1975 Roadrunner, the last real runners - anymore out there?

1975 - 1979 Mopars

1. pioneer61

pioneer61 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:57 PM
    i have a P code 76 Cordoba, no cats, dual snorkel air cleaner housing. Has a U on fender tag for US build. Saw the same on a P code 78 Magnum. Dealer Data books show the P code engine available in 49 states, California excepted.

2. Photon440

Photon440 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:57 PM
    Yes, it was a Canadian car. However as I said, it was the vehicle emissions that were mandated, not the method that reached the target. For example, Ford didn't put cats on all it's 1975 cars, a move that kept prices down but also meant lower gas mileage because of the way the engines had to be tuned. Here's a clip from the New York Times, August 5, 1975 which refers to the upcoming 1976 model year.

DETROIT, Aug. 4 (UPI)—The Ford Motor Company, whose decision a year ago largely to avoid catalytic converters cost it heaviy in the competition over mileage claims, is changing over all its models to catalytic converters for 1976.

The use of the catalytic converter on its smallest cars—the Ford Pinto and Mercury Bobcat —has already raised fuel economy to 34 miles per gallon in highway driving, compared with 26 M.P.G. at the beginning of the year. The 1976 Pinto has already been rated at 37 M.P.G. in Government tests.

Robert B. Alexander, a Ford vice president in charge of the car engineering group, told a National Transportation Research Board hearing today in Ann Arbor, Mich., “Our No. 1 priority is fuel economy, with simplification of our product line‐up a close and closely related second.” He also said cars would be “down‐sized.”

While the General Motors Corporation, the No. 1 company in the auto industry, was going 100 per cent with the mufflerlike device last fall with a resultant over‐all fuel‐economy improvement, Ford, the No. 2 concern, had catalytic converters on only 65 per cent of its cars. As a result, its over‐all fuel economy dropped on 1975 models, and it has been playing catch‐up all year with several mid ‐ year fuel ‐ economy improvements.

Some competitors say Ford made a mistake in not using the catalytic converter as much as possible on its 1975 models. Its share of domestic new‐car sales dropped from 29.2 per cent in the first half of 1974 to 27.3 per cent in the first six months this year.

The catalytic converter was the industry's response to Federal rules calling for cleaner air. But it also allowed engineers to retune their engines for better fuel economy.

3. Micah Pohlman

Micah Pohlman Active Member

Local Time:
    book 1.JPG book 2.JPG
    But I also just found else-ware in the book a listing of what stripe colors go with what vinyl roof options. KB5 was available 74 and 75 maybe with the change of body on the assembly line some colors didn't spray well on the new contours? Maybe they were thinking of eliminating the color, it did only last two years, either not popular or difficult to spray? Without a time machine it's all kinda guess.

• Like Like x 2
    • barnfind

barnfind Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Had a 75 and 74 in this color scheme. The 75 had the trunk decal and cranker sunroof. Would like to find another one day.

• coronet4406

coronet4406 Active Member

Local Time:
      Where did you get that book I want one

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Micah Pohlman

Micah Pohlman Active Member

Local Time:
        I found it at a swap meet. I have one for Dodge 78 and 79 but can't seem to find them right now.

• pioneer61

pioneer61 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Sunroof option! Dang that's a rare one. Would be great if it was still out there somewhere.

• Tim Ziegler

Tim Ziegler Member

Local Time:
        Love those 75's. They are heavy but with the orange air cleaner 400, a set of headers, 4.10 gears in that 9 1/4, a set of 28x9 slicks - it'll talk the talk. Spend all summer at the dragstrip

• Tim Ziegler

Tim Ziegler Member

Local Time:
        A 75 with the orange air cleaner 400 option, headers, 4.10 gears in that 9 1/4. 75's are kinda heavy

• Darter6

Darter6 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        I've been reading these posts and want to chime in. In 75-76 I was working at a Dodge dealership.Very bleak days for Chrysler and we were told daily that Chrysler was going out of business. That started around 1974.The cars they were shipping were very poorly built and warranty claims were thru the roof. Anyway we were getting in late 75's early 76's 400 lean burn Chargers without cats. I bought a new 1976 Aspen 318 and it had a air pump instead of a cat. If I remember correctly the 225,360,440 cars from 1975 up all had cats. My 360 75 Charger that I bought for my dad had a cat.This excludes Trucks.They were a different story. I bought a new 1978 W 150 with a 400 and no cats.
        I've always said when it came to Ma Mopar back then, you never know what ya gonna get.
        Just remembering those days and as crappy as they were,I loved working for Chrysler and those cars.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 7:37 AM
        • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.