• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed convserion

steve from staten island

Local time
3:38 PM
Reaction score
Im pleased to tell all that I started my 4 speed conversion. I got a good trans from a member here and another member rebuilt it and did a fantastic job at a reasonable price.
I got all the other parts from Brewers and they are great to deal with.
I have a few more things to do and it should be complete
I could not get the reverse lights to stay on and so changed the switch on the trans which had a slight leak. The new switch was very sensitive and now that works perfectly
The pedal installation depends on if your dash is apart. If its not learned from a video its easier to leave the original pedal box in place and do the conversion on your back...Of course take out the front seats. I did remove the box and converted it on the bench but found it to hard to. get it back under the dash in place , plus the pin that holds the spring kept falling out.
It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought
The bracket that holds the z bar is another story. In retrospect it would be better to install it with the trans out and drop the exhaust pipe. You can position it and line it all up but welding it is another story as I just couldnt see up there. I tried a small hand held shield and it was still no go.
I wound up cutting some of the inner fender well away were the bracket is and doing it through the wheel well.
I would say maybe if the trans is not installed you may have a better chance to see it.
Im a retired boilermaker and have been welding as a trade for over 40years, I have a CV/CC welder and a suitcase type wire feeder but they are bulky and have cables for the feeder, you need space and my garage is very small....When retire from my side work I plan on selling all my welding machines and so with this mindset I bought a Miller 211 mig machine .
I used this machine specifically for this job and of course all future projects
Im excited to get the car on the road, its been a very very long time since I had a 4 speed
So thats were im at and thanks for reading my post

Hey Steve.
Good to see ya posting.
You will like the Miller machine.
Please keep us updated on the conversion. It was the single best modification I did to my coronet

Steve, you're ahead of me on this. I plan on doing this to my Coronet, hopefully this year ? I'm in for more pics too !

Welcome back @steve from staten island

It's good to know of your positive experiences with other members here. Can you post your accolades and let us know their FBBO names? You know, a "shout out" post for members that you did business with.

Welcome back @steve from staten island

It's good to know of your positive experiences with other members here. Can you post your accolades and let us know their FBBO names? You know, a "shout out" post for members that you did business with.
Wayne, you've been a good friend to me and I appreciate it... The guy who did my trans did my 8 3/4 rear. I was very happy and he is a really good guy, I wanted to publicly acknowledge him back when he did the rear but he asked me not to.
However if anyone is in a couple of hours of me and they are interested I could reach out to him and see if he is available

Steve are you taking any pictures?

I’ve been thinking of doing the same to my 68 Coronet convertible.

Appreciate any pointers, like you said about the pedals.
Well I didn't take any pictures. I just welded the new tunnel hump section on the other day.
If your car is complete I can certainly give you my experiences....
There is a few good U tube videos out there
Its not as hard as I thought it was going to be.
I did take the easier way out and got most of the parts from Brewers as not having any experience with Mopars and not knowing what I would be looking at, Brewers or Passion performance saved me a lot of time.
It was expensive however and in fact I was taken back at what the parts cost besides the transmission itself
Call or PM anytime, id be more than happy to help in anyway

Know your feeling on not enough room. When doing body work on my car some places just where a real pain. Welding blind is no fun but that is what it takes some time. Good luck and yes pic's please.

Well I didn't take any pictures. I just welded the new tunnel hump section on the other day.
If your car is complete I can certainly give you my experiences....
There is a few good U tube videos out there
Its not as hard as I thought it was going to be.
I did take the easier way out and got most of the parts from Brewers as not having any experience with Mopars and not knowing what I would be looking at, Brewers or Passion performance saved me a lot of time.
It was expensive however and in fact I was taken back at what the parts cost besides the transmission itself
Call or PM anytime, id be more than happy to help in anyway

Thanks for the offer Steve!

Auto Transport Service
Back