• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TF 727 383 and 440

vsj100

Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
Mine is a 68 Coronet 500 that came with a 383. Now it has a 440. What changes do I need to make to the 727 so it will work behind the 440?
Thanks as always!
Scott

Assuming both were forged crank engines, nothing must be done.

All 727s are pretty close. If it's a stock 440 no real need to worry. If it needs a rebuild then I can tell you what to improve.
Doug

Thanks - I thought that the balance was different for the 440 - torque convertor, harmonic balancer etc. Now I'm learning that there is no difference in balance right? I'm trying to solve a vibration issue. The transmission is the last hope.

You have to tell us more about the 440, mainly the crank and rods that it has. Like #41 said.

If the 440 has a "fat" harmonic balancer it means it has a cast crank, and will need a weighted torque convertor. The 383, 99% of the time has a non weighted torque convertor.
That is most likely a vibration problem.

Thanks - I thought that the balance was different for the 440 - torque convertor, harmonic balancer etc. Now I'm learning that there is no difference in balance right? I'm trying to solve a vibration issue. The transmission is the last hope.
Only if has 6 pac rods, or if it's a cast crank motor. Both can be identified by looking at the harmonic damper. Cast crank will have the words "cast crank only" on the dampner A 6 pac dampner will have a large section of weight added. It will be easily visible.
Doug

Only if has 6 pac rods, or if it's a cast crank motor. Both can be identified by looking at the harmonic damper. Cast crank will have the words "cast crank only" on the dampner A 6 pac dampner will have a large section of weight added. It will be easily visible.
Doug
He needs to verify what crank is in the motor. All he said is I have a 440. Could be a Frankenstein of parts like a cast crank motor with a forged balancer.

And, not to be captain obvious here:

But the changes that may be needed for a internally vs externally balanced engine does not affect the transmission itself, but rather the torque converter (or flexplate).

Great - I will verify all of this tomorrrow.

Great - I will verify all of this tomorrrow.
All transmissions are the same balanced. 0.
The replaceable torque converter, has to match the cranks balance.

The balancer is "cast crank only" Could this mean a mismatch between the torque convertor/flex plate and the balancer?
Can I verify anything through the trans inspection cover?
Is the torque convertor specific to the 440 or can 383 and 440 use the same TC?
Thanks!

440 cast crank torque convertor needs one of these----------the weight. And yes you can see thru the inspection cover.

P1010013.JPG

The balancer is "cast crank only" Could this mean a mismatch between the torque convertor/flex plate and the balancer?
Can I verify anything through the trans inspection cover?
Is the torque convertor specific to the 440 or can 383 and 440 use the same TC?
Thanks!
So you most likely have a cast crank motor. However it still could be a forged crank motor with the wrong cast crank balancer. Not knowing what crank is in the motor is a gamble. You can roll the dice with the cast external balance converter and keep your fingers crossed.

Here's is my report.
1. The 2 trans nuts were loose and tightening them made the vibration worse
2. There is no weight on my TC so those who put this machine together didn't know better
3. While it is very fast I do not intend to race it. Please offer suggestions on the new TC and trans rebuild tips
Thanks!

If you plan on changing the TC anyways..
I'd tack on the proper weight and try it..

If the 440 has a "fat" harmonic balancer it means it has a cast crank, and will need a weighted torque convertor. The 383, 99% of the time has a non weighted torque convertor.
That is most likely a vibration problem.
Thank you! I believe this is my problem. The TC has no weight. It is a cast crank motor.

This is from a 76 400 truck, I believe the 400/ 440 are the same
20240312_130625.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back