• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 carb to replace or upgrade

o1gnah

Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
Good day. I will be in need of a new carburetor for my 73’ 318 soonish as I attempt to rebuild and realized it’s done for. So the question I have is should I keep the original(In photo) or ask what you guys suggest as an upgrade. I’d prefer a direct bolt on without changing linkage and keep it simple. I am running the stock manifold, stock head, and short block w/ upgraded cam and high compression pistons.

IMG_5731.jpeg

If you buy it, keep your fingers crossed. With a upgraded cam and compression I would go 4 barrel intake and carb.

If you buy it, keep your fingers crossed. With a upgraded cam and compression I would go 4 barrel intake and carb.
Ok, im coming across the Edelbrock 1400 and 1405 600 cfm. Now what is the manual vs. electric choke?

Ok, im coming across the Edelbrock 1400 and 1405 600 cfm. Now what is the manual vs. electric choke?
I like the electric choke myself. One wire hook up to a switched power source.manual choke you will have to operate from the driver's seat via a cable.

Ok, if you're considering a switch to 4-bbl, you're opening up a whole 'nother discussion.

Good day. I will be in need of a new carburetor for my 73’ 318 soonish as I attempt to rebuild and realized it’s done for. So the question I have is should I keep the original(In photo) or ask what you guys suggest as an upgrade. I’d prefer a direct bolt on without changing linkage and keep it simple. I am running the stock manifold, stock head, and short block w/ upgraded cam and high compression pistons.

View attachment 1549585
Just be aware that the 318 cubic inch engines used a 1-1/4" Carter BBD Carb. And the 361 & 383 inch engines used a 1-1/2" Carter BBD Carb. The difference is the mounting flange bolt spacing and the throttle plate size. The 1-1/4" BBD carb has 1-7/16" throttle bores and the 1-1/2" BBD carb has 1-9/16" throttle bores.......the two sizes DO NOT INTERCHANGE......be sure what you are buying....
BOB RENTON

If you use the Edel carb [ excellent choice if you want to use a 4 bbl ], be aware that the manual choke versions are calibrated richer than the elec choke models.

Auto Transport Service
Back