• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed with a/c

m38jeepman

Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
On '66 coronets how unusual is a 4 speed car equipped with air conditioning? I really like the early 4 speeds and I just thought it would be a rare combo. Has anyone on the board got a car like it.

I also know where a 67 gtx is with air, is that very common?

You could get a 383 4 speed with A/C, but not a 440 4 speed. So the GTX, if factory A/C equipped, will be an automatic

You could get a 383 4 speed with A/C, but not a 440 4 speed. So the GTX, if factory A/C equipped, will be an automatic

I've seen some documentation that a 440 4-speed GTX with A/C was not available from 1968 on, but I believe it was available in the '67 (according to the Red Book). What do you base your statement on?

Dan

35+ years of messing with Mopars. Long talks with Galen, including one about a 440 4 speed equipped C body vert. A/C was not available from the factory with a 440 4 speed

35+ years of messing with Mopars. Long talks with Galen, including one about a 440 4 speed equipped C body vert. A/C was not available from the factory with a 440 4 speed

I sold Dodges new from 1968-1974 and agree that the factory did not offer a 4 speed with A/C in anything larger than a 383/330. In fact when you ordered a RR or SB with 4 speed and A/C you got the 330 h.p. rather than the 335 h.p.

HOWEVER, As with all auto manufacturers back in the day, if you had any pull with someone at the corporate level you could get anything you wanted built. It was usually factory V.I.P.s that had the "special" stuff built. I have never seen these but have HEARD of 426 Hemis with A/C, so I would guess that there may have been a 440 H.P. with 4 speed and A/C or two built as well.

You won't find any factory literature that said you could get it though.

If you had such a car the burden of proof would be on you to prove it came that way from the factory.

My 1969 Six Pack Super Bee was in the beginning stages of being converted to factory A/C when I got it and I have bought the compressor, mount, condensor, etc to finish it but have not yet completed it. We are seeing more and more of this in the hobby with cars being "restified" (restored/modified) because people want to be comfortable and be able to drive their old muscle cars more often. So, it is not unlikely that you may see cars like this today that even though they may LOOK factory, they indeed are not.

I've seen some documentation that a 440 4-speed GTX with A/C was not available from 1968 on, but I believe it was available in the '67 (according to the Red Book). What do you base your statement on?

Dan

Dan, while it can be a handy reference for some things, there are a lot of mistakes in the Red Book. Here is the information from the '67 Plymouth Data book:

67_Belvedere_AC_630.jpg

Good discussion. The gtx is an automatic car. It is not numbers matching and it needs restoring. I was wondering if it was very common. I always think of a gtx being stripped down car.

The 66 coronet 500 is the 4 speed with air. It needs restoring also.
It was dark metallic blue with white bucket seat interior. Console, Tach, a/c and 383 4 speed. I was thinking about putting it under the shed for a future project.
So it is not unusual?

The 66 coronet 500 is the 4 speed with air. It needs restoring also.
It was dark metallic blue with white bucket seat interior. Console, Tach, a/c and 383 4 speed. I was thinking about putting it under the shed for a future project.
So it is not unusual?

Sorry...the thread got off topic. Any four speed A/C car is unusual. That's a pretty scarce combination.

Thats alright. Any discussion about these cars is fun to read. Keep responding.

True about pull and getting things that didn't exist. One car that supposedly didn't exist is a 70 300 Hurst vert with a Hemi.

Yeah, that throws up a LOT of red flags. A 300 Hurst vert? A C body with a 426 Hemi? I've seen this car, probably close to 20 years ago. And truthfully I didn't take a look cause I didn't believe it was real and therefore worth my time. I'd like the chance to give it a good look now, cause I know much more than I did then.

Anyone else ever seen or heard of this particular car?

I just went thru my 65-68 Ross Roy data books which offered many NA on 383 4spds
however on closely viewing it seemed you could get a 383 4spd most years w/ 2.94 axle NO FUN. This being said from years starting specs to mid year offerings there were changes often so looks likr rr is as close to any guess. Remember 63-65 were 330 hp 66-67 325 due to a cam change resulting in a poochier car(is that a word)? 68- 70 were again 330 hp. The 66 Coro 500 I had back in the day before I ordered my 69 Super Bee was weak!!

Even though the first year that the 440 was offered in the B-Body line was 1967, I've heard that it was possible to "special order" a 440 on a 1966 Charger, but I've never heard of any factory built 440 powered 1966 Coronet's, 4 speed, or automatic.

Richard

Comments regarding several of the above remarks:

1. I have heard of the 1970 Hemi Hurst Chyrsler but have never seen it. I would check
on the C body drydock web site for more info.

2. According to the Dodge Dealer Data Books:
The h.p. rating for the 383 in 1966 was 325 and was only available in a 4 barrel
version in a B body.
The h.p. rating for the 1966 440 was 350 and there was no 375 HP version. It was
only available in C bodies. If you could have "special ordered" a 440 in a Charger it
theoritically could have also been ordered in a Coronet as the engine bays are the
same.
3. For 1967 the 383 4 barrel in a B body had the 3.23 axle was std. and was not
effected by the A/C option as the 1966 was.
4. The standard axle ratio for a RR or SB in 1968,69,70 was a 3.23 and was available
with UP TO a 3.55 with A/C, however as previously stated, when A/C was ordered in
the RR or SB the engine was cut back to a 330 h.p. engine rather than the std. 335

Auto Transport Service
Back