?
The 73 Road Runner and Charger shared an orange air cleaner with other body styles - PN 3614908 for the 340 engine in VLBJRW bodies. PN 3769046 for those manufactured after Dec 72.

The 74 B bodies RW, Road Runner and Charger, with the 360 and 318 4bbl engines got PN 3769004 while the VLBJ, Duster, Dart, Challenger, and Barracuda with the 360 engine got PN 4006500. I have several of these VLBJ air cleaners and they are orange with a short snorkel.

I have seen black air cleaners on 74 Runners and Chargers a few times, but as you say most of the time you see an orange one. There is probably a smaller black air cleaner on the 2bbl models. I think the black air cleaners were one of those things that got changed out for an aftermarket performance open element air cleaner soon after the car was purchased. Very often it was one of the first changes made along with aluminum wheels. I bought my 74 Road Runner in 1977 and it had an open element cleaner on it when I brought it home from the used car dealer.
There is a Web site, "Nicks Garage - Air Cleaners" that has pictures of the air cleaners offered by Ma Mopar during the performance years. This site shows the 74 B-bodies having an orange air cleaner with a long snorkel and a flap in the bottom. I have seen one of those on ebay listed as a 4 speed air cleaner. Not convinced that there is a difference since the parts book only lists one air cleaner for the 4bbl engines and color is not specified. Personally I have never seen this air cleaner and would very much like to. I'm not saying it didn't happen because lots of things happened with Ma Mopar, just that I've not seen one. The site also shows the short snorkel cleaner used on the VLBJ bodies. It also shows a black long snorkel air cleaner for the 75 A and B bodies.
I think the 74 B body 360 and 318 4bbl. cars did come with a black long snorkel air cleaner for the most part. Evidence from untouched low mileage cars is out there (again typically 2bbl cars). Perhaps early models may have gotten an orange air cleaner like the one in the photo at the Nick Garage Web site. In any case I've not seen a whole lot of documentation for air cleaners on the 74's likely because (as we all know) this model year is a bit of a stepchild when it comes to Mopars from the muscle era and they tend to get ignored.

Thanks for the interesting info. At some point this week I will pull the air cleaner off and look for a part number and take some measurements to share with you.

- - - Updated - - -

I pulled the seat last night and found what was left of the build sheet. I saved it but its really rough and I can hardly read anything on it. Too bad.

So just out of curiosity... I wonder if I did ok on the price. I checked hagerty valuation and tried looking at all the ads I could find. I am pretty sure I did ok but.. Assuming its numbers matching, runs and drives good, and has a solid body like I described, what would some of you value this car at? Just an approximation. I am also curious because I have to provide a value to my classic car insurance.

I know its winter so prices are down somewhat but I know there just aren't any cars in Minnesota with this little rust.

Thanks again for the info so far. This is going to be a fun process.

I ran out and looked at that air cleaner. I couldn't find a part number but I also didn't know where to look. I did take a few pictures of it. It has a flap on the snorkel.
D4F98302-558E-4A79-84BC-BC293CA2348B_zpsnzczuxuq.jpg
[/

Carb looks nice

You say the interior is trashed....well, that dash looks near perfect. Sure, the seats and door panels might be beat to ****, but I'd count your lucky stars to have such a great looking dash after all of these years.

Great looking car and project!

I ran out and looked at that air cleaner. I couldn't find a part number but I also didn't know where to look. I did take a few pictures of it. It has a flap on the snorkel.
D4F98302-558E-4A79-84BC-BC293CA2348B_zpsnzczuxuq.jpg
[/

Carb looks nice

I'll have to dig my air cleaners out on compare them to your pics.
You said you thought it was a California car? Do you have a photo of the emission decal on the hood? Also I'd like to see photos of the relay where the fusible link is attached, the bulkhead where the wiring goes through the firewall and the strut rod washers if you have those pictures.

check ebay for tuff wheel. Periodically you will be able to pick a new one for around $200 complete.

