• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 conneting rod

MADCIMA

Local time
5:52 AM
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm looking for the connecting rod assembly order of a 318 small block where can I find it? videos or suggestions are welcome
Thank you

IMG_2159.JPG

Huh? I don't understand what you are asking. There is no order. Install one and turn the crank as needed to install the next.

I’m with Mike, you mark them when you take them apart and reassemble by those marks

Factory service manual. FSM.

Unfortunately I haven't marked them... I have three manuals and no one talks about them

Most all Mopar engines were factory stamped when built. Ensure the oil squirt hole faces the camshaft with the pistons installed correctly. A identification mark on the piston top indicates the front of the engine.

Mike

Most all Mopar engines were factory stamped when built. Ensure the oil squirt hole faces the camshaft with the pistons installed correctly. A identification mark on the piston top indicates the front of the engine.

Mike
what do you mean oil drain hole towards the camshaft?

The connecting rods and their caps are matched pairs. You need to make sure they are not mixed up.

Check near the cap to main rod body parting line carefully for the pair ID marks. I've never seen factory rods without some sort of pair marks.

Also notice that the rod bore has larger chamfers on the side that goes toward the crank throw as opposed to the rod sides that go against each other in the middle of the crank throw.

And as mentioned the slots for cam oiling on the rod parting lines and the little notches on the tops of pistons, and sometimes indicators on bottom side of some pistons indicating assembly toward the front of the block.

Pass side (fr to back) 2,4,6,8, Dr side 1,3,5,7. Bearing lock tangs & #'s go towards the oil pan rail (outside), and wide big end chamfer go to the crankshaft fillet. The piston will have a notch/dot/"F" on the piston which goes to the front of the engine. If you put the rods on the wrong side, you will find out on rod #5 because the adjacent rod will push the other rod (on the same crankpin) into the crank fillet and lock up the crank. Hope this helps...

All connecting rods are finish honed to size. Use a magnifying glass to line up the hone marks on the cap and rod. When you get the right cap on the rod it will be obvious.

I punti che ho segnato in rosso del passaggio olio sono in questa posizione?

IMG_20240111_093305.jpg

IMG_20240111_093256.jpg

Are the points I marked in red of the oil passage in this position?

Are the points I marked in red of the oil passage in this position?
They don't look like it. I would need to see that crank in person. Itdoesn't look too swell. This whole thing looks like an accident waiting to happen.

the crank still needs treatment, now I'm assembling the sequence of connecting rods on the pistons

The crank looks like burnt toast. And the rods should be resized as well, they can figure out what went where, and mark them.

So for clarity, you put tape on the crank journals to somewhat protect them?
As for the rod oil holes, your red dots are likely the oil holes, but at least one of the rods would have to be installed the other way so that both oil holes point to the center where the cam is located. Take a look at the big rod bore and notice the larger radius that will go toward the outer sides of the crank throw.

You would be advised to obtain a Chrysler factory manual for your car. It will clarify much of these mysteries, in addition, you likely have a local auto machine shop that could help with some advice even if they typically service Fiats and Maseratis.

I put the adhesive tape, because the shaft will have to be sandblasted and polished, in the meantime I prepared the sequence of pistons attached to the connecting rods, I have a Chrysler manual, but I haven't seen this thing about the connecting rod holes

Auto Transport Service
Back