• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 out, 440 in, what needs changing?

Aussie Coronet

Local time
12:04 AM
Reaction score
Looks like I may have found myself a 440 though still waiting on casting numbers but it appears to be a late block. My question is, what will I need to change from a factory 318 car (69 Coronet) to incorporate the 440? I have been told that a change of the torsion bars is in order, no doubt the engine mounts will also be different. I'll be getting a 727 as well so transmission mount/crossmember will need to get sorted.

Anyone that's undertaken a similar transplant that has any advice on what they did (or in hindsight, should have done), please let me know.

Hopefully, this will shut up my brother who just bought himself a Buick GSX...the prick should consider himself lucky I even talk to him!:black_eye:

You will need the BB engine mount brackets, If you need them PM me. T bars for a driver ya maybe, but lighter 318 t bars work good for the track. Bars can changed down the line when you want or need to. Tranny cross member is the same for all auto tranny's. You will need a shorter drive shaft for a 727 if you now have a 904. If you are running P.S. or a/c you will need the proper parts there also. Other than that the only thing I can think of is you will need to make your coil lead longer. This is really a very east sawp.

rrunner is rite :) but you will also need to add length to the distributor wires.

Thanks blokes, I really appreciate the info. I was hoping it would be painless as I have no experience with anything MOPAR, all my previous work has involved 351 Clevelands into and out of Falcons.

RRUNNER, i will take you up on those mounts and drop you a line soon. Cheers!

May not need a radiator depending on what W.P. housing the BB has on it.

Auto Transport Service
Back