• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

413 Head Resurfacing and Block Deck Work

Krooser

Local time
12:10 AM
Reaction score
Ok..
I'm doing a low bucknrebuild on a 413... Early closed chamber heads (1960) on a '64 block. Looking for 11-1 compression or so. I am going to square up the block and zero deck the block...flat top pistons. Any ideas of how much I will need to shave the heads to get my 11-1
Yea I know I need to know my cc's but I not sure of the specs on these early closed chamber heads...

Measure, measure, measure. It doesn't matter what the specs say. Measure the ACTUAL deck height, the ACTUAL head CC's and do the math.

Agree with above post 100%. You are not going to know until you measure.... That being said, there are some calculators out there to make it a little easier to rough guess before shaving anything... Ill look for a link in a sec.... What heads are we talking?? 200's?? Keep in mind, some adjustments can be made with differing thickness head gaskets. Also, bear in mind, dynamic compression is more important than static....wonder why you are looking for 11-1 static??

**EDIT** Start here.... Compression Ratio Simulator

Post some info that you know, and weel help fill-in some of the ones you dont.

More useful info from that site;

Dynamic CR

I come up with ~10.3-1 static with thin head gaskets and no surfacing at all, if zero deck.

Last edited:
At 11:1 what kind of fuel are you planning to run?
I'd be thinking of lowering it if it were myself.

For what it's worth, my 516 heads measured 77 cc's after a .020 clean up cut.

516 finished heads.jpg

Low buck rebuild?? All that machine work. 11 to 1 race car. When get done with deck/squaring and milling don't forget the intake will need cutting.

Ok..
I'm doing a low bucknrebuild on a 413... Early closed chamber heads (1960) on a '64 block. Looking for 11-1 compression or so. I am going to square up the block and zero deck the block...flat top pistons. Any ideas of how much I will need to shave the heads to get my 11-1
Yea I know I need to know my cc's but I not sure of the specs on these early closed chamber heads...
Small valves and ports are going to limit your output I think

The static CR is fairly unimportant compared to the shape of the port under the valve. Basic "pocket porting" is a key to performance, not CR. The BB Mopar heads have a terrible shape under the valve seat. Correcting that makes a huge difference.

Low buck rebuild?? All that machine work. 11 to 1 race car. When get done with deck/squaring and milling don't forget the intake will need cutting.
Intake only needs cutting if they don't take what's needed off the face of the head. I'd have them do that so intakes can be swapped later with less trouble if it were me. Not my engine though, if yall have preferences do what you personally prefer.

PS. I know it's an older thread. Just making sure people know of their options.

Update...

I wound up selling this engine to a local father/ son duo who were working on the son's early Chrysler project.

I had a Man's Sale and moved a bunch of tools, equipment and parts that did not meet my needs any longer.

Looking back on some older machine shop receipts I found most of the engines I have done in the recent past had the block decks shaved .100 with the intake face machined to accept any stock intake.

This 413 was the only 414 I ever owned until I found another 413 block hiding against a wall in my shop.

You'll need 75 cc at std bore with a .043 gasket. But I ask why? Poor ports on the early head. Not cheap to mill decks, heads, intake face. Besides how far are the pistons in the hole? Has to .100"+ with stock or available pistons. A lot of work to get 11-1 on something that isn't going to perform very well. Not to metion it won't run on pump gas.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back