• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 engine identification help needed

Terry Kitzman

Local time
1:00 AM
Reaction score
I am trying to get the details on the 383 in my 66 Charger, The block vin. is #0B32471 Can I find the year etc. on the engine with just this number? Thank you.

Should have a stamp in the pad near the distributor like A383, B383, C383 etc with a date below that too. I think 66 should be B383

IMG_2752.jpeg

Look at the flat area by your distributor. If a 66 383 then will be stamped B 383 and if a true 4bbl engine an HP towards the bottom like in the above post.

Should be a 70 383
So the upper pad will say F383 and side cast date 69, or 70

I am trying to get the details on the 383 in my 66 Charger, The block vin. is #0B32471 Can I find the year etc. on the engine with just this number? Thank you.

What do you mean by "etc"? There should be a date and part # cast right into the side of the block that will give you information.

Agree 1970 383, in a car built in Hamtramck, I think.
0 is the year, B is the assembly plant, xxxxxx is the last 6 digits of the Vin of the original car.

Look at the flat area by your distributor. If a 66 383 then will be stamped B 383 and if a true 4bbl engine an HP towards the bottom like in the above post.
Pretty sure my 66 did not have an HP stamp. I don't think they designated them as such in 66.

1708367541227.png

I don't think my other one has an HP marking either.

Interesting. Was that not a distinction until 1967s?

383's were only 4 barrels in 66, except in full size cars and trucks.

You know these are old engines. Anything could be lurking inside. All anything will tell you is how it was originally equipped. Quite meaningless if anything has been changed. I would be more concerned about bearing sizing, cylinder boring and other important things you will never know unless it is disassembled.

The question I had is can I get the info. from the number I supplied. This engine is not original to the car. I think it might have come from a Duster but I really don't know.

The question I had is can I get the info. from the number I supplied. This engine is not original to the car. I think it might have come from a Duster but I really don't know.
No 70 big block A bodies.
Most likely out of a C body.
All you have there is a year(70) and a plant.
The rest is that particular cars serial #.

383's were only 4 barrels in 66, except in full size cars and trucks.
Yep. Corrected. The 361 was the 2bbl and all 383s in 66 were 4bbl. The HP indicator was started in 67.

0= 1970 Model year
B= Plant= Hamtramck
32471= One digit short of a full six digit VIN

70 Hamtrack built A and E bodies. Since there were no 70 383- A bodies, it has to be out of an E body. Getting the full VIN will tell us if it's out of a Challenger or Barracuda..

383-2 Challengers and Barracudas exist.

For some reason that was a popular choice for SE's and Gran Coupes.

Auto Transport Service
Back