• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 bored 30 over what cam?

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:19 PM
Reaction score
First small block and its for the 70 charger. Original engine just want a cruiser. Looking for suggestions on a cam. Engine is 30 over going with duel exhaust and 4 barrel. Would like low and mid response. thanks for any help.

stock small valve heads

Thousands of choices. The bigger you go the more equipment you will need to change to make it work.

Isky 262 Supercam.

If you do not want lobe/lifter failure, have your old lifters re-faced.....

Is anything wrong with the existing cam? Use it if not. The quest for more power is only limited by finances/will to spend!
Mike

In no particular order because you'll do all of this at the same time
1) Gut-busting cast iron 340 spread-bore intake.
2) Around 600 cfm carb for the above.
3) Stock 340 camshaft and new lifters. Use a degree wheel; and a TDC tool that you'll screw into cylinder #1 spark plug hole. Get some offset keys to adjust camshaft as needed/desired.
4) Double roller timing chain/gear set
5) thin steel head gasket
6) lightweight mechanical advance spring
7) 2-1/4" OD exhaust system the entire way.

I used some sort of turbo flow muffler back in the 1970's. The drone is still rattling around inside my (empty) head. Have an H-pipe added to your dual exhaust. BTW, the old muffler catalogs used to show a 2-1/4" inlet and outlet for Plymouth Fury I with 440 CID engine. That's what I used. I don't recall the positions of the inlet/outlet on the muffler body.

3) Stock 340 camshaft and new lifters. Use a degree wheel; and a TDC tool that you'll screw into cylinder #1 spark plug hole. Get some offset keys to adjust camshaft as needed/desired.

I used some sort of turbo flow muffler back in the 1970's. The drone is still rattling around inside my (empty) head. Have an H-pipe added to your dual exhaust. BTW, the old muffler catalogs used to show a 2-1/4" inlet and outlet for Plymouth Fury I with 440 CID engine. That's what I used. I don't recall the positions of the inlet/outlet on the muffler body.
Dang, I wish they still made the OEM steel shim head gaskets for the small block.

Dang, I wish they still made the OEM steel shim head gaskets for the small block.
Call AMS Obsolete in Fairmont, Georgia. They are closed on weekends. You could send them an email now, but you'll need to follow-up with a telephone call. They don't have many employees.

Also, try Len Dawson in Anacortes, Washington State.

A great recommendation ! similar to what we used to do to 318's ( mine included ) back in the day. You'd be surprised how well a 340 with just a few less cubic inches can run. I toasted a small-block Vette who thought I had at least a 383... I popped the hood after the run since he didn't believe me... he walked back to his car without a word, lol !

On my last 318 In my 76 Feather Duster

Stock long block
small Summit Cam
Weiand Action Plus, A factory TQ intake would work too.
Thermoquad
340 exhaust manifolds, 2-1/4 duals
Double roller timing chain

Was a little screamer, 4-speed and 3.55's helped a lot.

Engine.jpg

If stock converter, and less than 9:1 compression I would just use the small duration Hughes cam HUG SEH0610AL-13.
The dual exhaust and 4-bbl alone will wake up a 318 with a stock cam.
The hughes cam has more area under the lift profile. It lifts the valve faster and higher, but not much increase in seat to seat duration, so smooth idle and low mid range power.
The whip-lash cam is when you want the rough idle quality/sound, and they recommend 3.55:1 gears and a mild stall converter.

dont want to change stall converter but will changer the rear gears.

Auto Transport Service
Back