• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400/512 stroker project begins.

Heimedw

Local time
10:09 PM
Reaction score
20180915_180821.jpg
I have never done a project thread before so bare with me. It's not going to be a overnight build, so there will be a few months of posts. I will take and post pics along the the builds progression. So the foundation of the build is a 76 400 block ID# 4006530-400-10. I was told it's standard bore (hopefully it is). I'm looking to make in the 600hp range, 440 source 512 stroker kit, TF 240 heads, full roller, large capacity oil pan, edelbrock rpm intake, quickfuel or Holley xp 950 carb, msd distributer and can't totally decide on cam specs. Anyway I got it out of the truck tonight and on the stand. That was a tight fit lol. Next will be tare down, make sure it's standard bore, do a visual for cracks, then off to the machine shop to be magnaflux and go from there.

Sounds like you've got ambition and on the right track looking forward to progress on this build. Now all you need is cash flow, hope you got that.

The 512 sure seems good. You may want to consider the larger TF heads for the big motor.

Sounds like you've got ambition and on the right track looking forward to progress on this build. Now all you need is cash flow, hope you got that.

I sold one of my toys to fund the project. I'm also picking up as much used parts for the project as possible. I got a intake from the performance thread on this board (thanks Mike)

I am also doing a 400 to 470 build. Waiting for the machine shop to check what the bore can go to so I can give 440 source some $$$$$. Will be watching your build and compare notes.

What would you guys do with all the iron parts off the 400? I was going to take it for scrap. Lol. I wouldn't think that anyone would be looking for 400 heads and intake etc

Well I started the disassembly today, got the intake, manifolds and heads off. It's looking good. I only had one head bolt give me some trouble coming out. I think a run through with a tap will clean it up. I took a quick measurement and looks like standard bore. It even looks like original head gaskets.

20180917_102456.jpg 20180917_103711.jpg

This isn't the right tool for the bore measurement but it's close.

20180917_124619.jpg

As far as cam specs, Trick Flow offers a complete top end package, you could do that or use those cam specs as a guide. They made the 600hp mark with that combo.im a fan of their Heads.

Like 66satellite47 mentioned the 512 are strong. Mine seems to like Flow. My 440 Source 512 low deck has the 270s. I have a Dyno video in a thread if you are interested to see them in action.

I saved money by going solid flat tappet cam, and used Comp roller rockers instead of the recommended Harland Sharp rockers.

4B750794-6F48-4712-9921-56D3F9C8E2A3.jpeg

Just search my posts, sorry I don’t know how to link threads

I think you can just open your thread page with the video then copy past the "https://" address thing in a comment then post your reply and we should be able to click on the link :)

Ha, “no turbos were hurt”, CLASSIC!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back