• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does a 1967 R/T non-CAP dual snorkel air cleaner look like??

Owned since new?
No. I am second owner since 1984. I was a young 24 at the time. It's been garaged it's entire life. It's been in 'storage' since '97. The kids are grown so now's the time. I am readying it to start this spring. I'm currently rebuilding the carb.

I have the large unsilenced no-snorkle air cleaner on my 1967 R/T. It has black wrinkle finish with red 440 MAGNUM pie pan. I like it because it is not as often seen as the dual snorkle one. Plus, when you nail the gas pedal, it says," WHAAAAAH" ! This air cleaner is more commonly seen on Big Block 1967-1968 A-body. I have some Chrysler engineering papers announcing the new High Performance 440 motor for 1967. In addition to all the spec's for the engine, these papers go on to say what special equipment was included in the package for the cars that received this engine. In these papers, it implied that 4-speed cars would get the unsilenced no-snorkle air cleaner, while the automatic transmission cars would have the dual snorkle silenced one. In actual practice on the assembly line, I don't think this was the case; more of "what's in the parts box today?".
I am not trying to pass my choice of air cleaner off as original; just what I like. My car was a very solid, complete roller when I bought it, missing Its powertrain. I was able to find a very complete, unmolested 440/727 out of a junkyard 1968 New Yorker at a good price, so that is what is in it now. I had the 350 h.p. 440 rebuilt to 375 h.p. spec's. and put '67 chome valve covers on it. No one has ever busted my chops about it, yet.

P7030084.JPG

IMG_3215.jpg

I have the large unsilenced no-snorkle air cleaner on my 1967 R/T. It has black wrinkle finish with red 440 MAGNUM pie pan. I like it because it is not as often seen as the dual snorkle one. Plus, when you nail the gas pedal, it says," WHAAAAAH" ! This air cleaner is more commonly seen on Big Block 1967-1968 A-body. I have some Chrysler engineering papers announcing the new High Performance 440 motor for 1967. In addition to all the spec's for the engine, these papers go on to say what special equipment was included in the package for the cars that received this engine. In these papers, it implied that 4-speed cars would get the unsilenced no-snorkle air cleaner, while the automatic transmission cars would have the dual snorkle silenced one. In actual practice on the assembly line, I don't think this was the case; more of "what's in the parts box today?".
I am not trying to pass my choice of air cleaner off as original; just what I like. My car was a very solid, complete roller when I bought it, missing Its powertrain. I was able to find a very complete, unmolested 440/727 out of a junkyard 1968 New Yorker at a good price, so that is what is in it now. I had the 350 h.p. 440 rebuilt to 375 h.p. spec's. and put '67 chome valve covers on it. No one has ever busted my chops about it, yet.

View attachment 1642049

View attachment 1642088

that's the one that came on my 68..... 440 auto

View attachment 1642049

View attachment 1642088

Nick's Garage has a pretty good air cleaner info page as well. Looking at the '67 big block section, it mentions a tall and short version of the 13 rib air cleaner.
I had both. The tall version wouldn't even fit under the hood of the GTX. Even the shorter version would rub the hood pad but I think this was due to the previous owner running a 1" spacer under the Edelbrock carb.
Conversely, this owner also made a custom base to fit the Edelbrock as well...

Nick's Garage - Air Cleaner Identification

View attachment 1642049

View attachment 1642088

This one started life as a 67 dual snorkel someone had cut the ends off of. I cleaned it up and used it on my Charger. I later changed to a drop base from an unsilenced air cleaner, so now it looks stock and roars when you open the secondaries. I also feel it traps less heat around the carb than the original closed base.

IMG_20220905_155046330.jpg

IMG_20220905_154934812.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back