• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 front seal installation

adam83

Local time
7:27 PM
Reaction score
I have the timing cover off and cleaned, I have the old front crank seal removed, but Im having a hell of a time getting the new seal to seat properly. The walls are thin and banging on it with wood and hammer are collapsing them. I cant get it to seat evenly. tips?

if it is really tight,try to find a socket or other peice of round metal so you can install it evenly.if all else fails use a dull flat edge chisle and tap around the edges slowly until it seats in.make sure you dont touch the rubber lip.you might try a touch of sanding with 800 grit paper on the cover.

it took me two tries to get mine to seal when i did it..i did like 67 said and used a socket..worked good and sealed right up..

I put a piece of wood over the seal, but it bent the metal a bit so I stopped. I took the cover to a buddy. He said the newer seals are made in mexico and the diameter is a bit bigger than the oem parts so they are a bit tougher to get in. He put a 1/2" thick piece of metal (just a little larger than the seal) over the the seal, and it went in the hole with 3 or 4 hits from a large hammer. I think I just wasnt following through with my hits when I was doing it cuz I psych'd myself out.

Auto Transport Service
Back