• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400 or 440 build

Now your just talking silly :)

I will have to find pictures of our turbocharged 318 in our 72 satellite with air conditioning been nearly 25 years ago now. 12 lbs boost on av gas.:) it probably was pretty silly or crazy...or fun..Lol not sure which. It was a tire smoking machine. Fond memories:steering:

Last edited:
I say go for the 451, the low deck is a better block. I put a 451 in my 79 magnum with tf 240 heads and I love it, revs like a small block because 1.32 CH pistons are light, much easier on the entire assembly. For a street car it's great. Made 612 hp and 624 tq and runs pump gas power brakes with 13" vacuum, If you are buying new rotating assembly consider perhaps a 470 it's even better, that 3.91 stroke with 6.70 rods seems to just work really well it really has a great sweet spot

Which would you build a 400 or 440. I have both and was wondering which would be best. I have a 383 steel crank for the 400. Both engines are 1974 castings. I was thinking of using Trickflow top end.
470 and be done with it. $.02

Auto Transport Service
Back