• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

323s to 2.76s

wagonman

Local time
5:07 PM
Reaction score
Been wanting to do this for a while. Man what a change like a new car. The 440 still has enough nuts to get a little sideways from a stop. 80 MPH @ 2200 is what I wanted though. Also leaned out the Holley 3310 from 72s to 70s and aPV from 6.5 to a 4.5. Now I can mess with the Imports on i-10. Less wear and tear and the MPG should improve. I can still go leaner on the Jets till I feel a surge. Like the Cop in Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry said, My top end is Unlimited. STOKED..

IMG_1324.JPG

My '67 w a 383 2bbl had those originally. It even got sideways w an automatic. Thinking about going back eventually. Currently 496" w 670tq at the crank. Should be able to turn them easily.

Yeah, I want to go this route too since I do live along major highways/freeways. Would be nicer than the 323's i have.
Exactly why I did it, I have the Duster to go Quick but I want to go Fast. Traffic Between Phoenix and El Paso is 85-90. Then when you get in Texas its Katy bar the Door. Hot Shot guys towing big trailers are @ 80 easy. I hated gettin passed by a Prius.

This thread made me smile.
It is a funny thing that so often, we swap in the 3.55s, the 3.91s all in the interest of rapid acceleration, then are annoyed at the high rpms at cruising speeds. We hesitate to go back to taller gears because we don't want to lost that snap we get off the line.
All along, the majority of these cars were fitted with 2.76 or 2.94 gears when they were new. Owners drove these cars everywhere. Rural roads, Interstates, 25 mph residential zones, etc.
It's as if the factory engineers knew what they were doing.
For those that don't want the complexity or expense of installing an overdrive transmission, the tall "freeway gears" is the answer for those that intend to drive their cars for any extended periods on the freeway.

Funny, I always thought the 3.23 gears were a little low. My road runner seemed to cruise along just fine at 100 mph, I didn't think it was revving too high at all.

Funny, I always thought the 3.23 gears were a little low. My road runner seemed to cruise along just fine at 100 mph, I didn't think it was revving too high at all.

I assume you mean 100km/h? I figured the 3.23's would be decent for highway cruising. I remember having 3.55's in my old Demon. Maybe the small block felt different. Now at 80km/h i'm about 2300/2400rpm, which is fine, but you get up to 100km/h and its pushing 3000. It just seems high & everyone is still flying by.

I assume you mean 100km/h? I figured the 3.23's would be decent for highway cruising. I remember having 3.55's in my old Demon. Maybe the small block felt different. Now at 80km/h i'm about 2300/2400rpm, which is fine, but you get up to 100km/h and its pushing 3000. It just seems high & everyone is still flying by.
No, in wide open prairie driving, back in the day it was 100 mph.

Yeah, installed a '65 rear + sure-grip 3:23 in my '63...then get talked into 3:55's after rebuilding the motor. Error...boner...mistake...

Yeah, installed a '65 rear + sure-grip 3:23 in my '63...then get talked into 3:55's after rebuilding the motor. Error...boner...mistake...
I hear ya man. 323s are a good all around gear and I drove with them all over. Just dont like screaming at 3800 all day long. Down the road a bit here is like 90 miles. 80 MPH at 2200 is more like it.

I am always interested in improving driveability. Do you have an overdrive transmission installed in your vehicle?

I am always interested in improving driveability. Do you have an overdrive transmission installed in your vehicle?
I was thinking about a TKO but to convert from auto is about 5-6 grand. I had a 741 case and one of the members here gifted me the gears. Just had to buy a bearing kit from Dr.Diff. 2.76 is about the same as the 0.68 OD trans. Happy Camper here.

I have 29" diam. tires, 2.76 rear and 904 trans and I'm at 2500 rpm @ 75 mph in my 68 Coronet Wagon. My next step is an A518 which should get me to 1800 rpm @ 75mph. This may be too low so I have a set of 3.23 standing by. I moved to Fl about 3 yrs ago. Yes LI is an expensive place to live. Interestingly, I moved from Nassau County LI to Nassau County Fl.

So was the town I live in until all of you moved here..... 1100 people a day move to florida.. Gridlock everywhere
You guys should make some more fake islands like Miami Beach...

Auto Transport Service
Back