• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 Cylinders Right bank misfire

Rice154

Local time
5:57 AM
Reaction score
Working on a 73 charger/340 4bbl. Noticed it started dogging on me, found cylinders 2,4,6 not firing. Compression showed 150 when cranking. I believe the issue lies in electrical, however I've replaced plugs, wires, dist. rotor and cap, and replaced the ignition for good measure. No avail. Any suggestions?

These guys are good..... that would explain it for sure (intake leak). I would have thought ignition too. Along those lines, you could also check for a carburetor leak or an internal carburetor problem on one side of the carb. If it were me though, I'd re-seal the intake first.

Now that I think of it. How did you KNOW those three cylinders weren't firing? Pull the plug wires and no change in idle? How did 2/4/6 plugs look when you pulled them?

wouldn't surprise me if the OP finds intake bolts that are loose, or at least "not tight"

Check all of the vacuum lines first, brake booster line and booster too if you have one.

These guys are good..... that would explain it for sure (intake leak). I would have thought ignition too. Along those lines, you could also check for a carburetor leak or an internal carburetor problem on one side of the carb. If it were me though, I'd re-seal the intake first.

Now that I think of it. How did you KNOW those three cylinders weren't firing? Pull the plug wires and no change in idle? How did 2/4/6 plugs look when you pulled them?
Exactly that. Started pulling plugs and isolated those three cylinders. Plugs showed use but still in great shape.

Yeah, as all these guys are saying, look for a vacuum leak first on that side. If you're careful, you can spray carburetor cleaner around any possible vacuum leak locations & when the idle goes up & engine smooths out for a couple seconds, you've found the leak. My son (professional mechanic) showed me that trick, but watch out because the carb cleaner is flammable!

Vacuum leak from a faulty intake manifold gasket. New gaskets and it's running like a charm! Thanks for the direction!!

Auto Transport Service
Back