• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Smokey burnouts..

justanotherguy

Local time
4:27 AM
Reaction score
So, the previous post about the sebring plus and the guy's dilemma about what to do with his 73 has me thinking about my ride.

I got a 73 Satellite not long ago with the desire to learn more about how to work on cars and tinker. Its a fun, frustrating hobby.

It has a 400, eddy performer intake, 600 cfm eddy carb, a mystery cam, 727 with a slapstick, an 8 1/4" rear, and dual exhaust. It's also rolling on, I think, 31" rears with what i assume are stock gears. I don't have the money or the real desire to do any sort of restomod to the car. Check out the photo....it's got ratrod written all over it.

My only real desire is to make it do burnouts. It'll slay the passenger's rear tire on a sharp right turn slightly uphill in 1st, but in a straight line? Forget about it. Even a one wheel peel In a straight line is out of my grasp. I'm guessing most will say smaller tires and regear with some sort of sure grip.

Before this becomes a novel, it runs and drives fairly well, but will stall on idle in gear once warmed up. If anyone has questions about it, feel free to ask.

I fully expect ludicrous comments. Bring it

Screenshot_20231111_192000_Gallery.jpg

First off do yourself a favor and giver her a tune up and fluid change (oil, water, trans, rear end), then spend a little time getting the timing sorted out as well as you can (lots of HP to be lost there even if it runs good). At this point you can then evaluate where you are and want to be. Seeing that you have a 8 1/4 I would be looking for a 8 3/4 out of something else with a decent set of gears (might have to do it separately; housing then 3rd member)

Sure you could do all sorts of other things like new cam, bigger/better exhaust, heads, etc. but now you have a money pit that isn't any real fun and more of a chore in many ways.

A set of gears like 3.55 or better yet 3.91 will make you grin all day in that thing (as long as the trans holds).

Good call. I've only changed the oil and coolant... a flush of the others sure wouldn't hurt. Man, I've been looking for a 8 3/4, but they are hard to come by in oregon!

Last edited:
Good call. I've only changed the oil and coolant... a flush of the others sure wouldn't hurt. Man, I've been looking for a 8 3/4, but they are hard to come by in oregon!
Where are you in OR? I might have a solution for you here in WA, I am near Olympia. I have a 8 3/4 out of a 70 RR that I am building for friend in Australia and it is for sale I believe. You would have to cut off and relocate the spring perches.

The answer to the riddle is , 4.56 gears and 26" tires.
Turns a dud into a muscle car.

Smokey burnouts are the sound and smell of Freedom.

First off you don't have 31" tall rear tires. They look 28" from here.

A sure grip will make it harder to spin the tires, you will have twice the traction.

You need lots of gear and short tires. Buy some old radial TA's, those things will spin like nothing else.

There was a guy that was so desperate to join in the fun at the woods one day he backed his car up to the real tall curb and did a burnout in reverse. I don't remember if he poured beer down first but everybody there was like WTF?

Here's a possible 8 3/4 housing and axles if you're in the pdx area. Maybe the guy can get you measurements and make sure it'll fit your year of b body.

Guessing this was a 318 car, since you wouldn't get a 8 1/4 with a 400. That said, atleast 3.54 gears and a higher stall TC would do wonders, But that small ujoint 8.25 aint gonna last long if it hooks up!

Of course the easiest way would be with a windshield washer pump, a gallon of bleach, and some squirters in front of the tires.

Mark

Last edited:
Where are you in OR? I might have a solution for you here in WA, I am near Olympia. I have a 8 3/4 out of a 70 RR that I am building for friend in Australia and it is for sale I believe. You would have to cut off and relocate the spring perches.
I appreciate the offer! I'm mainly looking for a drop in replacement as I don't have a welder. I've been going off this for a guide as to what will drop in.

Screenshot_20240124_113146_Chrome.jpg

Guessing this was a 318 car, since you wouldn't get a 8 1/4 with a 400. That said, atleast 3.54 gears and a higher stall TC would do wonders, But that small ujoint 8.25 aint gonna last long if it hooks up!

Of course the easiest way would be with a windshield washer pump, a gallon of bleach, and some squirters in front of the tires.

Mark
Believe it or not, the vin has it from the factory as a 400 2 bbl. I'll post some pictures of the rear end and make sure I'm looking at it right. Who knows, maybe it's the 9 1/4......though I seriously doubt it hahaha

Definitely not a 9 1/4 I am sure but I'd think it should be a 8 3/4 with a 400 in it.

First off you don't have 31" tall rear tires. They look 28" from here.

A sure grip will make it harder to spin the tires, you will have twice the traction.

You need lots of gear and short tires. Buy some old radial TA's, those things will spin like nothing else.
You're right. Rears are 275 60r17...so 30"... fronts are 235s

Although I am not sure, but I recall an all Mopar yard either in Washington or Oregon. I don't recall the name of it, unfortunately.

Auto Transport Service
Back