• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400 versus 440

mad,

The only problem I see with your combo is the timing and maybe short duration on the exhaust side of the cam. The timing is rather counterintuitive in as much that my combo picked up greatly as we backed off from my initial setting of 36 total all the way back to 30 total. It was worth about 12 HP/15 ft.lb. across the power band. One thing to bear in mind is that pump gas burns FASTER than race fuel, it just has a little less energy. If you use too much advance, you may not be getting detonation, but your peak pressure is building too early and being wasted trying to fight itself going over TDC. The Eddie RPM's are a little small for the 500's in their stock form and what we learned was we were starting to get exhaust scavenging issues past 5000. The heads simply couldn't get the exhaust all the way out. It needs more duration on the exhaust by at least 6°, plus more lift doesn't hurt either. Yours is better than mine on the exhaust, so you may be OK there. My cam was spec'd and purchased for my engine right before I lost the stock 440 crank and went stroker. If I do go solid flat rather than roller next time, I'll be getting one more like yours, but with even a tad more exhaust duration. One last thing is that the engine responded VERY well to a 1" 4-hole on top of a 1" open, so the added volume of your Victor manifold is a good thing.

Properly sorted, you should be in the 630 - 640 range with at least 650 ft.lb. Your peak will still be under 6000 due to the small Eddies.

Did you upgrade the main caps and go to head and main studs? Anything past 600 on stock caps and bolts is begging for trouble and will at least have serious cap-walk issues.

Dan, thanks for the quick reply. Yes the caps & studs where taken care of. I didn't build the motor myself ,it was in the car when I got . Nice n fresh though,if I would have built it myself I agree a little more cam n also stage 2 ported n polished eddy's. Thanks Bob

Auto Transport Service
Back