• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3/8-16 woodgrain knob?

91r/t

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:37 PM
Reaction score
Ok all, looking to use a woodgrain knob in my 68 Roadrunner, but all the knobs use 3/8-24 fine thread and all the bolt in shifters that are offered for a non console car use a 3/8-16 course thread. Any way to adapt this or has anyone found a woodgrain shift ball that looks close to the original and uses the course threads? I don't really wanna use an original handle and drill it out but I guess that is the last resort. I have the pistol grip in it now but wanna switch out the handles and try something different in the car for awhile. Let me know your ideas or solutions. I am looking at these handles but no luck on threads to match the woodgrain ball offered by all the resto sources.

SH4078.jpg
SH7438.jpg

I’m in the process of turning a piece of walnut to make my own knob. I’ve got all the dimensions just had to make a few tools to be able to do a ball. I’m planning on using a threaded brass insert. If it all turns out good I was planning on making a few more to offer to folks. Not sure how big of a hurry your in though.

I’m in the process of turning a piece of walnut to make my own knob. I’ve got all the dimensions just had to make a few tools to be able to do a ball. I’m planning on using a threaded brass insert. If it all turns out good I was planning on making a few more to offer to folks. Not sure how big of a hurry your in though.

No hurry at all. Post what you come up with on here and we can go from there. I was def hoping to have an original type look but I am open to suggestions on it all.

No hurry at all. Post what you come up with on here and we can go from there. I was def hoping to have an original type look but I am open to suggestions on it all.[/QUOTE I’m definitely shooting for them to look original. I’ll keep you posted

Drill and helicoil was gonna be my suggestion.

Drill the knob and heli-coil it ?

Alan

That's actually a hell of an idea. I got the stuff at work to do it if need be. The major diameter of the 3/8-24 thread is .375 and the drill size for the 3/8-16 helicoil insert is .390 so that would work for sure.

Last edited:
I don't think you even need to go to all that trouble.

I bought a $5 knob at a swap meet to practice on and simply re-threaded it with a factory self cutting bolt.
I'm sure a tap would do better.

Works fine and the knob is actually still in use.

IIRC the threaded inset was brass, so that made it real easy.

Auto Transport Service
Back