• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 Mods, looking for suggestions

Front and rear anti-roll bars for the suspension would be a nice update.

Well, at the end of the day, this is not a cheap hobby. We would all like for everything to be finished yesterday and cost us nothing but that is not reality.

You don’t think the engine has ever been apart but it has later heads and exhaust manifolds? Obviously something changed over the years. If the bottom end is untouched from 1971 it really should get torn down and inspected, and at the very least get new rings, bearings and seals. The heads sound like they need work and that should include new springs to match whatever cam you choose. Do a compression test and go from there.

You have mismatched parts that you won or were given to you, so trade or sell them for what you actually need. Most of us have figured that trick out a long time ago.

Lastly, you should plan to spend a couple bucks on swapping gears for the rear. In fact, you might even want to start there before opening up the motor. 8 1/4s were used in Jeeps in the 80s/90s and the carriers interchange up to like 1996 or 1997 - many good threads on this at FABO and you must have Jeeps in Canada, eh?

Well, at the end of the day, this is not a cheap hobby. We would all like for everything to be finished yesterday and cost us nothing but that is not reality.

You don’t think the engine has ever been apart but it has later heads and exhaust manifolds? Obviously something changed over the years. If the bottom end is untouched from 1971 it really should get torn down and inspected, and at the very least get new rings, bearings and seals. The heads sound like they need work and that should include new springs to match whatever cam you choose. Do a compression test and go from there.

You have mismatched parts that you won or were given to you, so trade or sell them for what you actually need. Most of us have figured that trick out a long time ago.

Lastly, you should plan to spend a couple bucks on swapping gears for the rear. In fact, you might even want to start there before opening up the motor. 8 1/4s were used in Jeeps in the 80s/90s and the carriers interchange up to like 1996 or 1997 - many good threads on this at FABO and you must have Jeeps in Canada, eh?
Exactly. Swap out a 2.76 for a 3.55 or better and you have an instant tire burner. Even with your 2 barrel 318.

ok, a bit more info. All of these items except the HEI Distributor were given to me, so they owe me nothing. The Holley was won in a raffle, it is brand new. I'd like to get a bit of a power boost. I'm not looking to Race, I ain't got the time or the money. This car is my summer driver, and sunday night family cruiser. It has 8 & 1/4 diff. I don't have a lot of money to spend at this point, especially with me being in Canada, the exchange rate hurts as much as the shipping. However, I am willing to save. The car has 55,000 original miles. I don't believe the engine has ever been apart. I had the transmission rebuilt at about 44,000 miles because second gear was slipping. Put in a Mild shift kit at that time. The rear tires are 255-60-15 the fronts are 225 x 70 x 15 if that makes a difference. I have Hi-Jackers installed. The car has the A/C components, but it is not functional at this time. The car originally came from San Antonio Texas, and it is solid. I think it was owned by a little old lady, because I keep finding hair pins. Car is a 3 speed automatic, (904). Replaced the rear Leaf springs 2 years ago as well.

Trying to find used Mopar parts in my neck of the woods is like finding a needle in a hay stack. Nobody lets anything go, and if they do, they want top dollar. Basically I like the small block for the weight savings, the gas mileage is decent, but it's all show an no go. I don't have a big garage at this time either, so until I sell the house and move to the country, I need to pick a job, and get it done on the weekend, or I risk the possibility of it sitting indefinitely. I think I'ma little ADHD. I can lose interest pretty quick which is another reason I'm not looking at a 383 or 440 to put in.
Very nice car. This is what I would do, FWIW...

Use the HEI from Skip, the QJ on top of the OE intake and get a cam a good step up from stock that can still work with the stock converter. (Under 220@050)
Your gear ratio, tire size and cars weight are super useful in cam selection. Also! Do you have lower brakes?

Sell the other parts to fund the cam.
Find the list number for the Holley (on the air horn) and use it in the for sale ad.

That is a fine looking car you have there! Given your situation I would be driving it, driving it, and driving it some more!!!
Thank you. I have put 13 k on it since I bought it 8 years ago. This year I've already put on 1k since May 15th when I pulled her out of storage.

You don’t think the engine has ever been apart but it has later heads and exhaust manifolds? Obviously something changed over the years.

You mis-read something somewhere. I have a second 318 with later heads and exhaust manifolds. My car is all original.

If the bottom end is untouched from 1971 it really should get torn down and inspected, and at the very least get new rings, bearings and seals. The heads sound like they need work and that should include new springs to match whatever cam you choose.
That is something I am considering, however as mentioned previously, I don't have the room to do it myself at this time, nor the $ to pay someone else to do it. I'm just looking for advice on what to do so I can have a plan going forward.

Not to be rude, but again that is what I want to do, looking for advice on what to part with and what to keep for a mild street build.

This is something that I am questioning. I haven't worked with gears since highschool and I'm a little fuzzy. I'd like to upgrade, is there a resource that can help me identify what I'm looking for?

Thank you. All for your responses.

you have lower brakes?

??? Not sure what you mean.

They are drum all around, but I'm always looking for a front disc set up. Unfortunately where I live all the junkyards are picked clean for most vintage stuff. There are estimates that we have more vintage cars percapita than any other major city in North America. I think it is because of our long winters. Most gearheads have a project or two to work on during the cold snowy days/nights.

??? Not sure what you mean.

They are drum all around, but I'm always looking for a front disc set up. Unfortunately where I live all the junkyards are picked clean for most vintage stuff. There are estimates that we have more vintage cars percapita than any other major city in North America. I think it is because of our long winters. Most gearheads have a project or two to work on during the cold snowy days/nights.

It was a fat finger issue that should have read;

"Do you have POWER brakes?"
:thumbsup:

LoL. No. I'm thinking of getting set up for it though
Then the tighter the centerline (AKA - A lower number, 110-108-106) reduces vacuum making power brakes harder to operate as intended via the OEM.

Blue smoke on startup, I'd look at the valve seals first not necessarily the seats. Pull the valve covers and look for pieces of seal. They can be fixed with an on head spring compressor and an air fitting for the plug hole.

But which set up is best? Recommendations are always appreciated.
All current aftermarket set ups are all very close to each other. Hotchkin’s has a very nice set up. You might also look into ADDCO. Just get both bars from the same manufacturer. Install them together.

I recently installed a set of Firm Feel anti-roll (sway) bars on my car. The installation was a smooth process. The only issue I ran into was that I needed to move the fuel line a bit to clear the mount for the rear bar. One advantage of the Firm Feel rear bar over some of the others is that it mounts to the frame rather than on the rear end. This reduces the unsprung weight of the car which is good for handling, although the effect is fairly small with a 10 lb bar and a 300 lb rear end. As mentioned in post #34, install both ends of the car at once to avoid balance (understeer, oversteer) issues. Cheers!

Auto Transport Service
Back