• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 speed wiper problems

Texas charger 73

Local time
4:58 AM
Reaction score
I habe a 73 dodge charger. It has 3 speed wiper motor. When I bench test the wiper motor by jumping wires everything works perfect. All 3 speeds and park.. When I try to go through the switch I get one speed and no park. Wipers just stop where they are when I turn off. I have tried to take apart switch and clean with no change. Anyone have any insight or possibly same problem before?

Check the wires at the bulkhead connector.

Car has a complete brand new American autowire harness bumper to bumper.

I have a similar problem with wiper. 67 coronet RT with variable speed wipers. After years of having the wrong motor on there a noted mopar man T---- sold me a motor that was operational. Well gues not. I had to find a guy to rebuild it, and now the wiper only goes to 12 oclock and not all the way to the left. Help

Got a good ground ??

Did you actually get the switch apart? Did you get it back together with all the small springs and contacts in place?

Its often assumed things get grounded through assembly but its not uncommon that a restored item that's had a coat or two of paint no longer forms a ground when its screwed back into place. Remember, a ground needs bare metal continuity. A switch screwed to a bezel screwed to the dash frame bolted to the body ... I'd be checking the ground at the switch on a fresh resto. This may not apply to the OP but its worth mentioning.

So. I ran a seperate ground and still all the same. One speed and still won't park.. Now if I bench test motor it will park and all. Speeds are good

You mentioned you have a new harness. Are all the wires hooked up correctly? I have heard of new harnesses not configured correctly. You didn't change out the switch did you? it sounds like the switch or wiring has to be the problem if not a bad ground.

I have tried two different switches, both externally grounded both act the same. Wires are all correct. I checked and checked.

I saw the pic of the wiper motor, what about a pic of the wiper switch? Or the # on it?

I saw the pic of the wiper motor, what about a pic of the wiper switch? Or the # on it?
It's a 3 speed switch.. It almost looks like the harness connects both red and green to F1 and F 2 is left empty. Switch number is 3488766.

received_586031583284284.jpeg
received_1289443084956603.jpeg

You will see letters on the back of the switch.

These are the factory harness colors, don't know how they match up to yours

A - Brown
B - Pink on original harness (Ignition On Power)
F2- Green
F1 - Red
P - Blue
W - Also brown

The picture they have is a 70-71 switch

Last edited:
You will see letters on the back of the switch.

These are the factory harness colors, don't know how they match up to yours

A - Brown
B - Pink on original harness (Ignition On Power)
F2- Green
F1 - Red
P - Blue
W - Also brown

The picture they have is a 70-71 switch
My bad. Here is the correct picture.
received_444361224569971.jpeg

If you have it attached correctly (pay attention to the 2 browns) then it is time to unplug the bulkhead connector in the interior and verify that the wires are in fact going to the right opening, and they coincide with the same color wires on the engine side. Never assume. I purchased a new dash harness a few years ago and 1 of the wires at the bulkhead had never been stripped of insulation before being crimped.

Happy hunting

If you have it attached correctly (pay attention to the 2 browns) then it is time to unplug the bulkhead connector in the interior and verify that the wires are in fact going to the right opening, and they coincide with the same color wires on the engine side. Never assume. I purchased a new dash harness a few years ago and 1 of the wires at the bulkhead had never been stripped of insulation before being crimped.

Happy hunting
It has been fixed. A blade on the engine side of the american autowire bulkhead had bent over just enough to not make contact.

Auto Transport Service
Back