• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

305s?

Chargered

Local time
2:24 AM
Reaction score
I've been wanting new wheels and tires for about 8 years and finally have the money to make the purchase (wife and kids always seem to come first).

I'm considering MT 305/45/17s for my 70 Charger. My question is, has anyone fit 305s under a 68-70 Charger? I see plenty of people who are using 295s but just wondering if there is anyone out there who has tried 305s? Looks like they should work, its only an extra 10mm added on to a 295. Basically as wide as a 28/12/15 if anyone happens to be running those. The 28/12/15 would be another option.

I don't have a Charger but rather a Super Bee. Also 305/40/18. They fit fine. I will attach a picture when I get home.

I know a guy who ran that size on a 69 road runner. With the perfect backspace, it's possible.

Thanks guys, I was hoping that was the answer. Nitto also has a 325/50/r15. Do you think that I would start running into problems with 325s? I know I'm pushing the boundaries here.

Just seems like there is a ton of room in there on the 68-70 Chargers. I have 255s back there now and a good 1.5 inches to spare on the inside and a good 2.5 inches to spare on the outside. So theoretically an additional 70mm should fit, but not sure if I would get rubbing with body roll.

Last edited:
Something else to consider is the inner wheel well has a hump/indentation on the outboard side that causes problems when you have compression.

There is a great thread on DC.com about tire sizes and people have tried all different combinations of wheel/tire/backspace, you may find what you need there.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,63191.0.html

Something else to consider is the inner wheel well has a hump/indentation on the outboard side that causes problems when you have compression.

There is a great thread on DC.com about tire sizes and people have tried all different combinations of wheel/tire/backspace, you may find what you need there.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,63191.0.html
Thank you. I noticed the hump you are referring to and had concerns about that. I'll take a look at that thread. Thanks!

Thank you. I noticed the hump you are referring to and had concerns about that. I'll take a look at that thread. Thanks!
Here is a picture of those obstructions:
Wheel tub 1.JPG
Wheel tub 2.JPG

The problem that they present is that the quarter panel gives you the impression that you can run a tire out the the wheelwell edge. You can't do that and have adequate clearance if the car is stock height or lowered. The wheel tub does not match the contour of the quarter panel. I like a car with a wide stance and a lowered look.

8100 B.jpg

This car has a 295-45-18 in the back on 18x10 wheels with 4.75 back spacing.
R T 1.jpg

Even these tires rub that wheel tub spot. I could actually go with about 3/4" less back spacing, pushing the wheel out wider if it weren't for the wheel tub. I have another Charger that I am going to practice on modifying the wheel tub to fit a wider tire. If I can get it right by welding the patches in without damaging the ugly paint in that car, I'll feel confident to do it to this one. I've thought of cutting and patching the wheel tubs in this red car using a panel bonding adhesive but I haven't followed through on that. I prefer the idea of welding.

Auto Transport Service
Back