• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 Roadrunner, the last real runners - anymore out there?

havent been able to look at fender tag yet. will tonight. and will let you know..mostly rust free except for quarters...318 is locked up

is the crossmember the same for a 318 and a 400?
If you are asking about the engine cradle, AKA K-member? Then, no. The left side motor mount stanchion is about an inch higher with the big block, or is it lower. I don't have one of each easily accessible to go measure. But there is a height difference in that one thing only.

If you are asking about the engine cradle, AKA K-member? Then, no. The left side motor mount stanchion is about an inch higher with the big block, or is it lower. I don't have one of each easily accessible to go measure. But there is a height difference in that one thing only.
Its an inch lower for a big block. The pass side is moved back about 3/4" to 1" if memory serves.

may be the lowest optioned Road Runner out there

75 fender  tag.PNG

I have to disagree about 73 and 81.

There are a lot of commonalities in the small parts areas but just the transverse torsion bar setup, rear frame rail distance, wheelbase and interior and exterior dimensions is enough to separate the late B body and the M body significantly.

I own a 73 and an 86 5th Ave.

I've been all over both of them.

There are a lot of commonalities in the small parts areas but just the transverse torsion bar setup, rear frame rail distance, wheelbase and interior and exterior dimensions is enough to separate the late B body and the M body significantly.

He mentioned R bodies (1981), which were based on the B body. Your '86 is a totally different car.

I never said an 86 5th Ave is the same, I said an 81 is.
The 86 Fifth Ave is not a B or R body. It is an M body, Based on the 76 F body Aspen.
The 81 5th Ave is an R body, based on the 73 B body.

This is an 81 5th Ave. Nothing like an 86. It is basically a reskinned 73 B body underneath.
upload_2020-4-3_8-12-18.png

This is an 81 5th Ave. Nothing like an 86. It is basically a reskinned 73 B body underneath.
View attachment 931189
That's one of the great things I love about Mopar, if they had something that worked they left it alone and kept using it and using it and using it. The last decades' worth of b-body, all the B-Van parts that are just 'borrowed' from a-body and b-body platforms and then made it into the pickups from 72 through 93, the FWD is another world of cross-over fun. And it makes junk yard finds cheaper if you can buy popular car parts off of a less desirable car/truck.

Didn't see that part.

View attachment 931189

Too bad Chrysler never kept these around. I think this would have been a better choice to use over the F Body based M Body. The M Body is nice car but,the R platform would have been a better match for the Caprice and Crown Victoria in my opinion.

Too bad Chrysler never kept these around. I think this would have been a better choice to use over the F Body based M Body. The M Body is nice car but,the R platform would have been a better match for the Caprice and Crown Victoria in my opinion.

I think Iacocca blew that one.

Too bad Chrysler never kept these around. I think this would have been a better choice to use over the F Body based M Body. The M Body is nice car )but,the R platform would have been a better match for the Caprice and Crown Victoria in my opinion.
It wouldn't have made sense to keep these around if nobody wanted them at the time. In the last year (1981) Chrysler sold 5,431 New Yorkers. Even combining all the New Yorkers, Newports, Dodge St. Regis and Plymouth Gran Fury sales, fewer than 40,000 were built that year and the production line was needed for something that was actually moving off the car lots. The M body on the other hand was selling so well that AMC converted one of their production lines over to build them for Chrysler, and this was before Chrysler bought AMC.

It wouldn't have made sense to keep these around if nobody wanted them at the time. In the last year (1981) Chrysler sold 5,431 New Yorkers. Even combining all the New Yorkers, Newports, Dodge St. Regis and Plymouth Gran Fury sales, fewer than 40,000 were built that year and the production line was needed for something that was actually moving off the car lots. The M body on the other hand was selling so well that AMC converted one of their production lines over to build them for Chrysler, and this was before Chrysler bought AMC.

That's true but, I'm wondering what a minor refresh or if they had done something different from get go would have compared?

Auto Transport Service
Back