• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 and 440 cranks

BlessedB

Local time
2:53 PM
Reaction score
Hi there, somewhere in my travels I acquired a couple of Mopar cranks in "Mopar" boxes. The 383 crank is stock and still in cosmoline. The 440 crank is very trick,lightened and shaved almost sharp,to spin more freely I suppose.
I am wondering if someone could shed some light on the 440 crank. Can I use this thing in a street engine? If so, what other mods would I have to do to the engine to accomodate the mods made to the crank. I think it has a special use.
Any info you can give me will be appreciated.
Thank you

Just an idea, but maybe it was done for use in a 383 block for a stroker engine.

measure the bearing surfaces
know exactly what you have
what it will fit too

if it's a stroker crank for a B-series low-deck block
the main bearing journals will be machined to fit
the smaller B-series low deck block

the centerline from the mains to the journals centerline
will tell you stroke

many cranks had knife grind edges counterweights
some are reduced in diameter too to fit
& not create as much windage, it also lightens the crankshaft
no reason if it has the proper dimensions
that you couldn't use it in a street motor/engine

good luck

photos & dimensions would help to explain the intended use

I didn't think it would be a candidate for street use but if you think it might be used. I will look into using it on a 440 engine I am going to rebuild.
Jerry Hall brought up the idea that it could be used in a 383. I did not think the cranks would be interchangeable with a 440 crank. I'm just concerned about the stroke using a 383 block.
Anyway, thanks for your info.

I didn't think it would be a candidate for street use but if you think it might be used. I will look into using it on a 440 engine I am going to rebuild.
Jerry Hall brought up the idea that it could be used in a 383. I did not think the cranks would be interchangeable with a 440 crank. I'm just concerned about the stroke using a 383 block.
Anyway, thanks for your info.
As stated by someone else, you need to know exactly what you have as far as main journals and stroke. Basically a 440 crank in a 383 is going to give you a 432 stroker. In a 400 block 30 over is a 451 stroker. Exact bore and stroke needs to be known. There are many combinations, but using what you have always cost less money. Both will require pistons for the application as well as end compression ratio.

Auto Transport Service
Back