• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Oil Pick Up Tube

50 Coupe

Local time
9:58 PM
Reaction score
So, like many others, I had to cut some length off a new pickup tube. It was about 1/2 inch too long so I cut it and ran a thread cleaner on it so it screws in nicely. However, all the way in and tight it is about 180 deg. from where it needs to be. I have to turn it counter clock wise to fit position correctly but that means it will not be tight. If I leave it there, it won't have much room to move because the pan baffle (not windage tray) wont allow it to swing more than 1/2 - 3/4 inch either way. Should I try some thread locker on it or just leave it as it is?

Keep in mind this is an old motor that 'ran when pulled' but turns freely and looks pretty clean inside. I have replaced timing gears and chain, etc. My hope is it get it to run then fit it in this old '50 Business Coupe but plan to pull and rebuild after I get the car sorted out.

Teflon tape on the threads.

I like the Teflon tape idea before trying another cut. Anyone know if the basic white Teflon tape will be ok used here without problems from oil or heat?

Auto Transport Service
Back