• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 Magnum Advice Request

kp1241

Local time
7:12 AM
Reaction score
Hi All - A couple of weeks ago I purchased a 1979 Magnum I intended to restore. Guy I bought it from out of Rockford Il told me clear title, all good. The car was $800 running so I didn't expect to much. I got there in a torrential downpour. Verified title VIN with dash VIN and we are off and running, car is a pile but I am okay with the screwdriver ignition.

I get home, sand off the door sticker, fender tag and grind off the bondo over the number behind the radiator, guess what, they DO NOT match!!!! I contacted the guy I bought it from and crickets sounds. Door/radiator number/fender tag match - 360 car black/red buddy seat vinyl interior.

The dash VIN indicates a G 318. The other numbers indicate 360 as stated. Go to the engine, yep, older 318, NOT any numbers match.

Magnums always appealed to me and I was really excited to get a t-top. The fender tag on this car indicates 360, A/C. black exterior and red interior. My car has a hack job interior/buckets and console installed. Motor is a joke 318 that needs work. Clearly a previous owner replaced the dash with the VIN which matches the title and I believe half-*** swapped interiors. NOTHING was hooked up and the wiring underhood and underdash is a mess.

My question here is, should I fix this old Magnum up or part it out. I could just scream with the lies I was told. I, in the rainstorm, checked the dash VIN and title and thought good to go till a few days later when I investigated the numbers. I HATE the thought of parting out an junking ANY 78-79 Magnum. They are getting more scarce.....

Looking for your guys advice on this one. I LOVE these old Magnums and hate to part/crush one, but with the screwed up numbers that I got totally lied to about and screwed on, do I blow the car apart and restore it as a driver??? OR do I part it out to recoup my 800 dollars. Please be honest, I have done old road runners and super bees and switched to this body style because of the cool. Thanks guys, look forward to your advice which will determine this Magnum's fate. Ken

Thanks guys, this website has been awesome as has the C bodies website.

Magnume Front View.jpg Magnume T Tops.jpg Magnum VIN Dash Number.jpg Magnum Door Sticker Number.jpg Magnum Butchered Dash 2.jpg Magnum Interior True Interior Color Red 2.jpg Magnum Fender Tag Clear.jpg Magnum Butchered Dash 2.jpg Magnum Left Front.jpg Magnum Left Rear.jpg

My opinion, you got your 800 dollars worth and then some. If you want to invest your money into making it what you want, you will have non-matching numbers car, that's not a big deal in today's old car market. If its not a rust bucket and has good bones make it cool and what you want.

It is an $800 driver. Even with the numbers mis-match it is worth what you paid. If you are looking for a driver, you have found it. If you are looking for something to restore, move on. My first new car was a 78 Magnum triple white, and I have had others since, with lots of left-over parts, but they are never going to be something that has a lot of value. Nice looking cars, however.....

If the title only matches the vin on the dash then you don't have the correct title for the car.

I had the same thing on a '73 Challenger. The vin is affixed to the dash pad and someone changed it. Stupidest thing Mopar ever did.

Hell, if you can register it do it. I mean hell its old and I don't think anyone would second guess an old car having a hodge podge of parts. I mean I have a 1966 with a 67 fender at that age I'm guessing it will get a pass.

You might wanna check to see if the "real" numbers on the car are ok with the authorities first...
just sayin'.

As stated above...its worth what you paid for it...and if vin on dash matches title register it and have fun enjoying the car...bring it up here for Celebrate Waupun car show June 30 and see my '79 Magnum GT etc.

100_0506.JPG

I thank all of you - make me feel somewhat better and I will just turn it into a driver - build the way I envisioned it (black/silver). Mopardten - thank you for pointing that out. I did run both of the VIN's - the dash VIN and title come back to the guy that is listed on the title last registered in late 2013. The guy I bought it from bought it in late 2015, didn't know how to turn a screwdriver and parked it in his back yard till putting it on CL a month ago.

As far as the fender tag VIN, that does not come back on file (meaning who knows what happened to the dash of this car) - but one thing for sure, NEITHER is stolen.....thank goodness.

Again, this site is great and thank you for all of your wisdom!!! Pete, I may try to get to the Waupun show on the 30th, I am coming home from up north and if I ain't too fried out I think I will stop in!!! Thanks for the heads up. Ken

This is the kind of car I don't mind seeing being messed with, it will never be an original numbers matching car.......so have fun with it!!

stolen or not, is it not federally illegal to have a car with an incorrect VIN?

stolen or not, is it not federally illegal to have a car with an incorrect VIN?

SORRY TO ALL ABOUT THIS LONG POST BUT THOUGHT THE RESEARCH MAY HELP OTHER PEOPLE THAT HAVE DEALT WITH THIS!!

YY1 - I had the same thoughts after discovering the discrepancies. I believe the previous owner would hang his hat on "reasonably necessary for repair" - although after repeated calls and texts he just doesn't want to seem to talk to me. WI law actually allows for this if for "reasonable repair" but requires an inspection and issuance of a new ID number they affix to the car - when they are satisfied it is not stolen. I am going to try this avenue. This way there will be a full disclosure of what I got ripped off on. Also, regarding your reference to federal law, I did some research and found the following regarding the U.S. Code:

18 U.S. Code § 511.Altering or removing motor vehicle identification numbers

person who—tampers with, or alters an identification number for a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part; or

motor vehicle, knowingly removes, obliterates,tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act,
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

person specified in paragraph (2) of this subsection (unless such person knows that the vehicle or part involved is stolen).

