• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 pictures from 1968

Mike Gaines

Local time
6:51 PM
Reaction score
My Brand New Hemi Road Runner all ready to hit the track.

RoadRunner.JPG

My 1965 Altered Wheel Base B-Body. Here is a picture of my rear suspension system. Don't ask me about it. I can't really remember what it is. I do remember that I removed some of the leaves out of the spring pack, I had made some sort of square tube traction bar device and Air Shocks of all things ( I do remember that I ran different air pressure in each shock).
Whatever I did the car got traction...how could it not, with the back wheels moved 15" forward, the front tube axle moved 10" forward and the motor set back 26".
Those were the days....LOL 1965 Traction Bar.jpg

Road Runner looks awesome. Love the old school look.

Thanks for sharing Mike, love the ol' school pics!

That’s what I was thinking.

What class did you run, and what did it go?
Super Stock C Automatic ( SS/CA) if I remember correctly.
We had only run the car 5 or 6 weekends.
Car wasn't really that fast. We had the chassis setup done, Hooker Headers, 4.56 Dana but we had NOT yet gone thru the motor (It was, of course, a stock 426/425HP Street Hemi Motor). It ran hi elevens in this form.
We were getting ready to do the motor when the Chrysler Dealer (who gave us the car to race) went out of business.
The Bank who had the financing for the Dealers inventory (the dealer had this car on his floorplan) called us up and told us we had to bring the car back out to the dealer's lot so they could put it on the transport trucks as they were repossessing all of the dealers unsold cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back