I have 3 '74 360 chargers. You have the right black air cleaner

From what I recall. A Body 360's received the short snout orange air cleaners

What I found curious was that your VIN shows an 'L' code 360. I thought California cars were the 'J' code 360.

Cool car

Last edited:
You say the interior is trashed....well, that dash looks near perfect. Sure, the seats and door panels might be beat to ****, but I'd count your lucky stars to have such a great looking dash after all of these years.

Great looking car and project!

You are right. The dash is pretty good. I am happy about that. Most the rest can be replaced easy enough. I am missing some sunroof parts so that could get challenging.

I'll have to dig my air cleaners out on compare them to your pics.
You said you thought it was a California car? Do you have a photo of the emission decal on the hood? Also I'd like to see photos of the relay where the fusible link is attached, the bulkhead where the wiring goes through the firewall and the strut rod washers if you have those pictures.

I will get all the pictures I can for you when it warms up. It was 10 degrees out today and I don't want to go do anything out there. :) I was pretty positive it was a California car but today I was on the phone with the 3rd owner and he got it out of southern Oregon so its possible it was originally an Oregon car. I found what is left of the build sheet but its so rough I don't know if I can get much info out of it.

I have 3 '74 360 chargers. You have the right black air cleaner

From what I recall. A Body 360's received the short snout orange air cleaners

What I found curious was that your VIN shows an 'L' code 360. I thought California cars were the 'J' code 360.

Cool car

I guess I don't know the difference between the L and J code motors. I talked to the 3rd owner and the car spent time in Oregon so it might be from there. Thanks for the confirmation in the air cleaner. I really want to keep the car original. Today I found out that might be difficult....

So the whole story is that I bought this car on ebay. I never buy things sight unseen but these car's don't exist here with this little rust. Most rusted away so it was worth the risk for the body. I didn't know how good the mechanicals would be or if it was numbers matching. The ebay listing said numbers matching but you can't trust that sometimes. Anyway I ran into a potential title issue. The listing said clean title. The car did have a clean title, just in someone elses name. apparently, Conneticut (where the car was when I bought it) is a no title state for cars over 20 years old. So that guy never had to title the car. He just registered it and drove it. That seller gave me the California title. I went to register it and someone had mismarked the title making it "altered". I gave my paper work to the Minnesota DMV and am waiting for the results but the DMV teller told me that the alteration could void the title.

I (upset) called the seller from ebay. He gave me the name of the seller from California. Now the story unfolds.... The guy in CA was the 3rd owner (Steve). He loved this car. Someone lied to him and he was kinda upset when we first started talking. The car was originally sold in 1974 and repo'd in 1975. The second owner bought it in 1975 and all of their kids took it to college and they kept it until sometime around the early 2000's. That's when Steve got the car. From the sound of it he loved this car and did a lot of work. The entire front end has been rebuilt, new fuel tank, new fuel pump, a carb rebuild, new plugs, wires, and distributer cap. No wonder the car runs so good. He also told me the tranny went bad. The tranny in my car has 1000 miles on a fresh rebuild. He has the original tranny in his garage in CA.

Don't get me wrong.. A rebuilt tranny is great but part of me wishes I had that numbers matching tranny to go with my numbers matching motor. He said we could strike a deal on it but I am already broke from buying the car and thats a long ways just for a few stamped numbers... Do you guys think its worth the value to the car to pursue the original tranny?

He also told me the original 2 row radiator leaked so he swapped in a 3 row from a truck. It doesn't look out of place but he said it didn't fit perfectly. I will probably leave that alone. The other thing is that apparently the 2nd owner had a pinion seal or something go bad. They pulled the posi and stuck in an open unit. I have the open unit and the original posi is in CA next to the transmission. That blows... He wanted $600 for the posi. I have no idea if that is worth it but I am out of money anyway. So open rear for now I guess.

In the end, I have a great car with lots of pluses but now I am missing a few key items, the numbers matching trans and the posi unit.

