• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Hemi Build Recommendations

jayfire

Local time
11:05 PM
Reaction score
I just pulled the 6-71 blower off my Hemi and want to keep everything under the stock hood. I would like to be around 600hp. Is that possible with an original 68 block or do I need an aftermarket block? My engine has about 100 miles on it since being built in the late 80’s. It is .030 over with Arias blower pistons. I am assuming stock crank, rods. It does have Stage V aluminum heads. If I can get 600hp with this block and just need to swap out the internals, what would you all recommend for pistons, crank, rods, cam? This is in a 68 GTX with 4 speed, Dana 60 3.23 gears and will be street driven only. Or should I sell this motor to someone you could use a date correct motor and get a crate hemi? It already has an original 68 hemi k member, so I don’t want to go through the hassle of replacing it as well. I don’t have any engine builders around here that I would be confident enough that they knew what they were talking about. My next thought was to call Ray Barton. Thanks IMG_0712.jpegIMG_9993.jpeg

Or should I sell this motor to someone you could use a date correct motor and get a crate hemi?

Well i can't really give you any advice except that this is what i would be doing.
It's the easiest option and crate engines usually come with a warranty. :)

Nice car by the way.
I think it was recently for sale, did you just buy or end up keeping it?

Will need higher compression pistons a rebalance a new cam maybe. Doubt it has aluminum rods, don't how they work on the street. 68 block good to go.

Well i can't really give you any advice except that this is what i would be doing.
It's the easiest option and crate engines usually come with a warranty. :)

Nice car by the way.
I think it was recently for sale, did you just buy or end up keeping it?
I ended up keeping it for now. I was going to get the 426 crate motor from Indy Cylinder Heads last month for $23,500. Just checked today and they jacked the price up to $30,500. Forget that crap! Looks like I’ll be building this motor.

a hemi block will easily handle 600 h.p. . you will need 11 to 1 pistons and a .600 lift cam i.m.o. .

a hemi block will easily handle 600 h.p. . you will need 11 to 1 pistons and a .600 lift cam i.m.o. .
Yes, that is close. I made around 700 (698) with a .688 solid roller in a +.030 426 with 11.5 to 1.

Hughes Engines has a stroker kit for a .030 over 426 which would make it a 472. Would my stock block need any machining/clearancing for this kit? Kit listed below:

• Molnar Technologies brand 4340 Nitride Forged Steel 8 bolt Crankshaft - 4.150" Stroke
  • Molar Technologies "H" Beam Forged Steel connecting rods 6.860"
    Length
  • ICON Premium 2618 aluminum alloy Forged 81.5cc Hemi dome pistons (p/n IC897.030) made from aerospace quality aluminum billet. Approx 824 grams / piston & pin - 4.280" Bore
  • Total Seal brand 1/16-1/16-3/16 Plasma Moly ring set
  • Clevite "V" series 1/2 groove Main Bearings
  • Clevite "V" series Rod Bearings
  • Internal Precision Race Balancing

Do you know that the bore isn't woren so .030 os will have to much piston to wall clearance. Does the engine have little run time?

Do you know that the bore isn't woren so .030 os will have to much piston to wall clearance. Does the engine have little run time?
Yes, I know the current pistons are .030 over and it has about 100 miles on the engine since being built in the late 80’s. Came from Alaska where it was trailered everywhere and only driven occasionally around the block during a few warm months.

I'm a big fan of strokers. A stroker with about 10:1 compression and a good roller cam should net you in the mid to high 500s. That is a little short of your target, but you'll be able to run on pump gas. If you up the compression, you'll get your target but (likely) be forced to use octane boosters, avgas, etc.
It's all tradeoffs and depends on what you want.

As Fran alluded to, you shouldn't order any parts until you take it apart and inspect/measure everything.

Aluminum Heads a Must. I would go 10:1, use Diamond Pistons, then i would use H beam rods, Isky solid roller cam with roller lifters ez max. I would get Stage 5 Rockers only. a mid 500 cam and single 4 barrel 780 no dual carter crap. Stay mild on stroker size to avoid the heat.

Aluminum Heads a Must. I would go 10:1, use Diamond Pistons, then i would use H beam rods, Isky solid roller cam with roller lifters ez max. I would get Stage 5 Rockers only. a mid 500 cam and single 4 barrel 780 no dual carter crap. Stay mild on stroker size to avoid the heat.
There is no Stage V rockers anymore. He died and the auction was last month.

Sad beyond belief. Stage V made so many good parts for us. FHO has bought the Stage V name etc, but I don't know which products he will be making or when they will be available.

someone bought out the stage V rocker side of stage V. Looked at buying it his wife said it was sold. Forgot who bought it. Hopefully they will be back on the market soon

If your bore would happen to be a smidgen big, line2line coatings in Michigan can graphite coat the skirts to make up for it. Worked on my stroker small block.

There is no Stage V rockers anymore. He died and the auction was last month.
Hey Rick.....loved your hemi build videos and gained alot of knowledge from you and would highly recommend anyone building one or just looking to see what the deal is with them to watch them also. Do you have any knowledge about the company in Canada making roller rocker set-ups for a reasonable price? HemiGuys is the company if I recall. Keep them videos coming as you have a very good way of making the info easily understood and simplify things. Thanks--Butch Fallon @kbfallon Motorsports

I recently bought a set of their roller rocker assemblies. I haven't run them yet. The rocker arms look great. The shafts look great. The springs look great. I was unhappy with the stands but I called the guy and he said there was a problem on some of those and he made it right with me. I put the rockers together and mocked them up on a head and the locations looked good. In March maybe I'll do a video of installing these and test running. The price is so good on these things I hope it works out for everybody. Thanks for watching.

Auto Transport Service
Back