• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

284/484 for stock 383

My suggestion....
Crower 271HDP, 222/[email protected] .486/.496 lift 112 center
It's a grind that runs well in a 383, enough to have a decent lope but not so much it knocks the bottom of the power curve out..

I have used that in my 383, with milled and mild ported 906 heads and the Flat top pistons with zero deck height. It is a decent cam, but I could have used a slightly higher stall converter than the stock converter.

I would use this cam, but it is milder. I think just slighty larger than the factory HP cam:
https://www.lunatipower.com/high-ef...-cam-lifter-kit-chrysler-361-440-265-277.html

If you are wanting to leave the valve springs alone the mp 272 .455 like posted or a comp cams 268ah10 has .464 lift (its comps factory replacement for a magnum cam with some modernization.
The crower and voodoo Imo are on the threshold of needing a valve spring upgrade with the exhaust lift they have.

Last edited:
If you are wanting to leave the valve springs alone the mp 272 .455 like posted or a comp cams 268ah10 has .464 lift (its comps factory replacement for a magnum cam with some modernization.
The crower and voodoo Imo are on the threshold of needing a valve spring upgrade with the exhaust lift they have.

For sure the Crower cam needs new valve springs!

To be clear, The Luniti cam I posted is not the voodoo series, it is the High Efficency series cam. 265/277 Advertised, 216/228 @ 0.050" duration, 112 LSA installed at 107 ICL, and 0.454"/0.480" lift.

I had the 284/484 in my old 440 with 906 heads. Only thing good about it was the sound. Performance was just about non existent. 2800 stall, 3.91 gear. Probaly needed a bigger stall. I’d never buy one again with the lobe designs that are available now.

Comp Cams has the Purple Plus Nostalgia. Series of the Purple Shaft grinds. These have modern advanced lobe design. The 284/484 has the same basic specs as the old Chrysler design, but they extended the exhaust duration from 284 to 291 to make it a split pattern profile. The new specs @ .050 are 239 in 246 ex 108 LSA .484 lift. It'll probably run great and it's a hell of a lot less cost from Summit. $232 cam/lifters. If anybody has run one let me know what you think. I purchased one, I just haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

That cam is old technology. Comp has far better grinds available.

The engine had 23,000 original miles. Came out of a wrecked charger. It was stored for 50 years. It was pulled apart re ringed and honed....The heads were cleaned up and the valves were reseated. Crank was polished and put all back together. That's all the info I have. It's all original down to the original date coded Carter AFB. I have not done a compression test. Like I said it runs good just want a little more rumble.
You need to to a compression test because; every bigger cam will reduce your cylinder pressure about 5 psi.
5psi at 4000tpm is hardly missed.
but 5psi at 2000/2200 your stall speed , is a big deal
and the lower your pressure, the softer your throttle response
If you are starting from 135psi, then 130 will be crap for power at 2200
If you are starting from 155psi, then you can afford the 5psi loss.

You say it runs "good", but that is totally without qualifiers. You have no baseline against which to measure "good". "good" is arbitrary, and very nearly meaningless to anyone but yourself .

Here is a number
Static compression ratio of 9.0:1.
Ica of 72*@4000 ft elevation

Effective stroke is 2.41 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 6.71:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is ......................... 109.24 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is ................................. 90
This shows your 9/1 engine at 4000 ft elevation, with the 284/484/114 cam installed 4* advanced. The thing I want you to notice is the VP of 90. At sealevel this is what a 225 slanty puts out, so from stall to about 3000 rpm, your 383 will perform like a 225 slanty.
Read about VP here; V/P Index Calculation
The first thing you are gonna need to do is get a 3000stall TC , and the second is 20 to 30 percent more rear gear.
Next ; notice the pressure is 109psi. Talk about a lazy throttle . The Third thing you are gonna do is replace that Mopar carb with a double pumper.
You want to do all this for a little rumpidee-rump in the exhaust?
Next consider the midrange power; 109psi is pretty weak. That's OK you said you didn't care about the power. That's good because in third gear there won't be any, and Second gear is gonna be sooooft .
So the Wallace Calculator predicted 109psi ,at 72*Ica, and 9/1 Scr,@4000 ft elevation. That means the current pressure might be 114 at most.
This is why you HAVE to do a compression test, to know what your starting point is.

That cam is gonna be doggy even at 10.5Scr...... because of your elevation
Here is the same engine at 10.5
Static compression ratio of 10.5:1.
Ica of 72* @4000 ft

Your dynamic compression ratio is 7.78:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 136.64 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 112

Notice the VP is still only 110, and a 318LA makes more than that.

Here it is at 12/1
Static compression ratio of 12:1.
Ica of 72*@4000ft

Your dynamic compression ratio is 8.85:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 164.89 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 135

This is the limit for pump gas and Tight-Q, and that spells a custom-engineered engine...... and the VP is still only 135............... Fun starts now but only because you have the pressure. Typically fun starts at 140VP.

The point is at 4000 ft elevation,you just can't throw a 284/484 into a low-compression engine, and expect "drives good".

If you install a big TC , then VP doesn't mean much, but
With a stock-type TC, the new reduced cylinder pressure will lower the stall even further,making take off sluggish. Furthermore, If you don't have the pressure you will be driving deeper into the throttle ALL the time to, to find enough power, to satisfy your driving needs. And the bottom line of that is ; the combo sucks gas.... bigtime.
At 4000 ft elevation there is no happy IMO, solution to your craving for rumpidee-rump.

Well maybe; this might be a good time to mention ThumpR or Whiplash

What AJ said, very good information.
That is why I recommended a pretty mild cam.
the Lunaiti cam, compared to the factory HP cam has just a bit more overlap because of the a narrower ICL (112 vs 115).
I think lift is only slightly more? I don't recall the factory lift numbers, but it should be OK with stock springs (may need shimmed, depends on pressure?)
The recommended installed position of 107 vs 113 will result with an intake closing point about the same or sooner than stock, so it should work well with lower compression ratios. The cam fits the daily driver with stock engine and drivetrain, but won't make the upper RPM power of the larger cams.

The larger cams do make power, but they do it by moving the torque up the RPM range.
Heck, a 292/0.509" cam would work if you change to a 4,000+ stall converter, 4.xx gears, and performance valve springs.

If you want rumble, just change the mufflers.

I want to thank everyone that has contributed to my post. It has been very educational...and that's why I'm here.

Going with the comp cams CL21-223-4.
Duration 268/280, Lift .477/.480, Mopar, Big Block, Kit. I'll let you all know.

FWIW I’d probably avoid the Comp, they are known for excessive valve train noise..look at the Lunati Voodoo 702

Oh, fwiw I have the Comp 268 in my 383, my 383 has 915 heads (small closed chamber) heads are milled .050 to take the chamber volume down to 73cc’s, steel shim head gasket... A true 9.6 measured C/R and even with good cylinder pressure I feel the Comp is a little soft down low... The Lunati comes in about 3-400 rpms lower..

Auto Transport Service
Back