• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400 Motor sat for 10 years

Dobaroy

Local time
9:43 AM
Reaction score
Thinking about buying a 400 motor for our '77 Cordoba, found one complete with transmission that has been sitting in storage for approx. 10 years. Will probably try turning it over by hand to see if there is any compression. Anything else I can try? Thanks

Imagine you’re getting it pretty cheap, pull the pan take a look at the rods and crank. Pull the valve covers check out the rockers and heads.

My 440 sat for ten years. I changed the oil, added a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil, made sure the cooling passages were clear, and fired it up.

Mixed gas down the hatch and let 'er rip!!

What I did to a similar set of engines;

Inspect spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor & replace as needed. Check for free moving throttle. Clear carb throat and fuel filter.
With plugs removed, arvel Mystery oil was put in the cylinders and rotated around a few times.

Install new plugs, any new parts needed and attempt a start with fresh gas.

Paint it hemi orange, now it's an HP engine:D
Fire it
Ok, maybe replace the core plugs before paint

Thanks guys for your suggestions, plan to go see it in the next couple of days. By the way it is not in the car now.

CHeck the oil in the pan. If you can see if there's clean coolant in it. Those are good signs it was good when they stuck it into storage.

If the tranny is still hooked to it, put on a starter, prime the oil pump, attach jumper cables, and do a compression test using the starter to turn it over a few turns. I tried this recently, and was getting 130 PSI readings on all but one cylinder. Number 7 was shooting red dust out the ex valve, and popping a little. Obviously rusty.

Thanks guys, haven't had a chance to get to see it yet. Now we are dealing with snow up here in Ontario this morning.

I've started up lots of engines on the floor but always used a set of headers to use mainly as 'outriggers' to help keep it from rolling over. A couple of wide wood blocks under the oil pan helped level it up some. I also bolted on positive and negative cables for a better connection. If you do it this way, do not do a quick rev as it can still roll over the 'outriggers'. You can rev a stock small block all day long and it'll sit there but that's not the case with a big block. A clip on remote starter switch works well....

Auto Transport Service
Back