persons referred to in paragraph (1) of this subsection are—

motor vehicle scrap processor or a motor vehicle demolisher who complies with applicable State law with respect to such vehicle or part;

person who repairs such vehicle or part, if the removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration is reasonably necessary for the repair;

person who restores or replaces an identification number for such vehicle or part in accordance with applicable State law; and

person who removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act, if that person is the owner of the motor vehicle, or is authorized to remove, obliterate, tamper with or alter the decal or device by—

owner or his authorized agent;

State or local law; or Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act.

identification number” means a number or symbol that is inscribed or affixed for purposes of identification under chapter 301 and part C of subtitle VI of title 49;

motor vehicle” has the meaning given that term in section 32101 of title 49;

motor vehicle demolisher” means a person, including any motor vehicle dismantler or motor vehicle recycler, who is engaged in the business of reducing motor vehicles or motor vehicle parts to metallic scrap that is unsuitable for use as either a motor vehicle or a motor vehicle part;

motor vehicle scrap processor” means a person—
motor vehicles
or motor vehicle parts for reduction to metallic scrap for recycling;

person relating to the recycling of a motor vehicle or a motor vehicle part as a used motor vehicle or a used motor vehicle part.

tampers with” includes covering a program decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act for the purpose of obstructing its visibility.

(Added Pub. L. 98–547, title II, § 201(a), Oct. 25, 1984, 98 Stat. 2768; amended Pub. L. 103–272, § 5(e)(3), July 5, 1994, 108 Stat. 1373; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXII, § 220003(a)–(c), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2076, 2077; Pub. L. 104–294, title VI, § 604(b)(8), Oct. 11, 1996, 110 Stat. 3507.)

In Wisconsin, I found the following (which I already knew):

ANTI-THEFT AND ANTI-FRAUD PROVISIONS

342.30  Identification numbers.

(1c)  In this section, “owner" includes the lessee of a vehicle if the vehicle is registered, or required to be registered, by the lessee under ch. 341.

(1g) 
(a) Except as provided in par. (b), no person may remove, alter or obliterate or intentionally make it impossible to read, as required under sub. (2), an identification number. This subsection does not apply to the obliteration of an identification number which occurs in the process of crushing a vehicle or vehicle part for scrap.

342.30(1g)(b)(b) A person who repairs a vehicle or vehicle part may remove and replace a decal that contains an identification number if the removal and replacement is reasonably necessary for the repair.

Cross-reference: See also ch. Trans 155, Wis. adm. code.
(1m) When the department is satisfied as to the ownership of a vehicle subject to registration which has not been numbered by the manufacturer or on which the original number has been removed, obliterated or altered or on which the original casting has been replaced or on which a new identification number is required under s. 342.06 (1) (f), the department shall assign a new identification number for each such vehicle.

(2) Except as provided in this subsection, an identification number assigned by the department to a vehicle shall be permanently affixed to a location on the vehicle specified by the department that is readily visible when observed from outside the vehicle. Identification numbers assigned for cycles shall be stamped on the left side, near the top of the engine casting just below the cylinder barrel. Such stamping or affixing shall be done under the supervision of a dealer, distributor or manufacturer registered under s. 341.51 or under the supervision of a peace officer. The person supervising the stamping or affixing shall make a report thereof to the department. The department shall establish forms to be provided to vehicle owners specifying the location, for various types of vehicles, where identification numbers assigned by the department shall be stamped or affixed.

You purchased the car while under the influence of mopar fever. it has happened to all of us. However, you can't get rid of it now. Your love for the car will supersede any logical thought. Fix it, and drive it.

The vin tag on the dash looks like it has original rivets while the fender tag looks to have phillips head screws. I think you said the VIN on the title matches the dash and in this part of the world that's all that matters in terms of legal possession. Never understood the reason for the door tag to be on the door rather than the door jamb - like the way it is with trucks.

My best guess here is once upon a time it was in an accident and somebody swapped at least the nose and one door from a donor. Doesn't explain the engine swap and now I'm wondering what the vin on the block is. I'd also take a closer look at the front stub frame.

As for the value of a numbers matching car, sure it's nice to have and preferable but with these cars it doesn't add a cent to the sale price. I mean it's tough enough to find a buyer in the first place and I'd only get bent about a swapped door and fender if it was an otherwise clean survivor.

Runs, drives, floor shift, t-tops and mostly complete for $800 doesn't sound like anything to complain about unless ya paid ask. I'd be bent about not getting the engine expected too but unless the quarters are rotted away, grab the wrenches and hunt down the parts ya need.

Thanks. State Patrol is going to do an inspection - they will determine which car it is. Worst case scenario is that they re-assign the VIN # and issue a bonded title (about $100) which brands the title for 5 years and then it is removed. They were really helpful to talk to and advised this is not a big deal. Just have to get a trooper down here to do the inspection and determine which car it is. I just want to be completely above board moving forward (not that I am planning on selling it anytime soon). Made me feel a lot better!!

Once you get everything squared away and good, build it your way and drive it like you stole it!

Thanks. State Patrol is going to do an inspection - they will determine which car it is. Worst case scenario is that they re-assign the VIN # and issue a bonded title (about $100) which brands the title for 5 years and then it is removed. They were really helpful to talk to and advised this is not a big deal. Just have to get a trooper down here to do the inspection and determine which car it is. I just want to be completely above board moving forward (not that I am planning on selling it anytime soon). Made me feel a lot better!!

KP1241: I like your Fury pic (your posting ID). Looks like my 71 Gran Coupe (see above posts on this subject on the 10th).

Auto Transport Service
Back