• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st of several rear end install novice questions

Do I put bearing grease or gear oil on the seal and axle when installing the axle?

I used bearing grease. It keeps the spring from springing off when knocking the new one in.

9EFB28A1-6967-49A4-87FA-87C53EDD4890.jpeg
822FD878-7283-4643-8274-FB1152D9CE82.jpeg
so I bought the wrong brake lines. What’s the best solution:
1. Send them back and get the right ones.
2. Shorten the pass line and make a new longer driver side line from scratch.
3. Plug the vent hole and drill and tap a new one in the right spot?
Note My 8 1/4 rear in the car has the vent over to the left attached to the flexible brake hose.

Or drill a new hole and cap the old one.....but that sucks!

I think that would make the hose too tight right?

If you're talking about the original 8 1/4 rear brake hose, the block might be closer where it's located on the 8 3/4. You need to let the rear hang as far down as it will go and see what it looks like. That's the farthest that the hose will need to reach. If it's short then maybe see if they're listed different for a 8 1/4 verses a 8 3/4. If its a used hose I'd definitely replace it.
20170807_154829.jpg

If you're talking about the original 8 1/4 rear brake hose, the block might be closer where it's located on the 8 3/4. You need to let the rear hang as far down as it will go and see what it looks like. That's the farthest that the hose will need to reach. If it's short then maybe see if they're listed different for a 8 1/4 verses a 8 3/4. If its a used hose I'd definitely replace it.
View attachment 895515
Wow that’s clean!!

DE006A02-6A03-4240-8BC6-CB64EA0EFA7F.jpeg
View attachment 895451 View attachment 895453 so I bought the wrong brake lines. What’s the best solution:
1. Send them back and get the right ones.
2. Shorten the pass line and make a new longer driver side line from scratch.
3. Plug the vent hole and drill and tap a new one in the right spot?
Note My 8 1/4 rear in the car has the vent over to the left attached to the flexible brake hose.
Decided to make my own.

Best way tubing bender and double flare tool make all the lines you will ever need. Have not bought pre made lines in 40+ yrs. right course

Auto Transport Service
Back