• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 Speed Wiper Switch with 2 Speed Wiper motor

Nachtfalke

Local time
10:45 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
i currently have the instrument cluster disassembled for refreshing and decided to look into an issue with the wiper switch i have had for years. The Wiper speeds are inverted, off is off, low is high, mid setting is high too, and high is low. The car still has the original 2-speed wiper motor, but the previous owner put a 3-speed wiper switch in when he replaced the wiring harness. Could that be the issue? Or is it something i can fix by swapping the wires on the wiper switch? The car is a 69 Dodge Charger

- Stephan

The connectors for the switches are the same for both two and three speed EXCEPT three speed has an extra terminal and connector on the side. The wiring into the terminals is the same for both switches. You might be better of switching the wires at the bulkhead connector in the engine compartment OR on the wiper motor. It should be a simple fix - the low speed wire goes through the balast resistor on the wiper motor - swap that wire with the high speed one out of the 4-wire connector. This would be a lot easier than working under the dash !!

Keep it simple. You need a 2 speed switch.

He's in Germany, how easy do you think a 2-speed switch will be to find. Switching wires in the connectors is the fast and easy way !!

He's in Germany, how easy do you think a 2-speed switch will be to find. Switching wires in the connectors is the fast and easy way !!
That would be up to him. He has the cluster out now. I prefer to do it right and not make a bastard child out of it.

I’m converting to a 3 speed and need the 3 speed switch. I’ll trade you my 2 speed switch

The guy above has it right - swap it out and you’re both good to go. I would have also said get a two speed but this deal is no lose.

69 road runner
I believe there is a difference in the switches between the Charger and RR. The switches themselves "may" be the same but the rocker is definitely different. The Charger will have a matte finish whereas the RR rocker is bright chrome. I think the Charger rocker also has an appendage hanging off of it (although that could be the headlight switch). Either way, you guys should check what you have with photos before sending parts between the U.S. and Germany !!

And just so you know, the rockers are NOT interchangeable between the two and three speed switches - ask me how I know !!

I believe there is a difference in the switches between the Charger and RR. The switches themselves "may" be the same but the rocker is definitely different. The Charger will have a matte finish whereas the RR rocker is bright chrome. I think the Charger rocker also has an appendage hanging off of it (although that could be the headlight switch). Either way, you guys should check what you have with photos before sending parts between the U.S. and Germany !!

And just so you know, the rockers are NOT interchangeable between the two and three speed switches - ask me how I know !!
I think in 70 they had the satin finish and 68-69 were chrome.

Auto Transport Service
Back