Steve also told me that he would be willing to help me get a replacement title if I needed it. He was a genuine guy so my mind is at ease. If the state rejects my transfer I will get a new title from Steve and try again.

On with the story.. Steve bought the car in Oregon from the second owner and brought it to Southern CA. He had it for about a decade when he was injured and could no longer work on the car. While talking to him it was obvious that he loved this car. He sold it to a guy named Sean who told him he would restore it. Sean apparently lied. The car was immediately resold to a guy in Connecticut. The guy in Connecticut is the one I bought the car from. Steve told me he was upset to see the car on ebay. He couldn't even watch the auction to see the price it went for. When I told him about my love for the car he showed an appreciation that the car was safe. Its not with people just flipping it for a buck anymore.

Steve had given Sean a complete book with all the receipts for all the work ever done to the car. That is now missing. Steve told me to call him anytime and he will tell me what he has replaced. He was a hell of a nice guy. I am going to save this car and send him pictures so he knows its in good hands.

Unfortunately, not only the book went missing. The sunroof never worked the whole time Steve owned the car but he did say the missing bezel around the crank was there when he sold it. That is now missing. I hope I can find one but I won't hold my breath. I have a back up plan though...

Now my mind is at ease that any title issues will be resolved. I may be the 6th "owner" of the car but I am the 4th registered owner so to me that makes me the cars 4th owner.

So let me ask you guys these questions...

Should I try and get the original tranny? I have the numbers matching motor so on a 74 RR will the tranny with the right stamped numbers add any value at all? I am thinking that I should just let it go since this one is rebuilt but I just don't know.

2nd, is $600 a good price for the posi unit out of the rear end? That seems like a lot of money for used parts. That will be the last thing I change because I need to spend money on other parts of the car first.

Thanks for all the kind words about my car. Sorry for the wall of text again. I know a car's story is 1/2 the fun of having a classic car so I want to share it. I am a newbie to these cars so stay tuned for more questions. :)

Last edited:
KB5 is a cool color. A bit on the turquoise side.

That's why you need that first character when discussing "B5" blue.

Looks great with black and white interior, like you have.

...of course being a 360 sunroof car is also cool.

Sounds like this guy Steve has had the transmission & rear for a long time. So there doesn't seem to be any rush to obtain these parts. Tell him you are interested but that you just don't have the money ready. Sounds like he would understand that

As for the "posi" (sure grip) piece. 600 is too high. I just recently picked up a complete rear. Drum to drum. 71-74 b body 8 3/4 sure grip in the twin cities for about the same. I felt I paid high on that.

So, your car came original with a 8-1/4 sure grip? That's interesting.

The three 360 cars i have are all different
9-1/4
8-3/4
8-1/4
Of course I don't have a build sheet for any of them to see what is right or changed.

What part of MN are you from

Sounds like this guy Steve has had the transmission & rear for a long time. So there doesn't seem to be any rush to obtain these parts. Tell him you are interested but that you just don't have the money ready. Sounds like he would understand that

As for the "posi" (sure grip) piece. 600 is too high. I just recently picked up a complete rear. Drum to drum. 71-74 b body 8 3/4 sure grip in the twin cities for about the same. I felt I paid high on that.

So, your car came original with a 8-1/4 sure grip? That's interesting.

The three 360 cars i have are all different
9-1/4
8-3/4
8-1/4
Of course I don't have a build sheet for any of them to see what is right or changed.

What part of MN are you from

i don't know if it's an 8 1/4 or 8 3/4. I honestly don't know a lot about mopars and it's been to cold to crawl under there and see. Did I say 8 1/4 at some point or give info that says it has one? Steve only said they took the sure grip out and put in the open parts. I interpret that as having the original rear end in there but with different gears... I'm not sure. I did look online and found pictures so once it warms up I'll crawl under and look to see what it is.

i live in Coon Rapids. It's a northern suburb of Minneapois if you didn't know. Where are you from?

Auto Transport Service
Back