• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

273/904 value?

Mark Barnes

Local time
9:14 PM
Reaction score
Pulled the original 273/904 out of my 67 Belvedere and replaced it with a 383/727. I would like to sell the small block and trans so I can buy more stuff for the car. Have absolutely no idea what a fair price may be, so I thought I'd ask. Motor was rebuilt by a shop in CA, (re-ring and hone, new cam/lifters, new pushrods, new bearings, crank polished, valve job). Previous owner fired it up, ran it at 1500-2000rpm for 20 min., shut it off and changed oil.
To my knowledge it has zero miles on it. I had the trans rebuilt by a member of this site when I found out it was slipping when I tried to drive it around the block.
So to my knowledge, the motor and trans have been around the block...exactly once since both have been rebuilt.
Ballpark price together, separate, or better to part out?

20210729_151111.jpg 20210729_145007.jpg

The problem here is the buyer can’t hear it or go drive it. And you didn’t want to drive it or keep it, is the a buyer for this in the days of 700 horsepower cars with a Warranty? Maybe an A body person for a small car. So optimistic value is $150-$200

$500 for the pair would be good. Ask more but you might own it for a long time. Too bad you can't guarantee exactly what was done to each. Both might be good as gold or they could be a risk to the buyer.

I have a 273 sitting in the shop floor, it was basically free. I paid 1K for all the car related things on a property that the people had been evicted. Made my money back and still have a truckload of things. @R413 is about right on the estimate.

$500 for the pair would be good. Ask more but you might own it for a long time. Too bad you can't guarantee exactly what was done to each. Both might be good as gold or they could be a risk to the buyer.
I know without a doubt the trans is good. I had it rebuilt a couple months ago and it has been tested, if only around the block. New stock converter too. Motor, not so much. PO had it done and provided an invoice listing all the work, and I saw it run/drove it without any issues, good oil pressure, no noises.

Last edited:
IMO....Your pixs are of a later model 318 with 273 inch engine valve covers. A '67 318 LA engine did not come with a Thermoquad carb, as shown in the pix. The choke well is likely for the Thermoquad carb. There appears to be an EGR port in the right side primary manifold runner. This was when Mopar used fixed EGR metering orifices rather than a diaphragm operated valve. Personally, I'd pass.....
BOB RENTON

IMO....Your pixs are of a later model 318 with 273 inch engine valve covers. A '67 318 LA engine did not come with a Thermoquad carb, as shown in the pix. The choke well is likely for the Thermoquad carb. There appears to be an EGR port in the right side primary manifold runner. This was when Mopar used fixed EGR metering orifices rather than a diaphragm operated valve. Personally, I'd pass.....
BOB RENTON
You are correct about the intake. That is supposedly an intake off a '70 340. I put it on there because I didn't like the way the 2 bbl. was running. Here's the 2bbl. intake/carb.that came with it.

20210729_144843.jpg 20210730_171129.jpg

BOB RENTON
You are correct about the intake. That is supposedly an intake off a '70 340. I put it on there because I didn't like the way the 2 bbl. was running. Here's the 2bbl. intake/carb.that came with it.

View attachment 1161578 View attachment 1161579
Look on the side of the block. The engine size is cast into it. Then you'll know if it's a 273 or a 318.

I sold my running 71 318 and 904 for $800 there are quite a few people looking for a motor trans combo around here for there 30s and 40s cars.

Newer intake, no biggie. But it’s not a 70 340 intake, no thermoquads in 1970.

The owner seems to know what size the engine is.

a 318 would be worth more , a 273 is really weak for torque and power

It could be a 318 as 67 was the first year for the 318.
Not really....1967 was the first year production of the LA 318. Prior to 1967, the 318 was a poly head engine. 1964 was first year production of the LA 272 engine, with a 2bbl. 1965 wss first year production of the LA 273/335 Hp Formula S and Dodge GTS engine package. 1968 was first year production of the 340/275 Hp engine.
BOB RENTON

Not really....1967 was the first year production of the LA 318. Prior to 1967, the 318 was a poly head engine. 1964 was first year production of the LA 273 engine, with a 2bbl. 1965 was first year production of the LA 273/235 Hp Formula S and Dodge Charger 273 engine package. 1968 was first year production of the 340/275 Hp engine.
BOB RENTON
Fixed, Lots of number issues and the Dodge Charger 273 package.

Last edited:
Take whatever you can get for it, even if it's only enough for a happy meal from DicMonald's..

Good running engine sell lots better than one sitting on the floor the seller knows little to nothing about. Trans probably worth more than the engine.
And all about supply and demand where you are.

Auto Transport Service
Back