• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed oil

69'Net

Local time
2:38 PM
Reaction score
Everyone says to run sae 90 gl4 in their 4 speeds. I cany source this locally anywhere, i cant even find it onlune. Closest thing I can find on the shelf is valvoline 80-90. The back of the bottle says gl5 and gl4. Can I run this

Not a Pennzoil fan but this stuff does work well.

pennzoil syncromesh.jpg

Read the label before buying! It has been a few years since I bought any. Back then there wasn't any ATF based lube. Thanks for the clarification.

Brewers says use this sta-lube SL-24239.
Brewers is a vendor that specializes in mopar 4 speeds.

1ED52FB9-7C14-48C6-A453-8F8E74F9465D.jpeg

Try Passon Performance
Passon Performance
309 Turkey Path, Sugarloaf, PA 18249
Great web site.....www.passonperformance.com
They manufacturer MOPAR transmissions and parts. Call them and inquire what they recommend,
BTW....mashed bananas and peels are quite slippery and promote quick shifting......
I use synthetic Mobil one 75w-90 gear oil and have for 35 years, in spite of what others use, or think.....use the FSM for MOPAR's recommendation.
BOB RENTON

IF you live in a cold area.....heavy oil may not like being used.....

Thanks for the replies. I did find gl4 straight 140? I live in south Texas, its hot

Where, may I ask? I can’t find straight 140 around here.
Try calling the oil companies or do a google search in your area. Synthetic's.have a broader temperature range snd viscosity index. Compare the SSU index. IMO.....stay away from 140 grade too thick to circulate thru the needle bearings.....but its up to you....
BOB RENTON

Try calling the oil companies or do a google search in your area. Synthetic's.have a broader temperature range snd viscosity index. Compare the SSU index. IMO.....stay away from 140 grade too thick to circulate thru the needle bearings.....but its up to you....
BOB RENTON
Thanks for the reply. Not wanting to highjack this thread. I used to buy it from my fuel/oil supplier, I use it in a couple of bush hog gearboxes. I’d never use it in a transmission. All I can find anymore is 85W/140.

A transmission doesn't need hypoid gear lube like 80w90 etc. because a trans does not receive the shock loads like a R&P receives. But it does work...

According to my dealer experience ('68-'72) 833's came with type B ATF.

Cars run in high temps can use 80w90.

GM Syncromesh fluid is about 50W and is a good all around lube. All GM Syncromesh fluid , regardless of brand, is made by Mobil.

GL5 lubes like to eat yellow metals like blocking rings.

I buy Sta-Lube GL4 transmission lube at NAPA in my area.

Auto Transport Service
Back