• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wipers stuck in up position

kaj750

Local time
2:24 AM
Reaction score
I see some threads on this forum that are similar to my issue, but with probably a different cause.
I removed the gauge cluster to do some cleaning and restoring, when I put everything back together I turned the key to the on position and the wipers went to the upright position and are parked there.
What did I plug in wrong? I do remember one of the plugs on the back of the cluster could have gone on with two different orientations. Is it possible I have that plug flipped? I don't remember which switch it was for, off the top of my head. I don't think it was for the wipers, but apparently it's a possibility lol
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Please advise.

20240114_121735.jpg

Do they work at all? If so i suspect you have the crank arm on the motor off 180 degrees. 2 speed or 3 speed.

Do they work at all? If so i suspect you have the crank arm on the motor off 180 degrees. 2 speed or 3 speed.

I didn't touch the wiper motor. All I did was take out the cluster and put it right back in, within a few hours.
The wipers do not move when the switch is on.
This happened when I turned the key to the on position. I'm not sure how the electronics in the wipers work, but it's acting like it's getting constant power in the wrong direction.
2 spd.

I didn't touch the wiper motor. All I did was take out the cluster and put it right back in, within a few hours.
The wipers do not move when the switch is on.
This happened when I turned the key to the on position. I'm not sure how the electronics in the wipers work, but it's acting like it's getting constant power in the wrong direction.
2 spd.
Well if you did nothing else than you need to go back where you did do something. I do not recall the wiper switch having the option of plugging it on different ways.

100_1906.JPG

Well if you did nothing else than you need to go back where you did do something. I do not recall the wiper switch having the option of plugging it on different ways.

View attachment 1590851
Definitely not and definitely NOT on a 2 speed.

The reason your wipers don't work / park.... your cluster isn't currently grounded!!!!!! !!!!!

Run a jumper from the cluster to a body ground if you want to leave it hanging out like that and they'll work just fine!

View attachment 1590851

I don't think it does, but a different plug did. I'm finding this car has some weird electricals where some switches seem to affect others for no apparent reason
Seeing how all I did was unplug everything then plug it back in, it's obviously a switch issue. I was hoping someone here has gone through this already.
And I am, literally, where I did something. The cluster is half way out with my hands on it. Lol
But, unplugging everything then putting it back exactly how I have it now is obviously not gonna fix it, so I need to know what I hooked up wrong.
I guess I could pull it apart and throw it back together, doing it over and over until I get it right lol. That just doesn't seem like a great idea as brittle as everything in there is. I'm trying to only redo this once

The reason your wipers don't work / park.... your cluster isn't currently grounded!!!!!! !!!!!

Run a jumper from the cluster to a body ground if you want to leave it hanging out like that and they'll work just fine!

So I missed a ground somewhere? I don't see any plugs or wires that I missed. Or does it ground to the dash, once it bolted back in?
I guess that didn't occur to me since everything else works.

I was going by what he said. Everything was together.

when I put everything back together I turned the key to the on position and the wipers went to the upright position and are parked there.

I was stating the plug can't go two ways pnora!

Picture shows the cluster hanging out in his hand.... so it's not grounded. Scared the shat out of myself on the HP2 putting the dash in when the wipers did the exact same thing... until I snapped that ground jumper on to test everything!

I was stating the plug can't go two ways pnora!

Picture shows the cluster hanging out in his hand.... so it's not grounded. Scared the shat out of myself on the HP2 putting the dash in when the wipers did the exact same thing... until I snapped that ground jumper on to test everything!
Right. I agree on the photo just when he said it was all together I assumed back together as bolted in. From his last post it is not all together. One day I will just quit replying.

Right. I agree on the photo just when he said it was all together I assumed back together as bolted in. From his last post it is not all together. One day I will just quit replying.
Nah.. we'll never get that smart! LOL

So I missed a ground somewhere? I don't see any plugs or wires that I missed. Or does it ground to the dash, once it bolted back in?
I guess that didn't occur to me since everything else works.
NO, you didn't miss a ground. The cluster panel grounds once you screw it to the dash frame and the wiper switch uses said ground through it's mounting.

NO, you didn't miss a ground. The cluster panel grounds once you screw it to the dash frame and the wiper switch uses said ground through it's mounting.

Awesome. That is a huge relief, thank you. Soon as I read your reply, thinking about how the clusters made out of metal, it all started coming together.

Clip a jumper on it from cluster back to say the door switch housing or sill plate... all should work.
1966plysathp2pt9 009.jpg

Update:
Pulled cluster out. Found the flasher plug loose. Plugged back in. Removed/plugged in wiper plug.
Turned key. Wipers went back to normal spot and worked.
Re-installed cluster.
Wipers no longer work.
So....
I don't drive in the rain and the wipers back in the normal position, calling that a win for now.

I'm about "this" close to replacing the entire wiring harness.

Thanks to everybody for all your help.

Auto Transport Service
Back