• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 vs 440 Down the Road...

P-38Sam

Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
Hi,
My apologies if I posted this to the wrong forum. New to site.
I see more cars with 383's in better condition than some 440 cars.

My question is this:
I see some cars where the 440 was an option, but they are in rougher shape. I see the same car, but with a 383 in much better shape.
Down the road, say both maintained to be same condition 20years down the road, is the 440 of driver quality a better car to buy than a better condition 383?

Sorry for the newbie question. Trying to educate myself. Thanks for the info in advance.
Sam

I dont think it matters. You can do almost anything you want to a 383 or 440. And still be happy with the outcome. As for values. It all depends on the model of car.

Have fun with what you aquire.

383s are generally stronger blocks and can rev a little higher, but in the end there's not much difference.

The 383 and 340 are my favorite engines.

I've owned several "R" blocks, 383s and now own a "RB" 440. 383s have been very dependable for me and have plenty of get up and go. They really rev up quickly and have good power.

The 440 is a real powerhouse with unreal torque. There seems to be no top end to it compared to the 383. Not putting down a 383 one bit, I'd own another one in a heartbeat. It's just a noticeable difference between the two in this sense but they both are dependable power plants.

R block is Hemi

I'm guessing what he meant is he had the 3 main ones ?

R block is Hemi

I'm guessing what he meant is he had the 3 main ones ?
I think you mean "R" code for Hemi? Gen II hemi, like the 413/426/440 is an RB Block. What I think khryslerkid meant was "B" block 383?

I've owned several "R" blocks, 383s and now own a "RB" 440. 383s have been very dependable for me and have plenty of get up and go. They really rev up quickly and have good power.

The 440 is a real powerhouse with unreal torque. There seems to be no top end to it compared to the 383. Not putting down a 383 one bit, I'd own another one in a heartbeat. It's just a noticeable difference between the two in this sense but they both are dependable power plants.
Typo "B" block?

If I'm not mistaken there were some RB block 383's.

I've found the 383 runs smoother and has enough power to move a B-Body just fine. 440 gets up to speed faster but 383 likes to stay at higher rpms for extended time.

The 440s also had more torque that might stress unibody more.

Let’s talk stock engines to keep this simple. They are both very reliable engines. The 440 has a lot more torque. A 440 Will pull a hill, tow a trailer, burn rubber and 1/4 mile ET WAY better than a 383. They are my choice if power is desired.

I prefer a 440 GTX to a 383 road runner. It’s because of the torque. To really understand the torque difference drive each one with a 4 speed and 3.55 gears. Look how much you have to feather the clutch on the 383, and how you can’t lug the engine as much. You can let the clutch out on a 440 at idle and it won’t kill the engine. Big difference in how they drive.

Yes you can rev the 383, but so what the 440 will be ahead of you already! Keep in mind this is all with stock engines to compare apples to apples.

It’s why everybody want a stroker engine these days, more torque and power.

They both respond to modifications very well. You can make a lot of power with each one. If you do the exact same mods to each one the 440 will still be out in front.

Let’s talk stock engines to keep this simple. They are both very reliable engines. The 440 has a lot more torque. A 440 Will pull a hill, tow a trailer, burn rubber and 1/4 mile ET WAY better than a 383. They are my choice if power is desired.

I prefer a 440 GTX to a 383 road runner. It’s because of the torque. To really understand the torque difference drive each one with a 4 speed and 3.55 gears. Look how much you have to feather the clutch on the 383, and how you can’t lug the engine as much. You can let the clutch out on a 440 at idle and it won’t kill the engine. Big difference in how they drive.

Yes you can rev the 383, but so what the 440 will be ahead of you already! Keep in mind this is all with stock engines to compare apples to apples.

It’s why everybody want a stroker engine these days, more torque and power.

They both respond to modifications very well. You can make a lot of power with each one. If you do the exact same mods to each one the 440 will still be out in front.
No comparison. I had a '69 383 RoadRunner. In my garage sitting next to my '69 GTX. I sold the RoadRunner. (Unfortunately it wasn't exactly base model to base model because RoadRunner was a console automatic transmission vs console delete 4-speed in GTX) It may have been a closer comparison if reversed? But for me? One truely misses some of the muscle car experience with an automatic transmission? JMO.

30712.jpg RoadRunner front quarter.jpg

Auto vs 4 speed comparison is a while different debate.

I used the 4 speed examples because you can really see the torque difference between the 2 engines.

Auto vs 4 speed comparison is a while different debate.

I used the 4 speed examples because you can really see the torque difference between the 2 engines.
It is. As I mentioned it made the comparison skewed. Had the 383 RoadRunner been the 4-speed and 440 GTX automatic? Much tougher debate.

Hi,
My apologies if I posted this to the wrong forum. New to site.
I see more cars with 383's in better condition than some 440 cars.

My question is this:
I see some cars where the 440 was an option, but they are in rougher shape. I see the same car, but with a 383 in much better shape.
Down the road, say both maintained to be same condition 20years down the road, is the 440 of driver quality a better car to buy than a better condition 383?

Sorry for the newbie question. Trying to educate myself. Thanks for the info in advance.
Sam

I think it is an observation based on production numbers. There were many more 383 powered cars than those with 440s.
Also, the 440 powered cars were usually the highest trim level (much lower production numbers) cars like the Coronet R/T and Plymouth GTX.
The 383 was available as either standard equipment in cars like the Plymouth Road Runner, and optional in almost every other model of the Coronet and Satellite.

Besides the difference in production numbers, the buyers paying extra for the 440 powered cars were likely more interested in performance and racing than many (but not all) who bought 383 powered cars.

On top of that, most 440 powered cars came with axle gear ratios that were usually lower (Higher number like 3.54:1 or 4.10:1) than most of the 383 powered cars with taller gears like 3.23:1 and less.

Then there is where you "see" the cars. Real nice 440 powered cars are expensive, and might not be street driven as often as the larger number of 383 powered cars?

Last edited:
Both are really good engines, you’ll always get out of them what you put into them. Size does matter, like comparing a smaller engine to the big one, bore, stroke always matter. Street use torque is king horsepower is important but torque moves the load. I feel you can’t go wrong with either. Both are well designed and durable, especially compared to other brands engines, some where better than others but some are much worse.. A 409 Chevy wasn’t known to want stick together nor a 454 especially if you run them really hard.

Maybe I have it wrong, but I feel like the OP is asking more about the value of the car 20 years down the road rather than performance between a 383 and 440 car.

Assuming numbers correct, as optioned cars when built, I believe 440 cars will continue to be valued more than 383 equipped cars. They are less common and therefore cost more. Once an engine has been changed in the car, then all bets are off. For example, I don't believe a 383 car with a 440 transplanted in it is worth more than the original 383 equipped car.

The 383 and 440 are both very good mopar power plants with lots of potential to build up to the performance you prefer but the machine work cost the same for both and aftermarket performance parts like heads, intakes, cams, headers cost the same for both so the big difference is the ol' saying....there is NO substitution for cubic inches. For that reason I've always been a 440 guy.

Auto Transport Service
Back