• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 build up

So for the time being I would need to find more of a OEM cam if keeping the stock converter and that would be a few have said the RR cam was a good alternative?

No. The Victory Library is simply wrong, and in more than a few places.
I often wondered about that, 231 seemed like a lot of duration to go with .455.
That said, stock Roadrunner cam at .050 was 214/225, correct?

For the 272/.455 cam, Victory Library shows the measured duration in the little note.

Think it's the same thing as Sealed Power CS1148R.

for those 67 and earlier see below
other info
Crane used to sell rocker arm adjusting screws
99802 3/8 24 thread 5/16 ball with nuts Mopar
99680 7/16-20 3/8 ball (ford FE)
We used to put the Ford adjusters in the Mopar Iron Rockers for better wear- sometimes relocated
but oil through the pushrods also works

Mullen used to have stands and offset stands (machine off stock stands) to relocate shafts

those of you doing 67 and earlier the lifters and pushrods had smaller cups/ balls
I strongly recommend you upgrade to 68 and later design- and to AMC/ Magnum style lifters and pushrods
do not mix early and late rockers/ pushrods - either way- you will have metal in your motor

On Mopar Performance Cams-- several different vendors for each nominal size over the years
for a long time MP did not publish .050 numbers
Mopar production and DC-MP use a unique way to figure advertised duration
They take the blueprint and note where the clearance ramp meets the acceleration ramp and add 8 degrees (roughly 4 on open side and 4 on closed side but not exactly
Think how a different height ramp affects compared to the @.004 or @.006 or .008 or even .009 Isky
SAE method where you measure valve at .006 is the only way to compare easily (that's .004 at the lifter with 1.5 rocker but changes with other ratios
Aftermarket makes "Blueprint Cams" and "our version of" cams some of which have a lot more at .050 than the Magnum cams
The stock Magnum cams (B and LA) have low "intensity" so it's easy to jack up the lift or area under the curve
Did we ever do this with "stock" cams :)

For the 272/.455 cam, Victory Library shows the measured duration in the little note.

Think it's the same thing as Sealed Power CS1148R.

I try not to spend too much time trying to figure out where incorrect information comes from. The Library clearly has little or no stock in "their" numbers if they put a note in with someone else's number that is completely different.

Mopar never published any true and accurate info on their cams, clearly on purpose. For 20 years they would tell you that the 0.050" duration was advertised duration x 0.85. Complete non-sense. Sad part, many people actually believed that stuff.

Oh look, just did the math............ 272 x 0.85 = 231°

Take mis-information, publish it, and it become almost impossible to unravel.

Last edited:
I believe 231 degrees was what Mopar advertised at the time. It's what I recall seeing on the box.

I try not to spend too much time trying to figure out where incorrect information comes from. The Library clearly has little or no stock in "their" numbers if they put a note in with someone else's number that is completely different.

Mopar never published any true and accurate info on their cams, clearly on purpose. For 20 years they would tell you that the 0.050" duration was advertised duration x 0.85. Complete non-sense. Sad part, many people actually believed that stuff.

So, MoPar lied to us then?
(Not that everyone else tells the truth 100% of the time ether! LMAO!)
This is what your saying. Correct?
I did say, “Conflicting information.”

I'm just saying, not trying to trigger anybody.

I've probably installed 6 DC - MP cams. None ever came with published numbers from DC or MP. If you called them, they would tell you to multiply by 0.85.

Motown Performance Cams (Wolverine Blue Racer) showed all HP B-RB cams as the same even when matching different years part numbers
Their WG-1121 matches the earlier 440 HP cam 2268405, 2532190 395 Hp 413 as 206/[email protected] 260/268 .434/.431 In 110 ex 116 or 113lca

Motown Performance Cams (Wolverine Blue Racer) showed all HP B-RB cams as the same even when matching different years part numbers
Their WG-1121 matches the earlier 440 HP cam 2268405, 2532190 395 Hp 413 as 206/[email protected] 260/268 .434/.431 In 110 ex 116 or 113lca

Wyrmrider have you ever used that 206/209 .434/.431 cam in anything? I have a copy of it lying around.

Btw, the Blue Racer # for the 1968 and up 383-440 HP cam (115 LSA) is possibly WG-5028.

Last edited:
The only Wolverine cam I ever used made me never use another one...lol. Huge turd. Like - way beyond normal turdy turd...lol

Wolverine is like Sealed Power (FM) Elgin and the other big Detroit Grinders (who do you think grinds most of the big hot rod re-boxers shelf cams?)
We used to be able to buy cams (One with lots of lift and duration)for around $30, less than a billet, then regrind the intake or both
Their quality is excellent compared to the hot rod grinders (most of them ) back in the day
but their cams tend to be lazy and wide lca.
I've run that 413 cam back in the day and it worked fine- actually looks better now than it did then but I suspect long ramps.
Back in the day regrinders- even big name regrinders would take factory hot rod cams and but the grind on other billets
I was looking in my early 80's Cam Dynamics catalog (when they were still in Memphis) and was buying Mopar cams for $60 and their Super Stock Cheater for about $100
On that Wolverine it would be interesting to put it through the "computer smoothing" software
Lots of cams from back in the day were pretty "jerky"
Then grinders went too smooth
I see where Rick Jones (Controlled Induction) has some new smoothing software- It will be interesting if he can make something useful out of it- I would not bet against him.
Those of you suggesting cams I suggest you take a look at the demo on the Controlled Induction website
software would be worth the $$ if you are serious about it-

I remember when Mopar was saying to use that equation to figure 0.050" duration, and I never believed it. I did not have any Mopar cams to measure to get the real numbers (still don't have any Mopar performance cams, haven't used one in almost 25 years.)

I remember when Mopar was saying to use that equation to figure 0.050" duration, and I never believed it. I did not have any Mopar cams to measure to get the real numbers (still don't have any Mopar performance cams, haven't used one in almost 25 years.)

Right. Most that did not believe it either just wrote it off as MA Mopar thinks there cams are top secret stuff and didn't want to share, or that they did not want people to be able to really compare their cams to others. A lot of people would simply buy their cam because Mopar convinced them they were the best.

A bit off topic, not sure when cam manufacturers started listing 0.050" duration numbers? maybe late 1970's to early 1980's?
Back then, hard tech info was hard to get, no internet and mostly just advertisements where performance parts were "magic".

Auto Transport Service
Back