• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 speed VS 3 speed wipers: Switches and wiring differences.

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:03 AM
Reaction score
I was messing around with my '70 Charger project car (Jigsaw) and noticed that it has a wiper switch with 3 detents in it. MY red '70 Charger is a 2 speed wiper car and the switch has 2 detents. I never had a car with 3 speed wipers before so this is a new one on me.
I have some 3 speed wiper motors in the stash so I might convert the red car to the 3 speed setup.
What are the wiring differences? Do both 2 and 3 speed units use the same linkage bits? Are there any unique parts to make this work?

XH dash 2.jpg

I was messing around with my '70 Charger project car (Jigsaw) and noticed that it has a wiper switch with 3 detents in it. MY red '70 Charger is a 2 speed wiper car and the switch has 2 detents. I never had a car with 3 speed wipers before so this is a new one on me.
I have some 3 speed wiper motors in the stash so I might convert the red car to the 3 speed setup.
What are the wiring differences? Do both 2 and 3 speed units use the same linkage bits? Are there any unique parts to make this work?

View attachment 913920

http://www.passion4mopars.com/blog.asp

all you need is the switch for three speed wipers i have done this before everything else will work if you have the motor

Great information. I have to change my 68 charger from 2 speed to 3 speed because I am going with a 6 pack. I have a 69 or 70 3 speed motor. I was thinking I needed a different wiring harness from the switch to the wiper motor. Thanks for clearing this up.

The 3-speed switch is the trick, there is alot going on inside the switch.
On Mikes car he build a custom dash and used a generic cole hersse 2-speed switch. The switch would be better described a a single pole, 3-position switch with the momentary push button for the washer fluid motor. Had to rig up some relays, a diode, and resistor to make that generic switch work with the 3-speed wiper motor.

Auto Transport Service
Back